Prickly-Critterz Forum
Prickly-Critterz Forum
Prickly-Critterz Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Fun of Having Hedgehogs as Pets

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage

The Fun of Having Hedgehogs as Pets Empty
PostSubject: The Fun of Having Hedgehogs as Pets   The Fun of Having Hedgehogs as Pets Icon_minitimeMon Sep 10, 2012 5:32 pm

Being small and quiet creatures, hedgehogs as pets are ideal for people who live in rental homes where noisy, large pets are not allowed.

Cute as a ball typically weighing 550 grams and has pines that are not sharp are what basically describe a hedgehog. It likes being alone and is active during the night. They are charming and are attractively endearing and have a funny way of breathing heavily. They are generally quiet save for a few chirps emitted out of excitement or fear.

Hedgehogs are sometimes called ‘Hedgies’. They are very inquisitive and they love exploring. They curl up into a ball when they feel threatened or frightened. That when the quills come up, too. Hedgehogs as pets do not require so much. Their supplies are not expensive. Unlike dogs that need regular exercises outdoors, hedgehogs don’t need daily walks. They don’t even require regular vet visits. Placing them in a cage roomy enough for their activities is enough to make them happy. All their essential needs may be easily found at your local pet shop.

They appear shy at first but as they get to know you and become more familiar, they warm up. Their food requirement is uncomplicated as they can live on fruits (especially bananas), vegetables, lean cooked meat. Insects are a treat to them. Hedgehogs don’ stink and are litter-box trainable. They may have quills that at first might be a concern to you but they’re harmless. They are merely keratin-based spikes that are not barbed.

Regarded as unusual type of creatures, hedgehogs as pets can be considered unique. They may still possess their wild traits having been in captivity for only two decades. But with some tender care and proper handling, they can be tamed to become sweet, lovely pets that make good companions. However, in a cage, they prefer to be alone because they are territorial in nature. It may not be long before breeders are able to come up with a truly domesticated breed of hedgehogs.

Unlike dogs, hedgehogs don’t play catch or fetch games. They just prefer to run around. While dogs or cats love attention, hedgies like their own space, thinking of their own survival. That’s how they are in their life in the wild. They appear cuddly but they are not really much into cuddling up but admittedly they are very cute. They may not be like cats or dogs but they certainly make good pets. When you decide to have hedgehogs as pets, constantly spend time with them. It will result to voice and smell recognition. Soon they will learn to trust you and feel safe when you are around. That is when you can slowly introduce gentle handling every now and then.

Once you and your pet are used one another, your pet becomes cuter each day. When it is awake, observe how it sniffs anything you place before it. Watching it play with toys you provide is also a joy in its own. This is especially true when just when it thinks you are not watching, it can run on its exercise wheel for hours. So remarkable! Another unusual but similarly cute in its own way is the way it runs around in circuits. It will spend a short moment on the wheel, then go for a drink, dash to his food bowl then run back to the wheel. He will repeat this over and over which makes him all the more fun.

Back to top Go down
Lou

Lou

PostSubject: Re: The Fun of Having Hedgehogs as Pets   The Fun of Having Hedgehogs as Pets Icon_minitimeMon Sep 10, 2012 5:56 pm

Brilliant post Helen ...

I could watch mine all day , i love watching them explore in the playpen ..
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100003745145643&ref=t
hoggyhugs

PostSubject: Re: The Fun of Having Hedgehogs as Pets   The Fun of Having Hedgehogs as Pets Icon_minitimeTue Sep 11, 2012 1:53 pm

I could too love, I love watching them eating.

Hugs

JO xx
Back to top Go down
Lou

Lou

PostSubject: Re: The Fun of Having Hedgehogs as Pets   The Fun of Having Hedgehogs as Pets Icon_minitimeTue Sep 11, 2012 2:47 pm

The fact that they all have different characters as well .x
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Fun of Having Hedgehogs as Pets   The Fun of Having Hedgehogs as Pets Icon_minitimeTue Sep 11, 2012 4:04 pm

They do - all of mine are different x
Back to top Go down
Lou

Lou

PostSubject: Re: The Fun of Having Hedgehogs as Pets   The Fun of Having Hedgehogs as Pets Icon_minitimeTue Sep 11, 2012 5:32 pm

I was thinking today about how different all of mine are ... I have such a big variety of characters .x
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Fun of Having Hedgehogs as Pets   The Fun of Having Hedgehogs as Pets Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Fun of Having Hedgehogs as Pets
Page 1 of 1