Prickly-Critterz Forum
Prickly-Critterz Forum
Prickly-Critterz Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What to Look for when Buying a Hedgehog

Go down 
+2
Gaga
6 posters
AuthorMessage

What to Look for when Buying a Hedgehog Empty
PostSubject: What to Look for when Buying a Hedgehog   What to Look for when Buying a Hedgehog Icon_minitimeThu Oct 11, 2012 1:05 pm

CLEAN ENVIRONMENT

When you got your purchase your hedgehog, make sure that the environment of the breeder is clean. Also make sure that the hedgehogs are kept in clean, spacious cages. If it looks dirty in any way, or the hedgehogs look like they are in a cramped environment, look elsewhere for your hedgehog.

SEPARATED

In addition to clean and spacious cages, make sure that the animals are housed separately. If you find that the male and female hedgehogs have been kept together after they are 8 weeks of age, avoid purchasing a female from that breeder or you may be in for a small surprise.

PROPER AGE

Make sure that the hedgehogs are the proper age when they are bred. Although they can be bred as young as 8 weeks old, you should never purchase a hedgehog from a mother or father that is younger than 5 months of age. In addition, never purchase from a mother that is over 3 and a half years old.

KNOWLEDGEABLE BREEDER

Another thing you should look for is if the breeder is knowledgeable about hedgehogs. Can they answer your questions? Do they offer advice? Make sure that the breeder knows and understands hedgehogs before you purchase from them.

PROPER DIET

When you are checking on the housing of the breeding hedgehogs, make sure that the animals are eating a good quality diet that is also versatile.

PROPER SOCIALIZATION

Make sure that the hedgehog babies are being properly handled and socialized. If the babies are not handled every 30 minutes to an hour during their active time, then you should choose a different breeder.

HEALTHY HEDGEHOGS

Make sure that the hedgehogs look healthy when you look at them. It is important for the parents to look as healthy as the young, since the health of the parents will affect the health of their babies.

ADDITIONAL SUPPORT

One of the biggest draws to purchasing from a hedgehog breeder is that many will offer you support after your hedgehog goes home. This means that you can ask any questions that you have.

The main things that you should remember when you are choosing a breeder is to find one that you feel comfortable with. If you find the area seems dirty or the hedgehogs are unhealthy, find a different breeder.

In addition, find one that will take the time to demonstrate how to handle and hold your hedgehog. Make sure that they also take the time to show you how to sex the hedgehog, and determine what the gender is, since this is very important as well.

If you follow these guidelines, you are sure to have a healthy hedgehog.

Back to top Go down
Gaga

Gaga

PostSubject: Re: What to Look for when Buying a Hedgehog   What to Look for when Buying a Hedgehog Icon_minitimeThu Oct 11, 2012 1:11 pm

i was laughing at the last one! my breeder did not do that xx
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What to Look for when Buying a Hedgehog   What to Look for when Buying a Hedgehog Icon_minitimeThu Oct 11, 2012 1:15 pm

I know Jake xx
Back to top Go down
Snufflehogs
Admin
Admin
Snufflehogs

PostSubject: Re: What to Look for when Buying a Hedgehog   What to Look for when Buying a Hedgehog Icon_minitimeThu Oct 11, 2012 2:13 pm

I got mine from a shocking breeder. Terrible she was! I think her name was Helen. pokey

Only joking babe - you're the best and my baby is perfect! I love you x x
Back to top Go down
http://snufflehogshedgehogs.co.uk
Melody
Admin
Admin
Melody

PostSubject: Re: What to Look for when Buying a Hedgehog   What to Look for when Buying a Hedgehog Icon_minitimeThu Oct 11, 2012 3:03 pm

You're funny Mel Very Happy

I've been lucky enough to have 2 fabulously tempered hoggies from Helen, Little Miss Daisy Splat and Mushroom. Both of whom I can give belly kisses to. Helen gives me all the advice I need to take care of them as well as all my friends from on here Very Happy

Unfortunately, not all hoggies are lucky enough to have been given the same best start as my Little Miss Daisy Splat or Mushroom. This can be seen by the majority of rescues that I have had come through Prickly Critterz - Except of course Noodles and Hope who have both been such sweeties Very Happy

xoxox
Back to top Go down
Snufflehogs
Admin
Admin
Snufflehogs

PostSubject: Re: What to Look for when Buying a Hedgehog   What to Look for when Buying a Hedgehog Icon_minitimeThu Oct 11, 2012 3:32 pm

I learned more on here in a couple of hours than I did trawling the tinterweb for months! It is just a pity that some other breeders don't use the same moral code as on here. It does make me sad. It's not like they're difficult to look after, all that is needed is the correct advice. I love the informative posts everyone puts on here. I also love being part of our little hoggie community! I can't imagine anyone on here not giving it 100%. I wouldn't purchase a hoggie from anyone who isn't a breeder on here.

x x Smile
Back to top Go down
http://snufflehogshedgehogs.co.uk
Lou

Lou

PostSubject: Re: What to Look for when Buying a Hedgehog   What to Look for when Buying a Hedgehog Icon_minitimeThu Oct 11, 2012 4:50 pm

Your breeder told you he was a boy ? Lol jake
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100003745145643&ref=t
Gaga

Gaga

PostSubject: Re: What to Look for when Buying a Hedgehog   What to Look for when Buying a Hedgehog Icon_minitimeThu Oct 11, 2012 4:55 pm

yeah he told me she was a he! that is why she is now transgender Wink lol xx
Back to top Go down
tayer
tayer

PostSubject: Re: What to Look for when Buying a Hedgehog   What to Look for when Buying a Hedgehog Icon_minitimeThu Oct 11, 2012 7:34 pm

iv had all my hogs from good breeders...except my rescue betsy.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/PethauPigioghedgehogs
Lou

Lou

PostSubject: Re: What to Look for when Buying a Hedgehog   What to Look for when Buying a Hedgehog Icon_minitimeThu Oct 11, 2012 7:57 pm

i wish i could say the same tayer
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100003745145643&ref=t
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What to Look for when Buying a Hedgehog   What to Look for when Buying a Hedgehog Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What to Look for when Buying a Hedgehog
Page 1 of 1