Prickly-Critterz Forum
Prickly-Critterz Forum
Prickly-Critterz Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Exercise Space

Go down 
+2
Lou
6 posters
AuthorMessage

The Exercise Space Empty
PostSubject: The Exercise Space   The Exercise Space Icon_minitimeSat Oct 13, 2012 3:44 pm

Every hedgehog cage needs to have its own exercise space. A hedgehog that does not have space to exercise will quickly become bored and will start to have behavioural problems. In addition, a hedgehog that doesn't exercise will quickly become obese and this will shorten the lifespan of your hedgehog.

The exercise space does not have to be huge and you can provide exercise for your hedgehog out of the cate.

The main item that you should have in this area is an exercise wheel. When you choose a wheel, there are a few things you should consider:-

1. That it is a silent running wheel - Remember, the most active time for your hedgehog will be during the night so for your own rest, make sure the wheel won't squeak.

2. That it is solid - Although the solid wheels are usually more expensive, it is better to go with this since the wired wheels can pose a safety risk for hedgehogs. The solid wheels will keep them from falling through the bars and hurting their legs. In addition, make sure there are no sidebars on the wheel since they can cause injury when the hedgehog loos out the side of the wheel.

3. That it is the right size - Make sure that it is about 12 inches in diameter. While wheels that are smaller will work for young hedgehogs, anything smaller than 12 inches will be too small for an adult hedgehog.

4. That it is easy to clean - Like anything you put in the cage, make sure that it is easy to clean.

5. That it fits your cage - Lastly, make sure that it fits your hedgehog's cage. If it is too big, it won't give your hedgehog enough room to really enjoy his cage.

In addition to the actual wheel, you should have a few pet safe toys. The more things your hedgehog has to do, the happier they will be.
Back to top Go down
Lou

Lou

The Exercise Space Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Exercise Space   The Exercise Space Icon_minitimeSun Oct 14, 2012 6:44 pm

Exercise is so important
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100003745145643&ref=t
zombiewoman

The Exercise Space Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Exercise Space   The Exercise Space Icon_minitimeSun Oct 14, 2012 7:50 pm

Since it was so hard to find ball pit like some of you on forum have, we built our own. It turned out really good. They love it.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Qute-Quillz/318392471572041

The Exercise Space Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Exercise Space   The Exercise Space Icon_minitimeMon Oct 15, 2012 8:35 am

Glad they are enjoying their new play pen Lisa xx
Back to top Go down
Lou

Lou

The Exercise Space Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Exercise Space   The Exercise Space Icon_minitimeMon Oct 15, 2012 9:07 am

Fab Lisa Pictures ....
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100003745145643&ref=t
Melody
Admin
Admin
Melody

The Exercise Space Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Exercise Space   The Exercise Space Icon_minitimeMon Oct 15, 2012 1:51 pm

I have 2 of the smaller playpens that I use and also have the area in front of my hoggies homes which is 3ft x 7ft.

I pop in one or two wheels, a number of toys and cardboard tubes and an pigloo. I also hide mealworms everywhere so that they have to go for a good sniff about Very Happy

xoxox
Back to top Go down
Elaine67
Elaine67

The Exercise Space Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Exercise Space   The Exercise Space Icon_minitimeTue Oct 16, 2012 10:16 pm

I like to let the hoggies roam as much as I can. As with all the lil' critters, I like to give them a bit of stimulation. I make little challenges and things to explore - anyone remember the photos of Junior playing with our new camera case? John does the same sort of thing with Bob upstairs. John uses an off-cut of carpet as a base for Bob's playground and adds all sorts of tubes, boxes and balls.

I think one of the first surprises Junior gave me was how quickly he could scuttle off when he wanted to. He loves to be on the floor. There he'll sit, occasionally shuffling a few feet one way or another - the classic, docile image of hogdom... Then once he's sure he's got me duped - zoom! He's shot off under the coffee table - the only place he can zoom too as I block off the TV, chairs and sofa. Wink

I had a cat ball you put treats in and Junior mastered that in minutes. It was amazing watchng him nosing it along and claiming his mealie reward. Until we got Junior I never really though of hedgehogs as clever in any way... I now know better.

We've only have the two, but both love to roam. Bob's got his own world upstairs with his ever-lovin' hogfather so I've nothing to worry about there lol! However I'm thinking of buyng one of those toddler paddling pools ('cos I haven't space for a large one) for when I need to contain Jnr as I might be having an opp in a few months and won't be able to have to get on my knees retrieving Junior post-op.

Whatever happens, come what may for all my critters, be they spikey, furry or feathered it'll be business as usual. Very Happy
Back to top Go down

The Exercise Space Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Exercise Space   The Exercise Space Icon_minitimeWed Oct 17, 2012 8:28 am

Bless, both Junior and Bob have landed on their feet with their new homes - the hogfather done good!
Back to top Go down
tayer
tayer

The Exercise Space Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Exercise Space   The Exercise Space Icon_minitimeWed Oct 17, 2012 9:22 am

My hogs love to roam my attic room...
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/PethauPigioghedgehogs
Sponsored content

The Exercise Space Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Exercise Space   The Exercise Space Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Exercise Space
Page 1 of 1