Prickly-Critterz Forum
Prickly-Critterz Forum
Prickly-Critterz Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

how do you stop them chewing on something if you can;t remove it?

Go down 
+4
tayer
Gaga
Lou
fionac
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
fionac
Rescue Committee/Carer
Rescue Committee/Carer
fionac

how do you stop them chewing on something if you can;t remove it? Empty
PostSubject: how do you stop them chewing on something if you can;t remove it?   how do you stop them chewing on something if you can;t remove it? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 04, 2012 1:44 pm

Ody has suddenly decided to become very naughty. He has, in 3 years, never shown an interest in the rubber frame that hold the glass doors on his viv. Last night he suddenly started chewing on it and annointing. I cleaned it, so it wouldn;t smell or taste of anything, in case something had gotten onto it, but he was stil manically trying to get to it, even dragging his cuddly dinosaur out of the way, after I put it in the way to stop him. I put a piece of cardboard in front of it, so he couldn't get to it. Came down a bit later to find the cardboard moved and him chewing on the rubber again. I replaced the carboard and shooed him away, and tried to block it up more, came down in the morning to find the cardboard moved! I'm worried he could chew a bit off and swallow it and it could make him ill. Can't take it out as it holds the glass doors in place. No idea why he suddenly became obsessed with it, after 3 years. Maybe he was just having a 'mad night'. anyway, any suggestions for tonight gratefully received.
Back to top Go down
Lou

Lou

PostSubject: Re: how do you stop them chewing on something if you can;t remove it?   how do you stop them chewing on something if you can;t remove it? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 04, 2012 3:08 pm

Hmm odd one this Fiona , I was thinking maybe putting something on it that wont do any harm to the hog but if he licks it and it has a eurghhhh taste he may not do it again just what can you use is the question ?
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100003745145643&ref=t
Gaga

Gaga

PostSubject: Re: how do you stop them chewing on something if you can;t remove it?   how do you stop them chewing on something if you can;t remove it? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 04, 2012 3:14 pm

would you be able to use that bitter tasting spray you use to stop dogs chewing furniture? not sure it that will be okay for them or not xx
Back to top Go down
fionac
Rescue Committee/Carer
Rescue Committee/Carer
fionac

PostSubject: Re: how do you stop them chewing on something if you can;t remove it?   how do you stop them chewing on something if you can;t remove it? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 04, 2012 4:03 pm

will give anything a go. Anyone know if the spray will be ok? have a funny feeling anything which i think tastes funny Ody will love. was wondering if maybe a little vinegar on it, but don't want to cause harm to him. hoping he'll have lost interest by tonight, but have a feeling he's got a sudden obsession with it. Thanks both of you.x =)
Back to top Go down
Lou

Lou

PostSubject: Re: how do you stop them chewing on something if you can;t remove it?   how do you stop them chewing on something if you can;t remove it? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 04, 2012 4:07 pm

I have not heard of the spray Fiona .. i think vinegar may be ok .. if you just put it on with a cotton bud , I couldnt find anything .x
Back to top Go down
fionac
Rescue Committee/Carer
Rescue Committee/Carer
fionac

PostSubject: Re: how do you stop them chewing on something if you can;t remove it?   how do you stop them chewing on something if you can;t remove it? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 04, 2012 4:10 pm

aww, thanks for trying for me Lou. Will try a little vinegar tonight. Fingers crossed. Very Happy x he is naughty sometimes, but he does make me laugh.
Back to top Go down
tayer
tayer

PostSubject: Re: how do you stop them chewing on something if you can;t remove it?   how do you stop them chewing on something if you can;t remove it? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 04, 2012 4:13 pm

Haha he probably love it.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/PethauPigioghedgehogs
pammie
Rescue Committee/Carer
Rescue Committee/Carer
pammie

PostSubject: Re: how do you stop them chewing on something if you can;t remove it?   how do you stop them chewing on something if you can;t remove it? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 04, 2012 4:14 pm

hooligan hol did that a few months back pulled up a patch of the sticky plastic on the floor of her viv, lasted about a week then stopped...silly hogs
Back to top Go down
fionac
Rescue Committee/Carer
Rescue Committee/Carer
fionac

PostSubject: Re: how do you stop them chewing on something if you can;t remove it?   how do you stop them chewing on something if you can;t remove it? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 04, 2012 4:15 pm

knowing Ody he probably will, haha. he was nudging my hand out of his way, and clambering up the frame, as it's not at ground level, it's raised up. silly hog
Back to top Go down
fionac
Rescue Committee/Carer
Rescue Committee/Carer
fionac

PostSubject: Re: how do you stop them chewing on something if you can;t remove it?   how do you stop them chewing on something if you can;t remove it? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 04, 2012 4:15 pm

oh no, don't tell me i have an other 6 days of this! haha
Back to top Go down
tayer
tayer

PostSubject: Re: how do you stop them chewing on something if you can;t remove it?   how do you stop them chewing on something if you can;t remove it? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 04, 2012 4:17 pm

Honey always digs at the glass, to try and nudge it open...making her feet bleed.
Back to top Go down
fionac
Rescue Committee/Carer
Rescue Committee/Carer
fionac

PostSubject: Re: how do you stop them chewing on something if you can;t remove it?   how do you stop them chewing on something if you can;t remove it? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 04, 2012 4:22 pm

could swap the glass over to fill the bit of the frame there, but worried he'll do the same as Honey and catch himself on the glass or hurt himself between the glass and the rubber.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: how do you stop them chewing on something if you can;t remove it?   how do you stop them chewing on something if you can;t remove it? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 04, 2012 4:24 pm

Mustard!
Back to top Go down
Lou

Lou

PostSubject: Re: how do you stop them chewing on something if you can;t remove it?   how do you stop them chewing on something if you can;t remove it? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 04, 2012 4:24 pm

Never thought of that , that would be sure to stop him x
Back to top Go down
tayer
tayer

PostSubject: Re: how do you stop them chewing on something if you can;t remove it?   how do you stop them chewing on something if you can;t remove it? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 04, 2012 4:26 pm

Yuchhhhhhhh I hate mustard.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: how do you stop them chewing on something if you can;t remove it?   how do you stop them chewing on something if you can;t remove it? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 04, 2012 4:29 pm

Me too x
Back to top Go down
fionac
Rescue Committee/Carer
Rescue Committee/Carer
fionac

PostSubject: Re: how do you stop them chewing on something if you can;t remove it?   how do you stop them chewing on something if you can;t remove it? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 04, 2012 4:32 pm

hehe, hope Ody feels the same! Very Happy will get some mustard and give it a go. thanks Helen.x
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: how do you stop them chewing on something if you can;t remove it?   how do you stop them chewing on something if you can;t remove it? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 04, 2012 4:33 pm

Failing that Pepper x
Back to top Go down
Lou

Lou

PostSubject: Re: how do you stop them chewing on something if you can;t remove it?   how do you stop them chewing on something if you can;t remove it? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 04, 2012 4:36 pm

I actually love mustard cant have my sunday dinner without it i perfer french but i do like English on my hotdogs lol x
Back to top Go down
fionac
Rescue Committee/Carer
Rescue Committee/Carer
fionac

PostSubject: Re: how do you stop them chewing on something if you can;t remove it?   how do you stop them chewing on something if you can;t remove it? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 04, 2012 4:42 pm

oooo, might have some pepper. thanks.x
Back to top Go down
fionac
Rescue Committee/Carer
Rescue Committee/Carer
fionac

PostSubject: Re: how do you stop them chewing on something if you can;t remove it?   how do you stop them chewing on something if you can;t remove it? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 09, 2012 11:26 pm

Just wanted to report that since I wiped some pepper in a bit of water over the rubber frame Ody has not moved the stuff to get to it. I'd call that an absolute success! Thanks Helen! :)x
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: how do you stop them chewing on something if you can;t remove it?   how do you stop them chewing on something if you can;t remove it? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 10, 2012 8:27 am

Woo hoo - way to go - another problem sorted xx
Back to top Go down
Melody
Admin
Admin
Melody

PostSubject: Re: how do you stop them chewing on something if you can;t remove it?   how do you stop them chewing on something if you can;t remove it? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 10, 2012 8:44 am

Aaaah I've only just saw this post. Glad it's sorted now Fiona. I remember when Little Miss Daisy Splat suddenly discovered the hole on her Zoozone where you would put the drinking bottle (if you kept a rabbit in it) and all she kept doing was sticking her nose through it and keep biting at it. I had to put masking tape on it until I moved her into a viv. It definitely became a habit with her though. Little monkey!
Xoxox
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: how do you stop them chewing on something if you can;t remove it?   how do you stop them chewing on something if you can;t remove it? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 10, 2012 8:51 am

Had the same with Holly when she was in a zoozone first, when she had her first litter at the five week mark she went crazy and kept rubbing her nose on the very same spot as Little Miss Daisy Splat - that is when I put a flying saucer back in for her x
Back to top Go down
Melody
Admin
Admin
Melody

PostSubject: Re: how do you stop them chewing on something if you can;t remove it?   how do you stop them chewing on something if you can;t remove it? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 10, 2012 9:06 am

Funny little minds they must have.... They must wake up and think "Hmmm what shall I try today that might be a bit different from my usual antics?!"

Xoxox
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: how do you stop them chewing on something if you can;t remove it?   how do you stop them chewing on something if you can;t remove it? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

how do you stop them chewing on something if you can;t remove it?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next