Prickly-Critterz Forum
Prickly-Critterz Forum
Prickly-Critterz Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

African pygmy dormouse!

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Gaga

Gaga

African pygmy dormouse! Empty
PostSubject: African pygmy dormouse!   African pygmy dormouse! Icon_minitimeFri Nov 09, 2012 9:11 pm

A little pet that is becoming more popular as a pet is the dormouse, most commonly the African dormouse (Graphiurus murinus). These little rodents are also called the African dwarf dormice, African pygmy dormice, and sometimes even micro squirrels.
Dormice are small squirrel-like animal. Their body length is a mere 3-4 inches or so, and they have a bushy tail that is almost as long as their body. They are nocturnal and get quite active at night. African dormice have a life expectancy of around 5-6 years in captivity.

Dormice are social animals, and should be kept in groups of two or more. Same sex groups usually get along well, as long as they are raised together from a young age.

Dormice can be hand tamed, although regular interaction from an early age is is the best way to ensure a pet that enjoys handling. While they may not want to be held they will climb all over their humans. Using a favorite treat as bribery helps, too.

Housing

These little creatures are excellent escape artists and can sneak through a very small opening. The best type of housing is a glass tank with a tight fitting, fine mesh top. During their active times they will get to the top of the cage, so make sure the top is secure! A 10 gallon tank will house 2 dormice adequately, although being active animals they will appreciate the additional room of a 20 gallon tank. If keeping more than two, a larger tank is a necessity.

The tank should be lined with a relatively thick layer of bedding such as a recycled paper bedding product or aspen shavings. Two inches provides a nice absorbent layer.

Because they naturally spend a lot of time in trees, branches should be provided for climbing. Ropes (suspend from cage top) and other wooden toys make a nice variety of opportunities for climbing and play. Also, a small rodent wheel can be provided for exercise (mouse sized). A solid surface wheel is a good choice to reduce the chance of their feet or tail getting caught.

Nest boxes are also necessary, to give the dormice a sense of security. Commercial small animal nest boxes can be purchased, or can be improvised. Cardboard tubes can be provided for hiding and play time.

A couple of heavy ceramic dishes can be provided for feeding. Most dormice will readily eat from dishes on the ground, but if necessary you can also hang a small dish or wicker basket from a branch for feeding. A small water bottle can be used, but the water should be changed regularly.

Dormice need to be kept at 70 F or above - at cooler temperatures (i.e. below around 65 F) they may begin to hibernate. In a captive animal that is not prepared, hibernation can be dangerous.

Feeding

In the wild, dormice eat a variety of foods including nuts and seeds, fruit, birds eggs, and insects. A good variety seems to be the key to keeping dormice in captivity, although specific feeding recommendations vary by reference.

The main groups of foods to be included in the diet are a seed mix (such as that made for hamsters or other small rodents, with sunflower seeds or raw peanuts added), fruits and vegetables, and protein sources such as hard boiled egg, feeder insects (mealworms, crickets), cooked chicken, and yogurt. The seed mix can be fed daily, but make sure the dormice do not fill up on seeds and nuts and refuse other essential parts of the diet. Fruits and vegetables can be fresh, frozen or dried. Fresh foods can be offered in the evening and any uneaten bits removed the next morning to prevent spoilage.

Different references I have read make different recommendations for feeding - from whether or not seeds should be offered in unlimited quantities to how often fruits/vegetables and protein foods should be fed. I do not have any personal experience with these animals, but in general as varied a diet as possible is often the best way to prevent pets from becoming fussy eaters and maintaining a healthy balance. Therefore, I'd recommend feeding a variety of foods from each group (seeds/nuts, fruits and vegetables, and proteins) on a daily basis.

[img][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][/img]
Back to top Go down
Gaga

Gaga

PostSubject: Re: African pygmy dormouse!   African pygmy dormouse! Icon_minitimeFri Nov 09, 2012 9:12 pm

im tempted by these!!! might see if i can use a flutter of the lashes, do some more research and get a pair, two females maybe, will have to see if they can be housed in same sex pairs like that first obviously xx
Back to top Go down
tayer
tayer

PostSubject: Re: African pygmy dormouse!   African pygmy dormouse! Icon_minitimeFri Nov 09, 2012 9:45 pm

pretty little things.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/PethauPigioghedgehogs
Gaga

Gaga

PostSubject: Re: African pygmy dormouse!   African pygmy dormouse! Icon_minitimeFri Nov 09, 2012 9:51 pm

been watching some videos, they have had me in stiches they are su funny! im in love, there like mini squirrels! xx
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: African pygmy dormouse!   African pygmy dormouse! Icon_minitimeSat Nov 10, 2012 8:33 am

Lovely xx
Back to top Go down
Lou

Lou

PostSubject: Re: African pygmy dormouse!   African pygmy dormouse! Icon_minitimeSat Nov 10, 2012 10:40 am

They are lovely ... I think Hayley has got some of these x
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100003745145643&ref=t
Elaine67
Elaine67

PostSubject: Re: African pygmy dormouse!   African pygmy dormouse! Icon_minitimeSat Nov 10, 2012 11:13 am

They're beautiful little things - but fast as bullets!

I did quite a lot of swatting on them last year when I was looking at pets for Annice. I looked at sugar gliders too. Hoggies joined the list when a member of a sugar-glider forum PM'd me a photo of her hoggy... The rest is history!

I still have a thing for both species - but lack of space has any plans on hold. Sad
Back to top Go down
Gaga

Gaga

PostSubject: Re: African pygmy dormouse!   African pygmy dormouse! Icon_minitimeSat Nov 10, 2012 12:18 pm

hayley has sugar gliders isnt it lou? if hayley has some would love to see some pictures Very Happy

they are beautiful elaine, would love a pair of them! they looked fast in the videos but so funny i was laughing so much at how much character they have! Very Happy

definately am going to stomp my feet till i get some haha! its these aor a toitoise, (fell in love with torts at college) but i think id prefer a dormouse now as i would need more room for a tort xx
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: African pygmy dormouse!   African pygmy dormouse! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

African pygmy dormouse!
Page 1 of 1