Prickly-Critterz Forum
Prickly-Critterz Forum
Prickly-Critterz Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Kiss of Life

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage

Kiss of Life Empty
PostSubject: Kiss of Life   Kiss of Life Icon_minitimeSat Dec 15, 2012 9:34 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

As a warm-blooded species we find cold weather uncomfortable, so imagine what it's like for wild animals with little or no shelter. Even cold-blooded species like the Red-eared Terrapins tend to hide away from the worst of the weather.

Red-eared Terrapins were brought over here from United States for the pet trade. Remember the Mutant Ninja Turtle craze? When their owners found out how big they got, and how difficult they were to keep, many of those pet terrapins were let loose in ponds and lakes up and down the U.K.

They manage to survive our cold winters by sleeping at the bottom of ponds, and taking in oxygen by passing water over special membranes in the throat. It's thought that special sacs in the cloaca (rectal area) can also absorb oxygen!

It's incredible to think that while some humans are able to talk through their backsides these reptiles have actually evolved a method of breathing through them. Which begs the question, if a vet needed to resuscitate a pet terrapin with breathing difficulties... which end should get the kiss of life?

Scientific name: Trachemys scripta elegans

Size: Between 3cm (young) to 40cm (adult)

Distribution: Found in many parts of the U.K.

Months seen: March to October. In winter they sleep under soil on land, or under mud at the bottom of ponds

Habitat: Freshwater ponds and lakes

Food: Small fish, vegetation and insects

Special features: Sometimes called 'red-eared sliders because of their habit of slipping underwater when frightened. Red-eared terrapins are native to the southern United States, but are now commonly found in many parts of the UK due to widespread release of imported pets. Following the cult film "Mutant Ninja Turtles", in the 1980's, many people bought these reptiles as pets. Once their owners realised how much care they needed, and that they can live for over 40 years, many were let loose in the countryside.

Red-eared Terrapins are almost totally aquatic, but they will leave the water to bask on hot sunny days. They're similar in appearance to the Red-bellied Sliders, but they lack the red ear stripes and if you turn them over the underside of the shell has a reddish colour. Also the European Pond Turtle is similar in shape and size but it has a more rounded head.

Red-eared terrapins can give a nasty bite which can transmit diseases so any wounds should be treated as soon as possible.

What's the difference between a turtle, a terrapin and a tortoise? Turtles are totally aquatic. Tortoises live totally on land, but terrapins enjoy a bit of both, so are considered semi-aquatic.
Back to top Go down
emdools

emdools

Kiss of Life Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kiss of Life   Kiss of Life Icon_minitimeSat Dec 15, 2012 9:36 am

Another meaning to kiss my ass!
Back to top Go down
http://pricklycrafts.webs.com/

Kiss of Life Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kiss of Life   Kiss of Life Icon_minitimeSat Dec 15, 2012 9:37 am

Was that bit I liked most!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Kiss of Life Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kiss of Life   Kiss of Life Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Kiss of Life
Page 1 of 1