Prickly-Critterz Forum
Prickly-Critterz Forum
Prickly-Critterz Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Hospital engulfed by boom in hedgehogs

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage

Hospital engulfed by boom in hedgehogs Empty
PostSubject: Hospital engulfed by boom in hedgehogs   Hospital engulfed by boom in hedgehogs Icon_minitimeWed Jan 02, 2013 7:15 pm

HEDGEHOGS galore are being treated at the Vale Wildlife Hospital and Rehabilitation Centre this winter.

A good breeding season has left an influx of underweight hedgehogs unable to survive hibernation .

The hospital, based at Station Road in Beckford, near Tewkesbury, is currently looking after 221 baby hedgehogs.

And staff have been getting them up to the optimum weight until they can be released and survive the winter.

Wildlife care assistant Jessica Skelham said: "We have had, on average, 200 hedgehogs in our care at one time and it is because we have had such a good breeding season.

"There have been so many litters they have not been able to put on the weight they need to hibernate.

"In the last three days we have had more than 20 hedgehogs come in and that is since things have slowed down because of the floods.

"People help us by sending in newspapers, donations of dog and cat food and some even come in and volunteer.

"We are in need of any donation as we are so busy."

It costs the hospital more than £20,000 a month to keep open and so cash is also always wanted.

This year the hospital has dealt with 4,416 casualties, compared to 4,316 last year.

Most of the hedgehogs are bought in by concerned members of the public.

The hospital is open 24 hours a day for help and advice concerning sick, injured or orphaned British wildlife.

Anyone needing help with a stranded hedgehog or wanting to donate food or money can contact the hospital on 01386 882288.

For more information about the charity, visit [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
hoggyhugs

Hospital engulfed by boom in hedgehogs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hospital engulfed by boom in hedgehogs   Hospital engulfed by boom in hedgehogs Icon_minitimeFri Jan 04, 2013 4:25 pm

This sounds a lovely place and I will bear it very much in mind. However, at the moment I have absolutely no money,

Hugs

JO xx
Back to top Go down

Hospital engulfed by boom in hedgehogs
Page 1 of 1