Prickly-Critterz Forum
Prickly-Critterz Forum
Prickly-Critterz Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Treetop Speed Dating

Go down 
+2
Gaga
6 posters
AuthorMessage

Treetop Speed Dating Empty
PostSubject: Treetop Speed Dating   Treetop Speed Dating Icon_minitimeSat Jan 12, 2013 9:03 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

The fur coats of red squirrels (Sciurus vulgaris) are at their thickest and most colourful in January. Well you've got to look your best if you're trying to attract a partner haven't you?

It's the mating time for squirrels, and if you look up in the tree tops you'll witness daring chases as females leap from branch to branch, closely pursued by one or more eager males. They move so fast they hardly seem to touch the branches. It may look like a game, but these death-defying trapeze acts ensure only the very fittest males will catch and mate with a female.

The females have their young in a nest (called a drey) high in a tree made from twigs, leaves and moss. The young (called kittens) are born hairless, with their eyes closed. After about seven weeks they look just like smaller replicas of their parents and are ready to leave the drey.

Since the arrival of the Grey Squirrel (Sciurus carolinensis) our little native Red Squirrel has become a much rarer sight. Greys tend to drive the reds out of their territories, and they also carry the Squirrel Pox Virus. The grey's are unaffected by this virus, but unfortunately it's deadly to our native reds.

You can still see native red squirrels in a number of locations. Details in the links below

England

Kielder Forest, Northumberland
Formby on the Sefton Coast
Cannock Chase, Staffordshire
Brownsea Island, Dorset
Wallington, Northumberland
Newtown, Isle of Wight

Wales

Clocaenog forest, Denbighshire
Hiraethog Forest, Denbighshire
Coed y Brenin, Gwynedd
Isle of Anglesey

Scotland

Culbokie Wood, Highlands
Bennachie, Aberdeenshire
Culbin, Moray
Galloway Forest Park, Dumfries and Galloway
Kilmichael Forest, Argyll and Bute

Northern Ireland

Locations marked with an * require a permit. Enquire through Ulster Wildlife Trust

Crom Estate, Co. Fermanagh
Florence Court, Co Fermanagh
Colin Glen Forest Park, near Dunmurry
Mount Stewart, Co Down
Blessingbourne, Co. Tyrone * Nr Fivemiletown, just E along the A4 (park in reserve).
Strabane Glen, Co. Tyrone* 2Km NE along A5. Take B49 E, then first right turn (park at end of track).
Hawthorne Hill, Co. Down (near Meigh). SW along the B113, enter Slieve Gullion Forest and turn N to car park at site.
Rostrevor Forest, Co. Down Rostrevor 1Km E along A2 (car park at NW end of reserve). No access off paths.
Mount Stewart, Co. Down (National Trust) Nr Greyabbey, 3Km NW along A 20 (use NT car park).
Ness Wood Near Derry, Co. Londonderry 8Km SE on A6, then 3Km E to Ervey Cross roads, turn right to junction and right again to country park car park
Shanes Castle, Near Antrim, Co. Antrim 1Km W along A6. Car park in grounds. Open Easter to Sept on selected days. Winter visits by arrangement with RSPB warden
Glenariff Forest. Near Cargan, Co. Antrim 5Km NE A43. Use Forest Car Park
Back to top Go down
Gaga

Gaga

PostSubject: Re: Treetop Speed Dating   Treetop Speed Dating Icon_minitimeSat Jan 12, 2013 9:28 am

awwww beautiful!! love squirrels!!! xx
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Treetop Speed Dating   Treetop Speed Dating Icon_minitimeSat Jan 12, 2013 9:34 am

I know, did you catch Ray Mears last night ITV1 8.00pm - he was on the Isle of Wight and filmed the Red Squirrels - well worth a watch x
Back to top Go down
Lou

Lou

PostSubject: Re: Treetop Speed Dating   Treetop Speed Dating Icon_minitimeSat Jan 12, 2013 11:39 am

Beautiful red squirrels x
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100003745145643&ref=t
Gaga

Gaga

PostSubject: Re: Treetop Speed Dating   Treetop Speed Dating Icon_minitimeSat Jan 12, 2013 11:40 am

no i missed it Sad ill have a watch on iplayer later xx
Back to top Go down
Lou

Lou

PostSubject: Re: Treetop Speed Dating   Treetop Speed Dating Icon_minitimeSat Jan 12, 2013 12:12 pm

Might try and catch that myself when I finally get to sit down x
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100003745145643&ref=t
zombiewoman

PostSubject: Re: Treetop Speed Dating   Treetop Speed Dating Icon_minitimeSat Jan 12, 2013 1:54 pm

Oh I love the color of the fur and his ears.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Qute-Quillz/318392471572041

PostSubject: Re: Treetop Speed Dating   Treetop Speed Dating Icon_minitimeSat Jan 12, 2013 2:26 pm

They are without a doubt a gorgeous creature - I have been lucky enough to see these in real life and pictures do not do them justice at all xx
Back to top Go down
hoggyhugs

PostSubject: Re: Treetop Speed Dating   Treetop Speed Dating Icon_minitimeSat Jan 12, 2013 3:01 pm

I love red squirrels, they are supposed to be far gentler than their grey cousins.

Hugs

JO xx
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Treetop Speed Dating   Treetop Speed Dating Icon_minitimeSat Jan 12, 2013 3:02 pm

I know a lot of people say grey squirrels are a pest, but I love squirrels full stop, seeing the greys in our local park darting about, teasing the dogs - just love it, nature is nature and everything has its place in the big scheme of life x
Back to top Go down
Gaga

Gaga

PostSubject: Re: Treetop Speed Dating   Treetop Speed Dating Icon_minitimeSat Jan 12, 2013 3:26 pm

your just like me helen, love every squirrel, there beautiful and so funny xx
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Treetop Speed Dating   Treetop Speed Dating Icon_minitimeSat Jan 12, 2013 3:56 pm

I think so, was telling Donkey today that in the summer, they just run far enough up the tree and then stick two fingers up to the doggies as they cannot reach them - makes me laugh every time x
Back to top Go down
Gaga

Gaga

PostSubject: Re: Treetop Speed Dating   Treetop Speed Dating Icon_minitimeSat Jan 12, 2013 4:00 pm

hahaha, they do seem to tease the doggies dont they haha? poppy still hasnt got close yet bless her! xx
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Treetop Speed Dating   Treetop Speed Dating Icon_minitimeSat Jan 12, 2013 4:26 pm

Diddy dog misses by a whisker!
Back to top Go down
Gaga

Gaga

PostSubject: Re: Treetop Speed Dating   Treetop Speed Dating Icon_minitimeSat Jan 12, 2013 4:37 pm

poppy misses by miles, always forgets they run up the trees so she carries on running then realises haha xx
Back to top Go down
Gaga

Gaga

PostSubject: Re: Treetop Speed Dating   Treetop Speed Dating Icon_minitimeSat Jan 12, 2013 4:38 pm

told her IF she gets one she has to let go immediately!! xx
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Treetop Speed Dating   Treetop Speed Dating Icon_minitimeSat Jan 12, 2013 4:39 pm

And that is bound to happen ................................ not!!
Back to top Go down
Gaga

Gaga

PostSubject: Re: Treetop Speed Dating   Treetop Speed Dating Icon_minitimeSat Jan 12, 2013 4:41 pm

if i say drop she would (i hope) drop it, but if she doesnt i will stare at her and she knows that means naughty! haha, never know what she will do till if it happens lol xx
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Treetop Speed Dating   Treetop Speed Dating Icon_minitimeSat Jan 12, 2013 4:43 pm

She would run off with the squirrel to "play" with it!!
Back to top Go down
Gaga

Gaga

PostSubject: Re: Treetop Speed Dating   Treetop Speed Dating Icon_minitimeSat Jan 12, 2013 4:44 pm

i hope by play you mean play and not kill!! lol! xx
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Treetop Speed Dating   Treetop Speed Dating Icon_minitimeSat Jan 12, 2013 4:45 pm

Hmmmm - what do you think?
Back to top Go down
Gaga

Gaga

PostSubject: Re: Treetop Speed Dating   Treetop Speed Dating Icon_minitimeSat Jan 12, 2013 4:48 pm

im not sure, those quotation marks are messing with my mind Wink haha xx
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Treetop Speed Dating   Treetop Speed Dating Icon_minitimeSat Jan 12, 2013 4:51 pm

Think "play" is about right!
Back to top Go down
tayer
tayer

PostSubject: Re: Treetop Speed Dating   Treetop Speed Dating Icon_minitimeSat Jan 12, 2013 5:21 pm

never seen a red squirrel.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/PethauPigioghedgehogs
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Treetop Speed Dating   Treetop Speed Dating Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Treetop Speed Dating
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Prickly-Critterz Forum :: Pets Corner :: Other animals-
Jump to: