Prickly-Critterz Forum
Prickly-Critterz Forum
Prickly-Critterz Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Bumblebee Babies

Go down 
+3
Melody
Gaga
7 posters
AuthorMessage

Bumblebee Babies Empty
PostSubject: Bumblebee Babies   Bumblebee Babies Icon_minitimeFri Feb 01, 2013 8:09 pm

Amaze (or bore) your friends in February with your bumble bee knowledge. Simply point to any that you see with absolute certainty and say "oh look, a female bumblebee". How can you be sure? Because the only ones flying in February are the females. All the males died off last year when the cold weather set in. The females hibernate through the winter, carrying the eggs for the next generation.

After spending the whole winter without food, their first stop will be on the early blooming plants for a drink of nectar. After a quick refuel they'll be looking for a suitable place to lay their eggs.

They usually make their nest in a disused mouse hole. These sometimes come fully furnished with some old mouse bedding. If not you'll see them carrying bits of dry moss and grass down into the hole.

All bumblebee species have slightly different nesting habits, but usually when the nest site is ready, the queen makes a small wax sphere shape, and fills it with nectar. She also builds up a ball of pollen, and lays her eggs on top of this. This is then covered with more wax. The pollen inside, known as "bee bread" provides the larvae with the food they need.

The queen has to keep the eggs and larvae at a constant temperature of around 30 degrees C. She does this by sitting over them and vibrating her flight muscles which generates just enough heat.

It takes around five weeks to go from egg to adult bee. The first batch of eggs develop into female workers who will forage and feed the growing colony.

In case you're wondering, the bee larvae in the photos above were found after a badger had dug up an underground nest. The larvae were photographed and then the nest was reconstructed as well as possible.[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Last edited by Nellie on Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Gaga

Gaga

Bumblebee Babies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bumblebee Babies   Bumblebee Babies Icon_minitimeFri Feb 01, 2013 8:26 pm

bees are cute xx
Back to top Go down
Melody
Admin
Admin
Melody

Bumblebee Babies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bumblebee Babies   Bumblebee Babies Icon_minitimeFri Feb 01, 2013 8:31 pm

That's fab Helen... And so now we know Very Happy

I wonder how long the females live for then?

I can't get the picture though...

xoxox
Back to top Go down
tayer
tayer

Bumblebee Babies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bumblebee Babies   Bumblebee Babies Icon_minitimeFri Feb 01, 2013 8:34 pm

i cant get the pic either.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/PethauPigioghedgehogs

Bumblebee Babies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bumblebee Babies   Bumblebee Babies Icon_minitimeFri Feb 01, 2013 8:45 pm

Sorry - just edited it!
Back to top Go down
Gaga

Gaga

Bumblebee Babies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bumblebee Babies   Bumblebee Babies Icon_minitimeFri Feb 01, 2013 8:47 pm

the picture is interesting xx
Back to top Go down
Melody
Admin
Admin
Melody

Bumblebee Babies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bumblebee Babies   Bumblebee Babies Icon_minitimeFri Feb 01, 2013 8:48 pm

Looks like a battered prawn!

xoxox
Back to top Go down

Bumblebee Babies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bumblebee Babies   Bumblebee Babies Icon_minitimeFri Feb 01, 2013 9:00 pm

Scamp-bee!
Back to top Go down
Melody
Admin
Admin
Melody

Bumblebee Babies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bumblebee Babies   Bumblebee Babies Icon_minitimeFri Feb 01, 2013 9:09 pm

Taxi for Helen!
xoxox
Back to top Go down
gems

gems

Bumblebee Babies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bumblebee Babies   Bumblebee Babies Icon_minitimeFri Feb 01, 2013 9:25 pm

very interesting
Back to top Go down

Bumblebee Babies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bumblebee Babies   Bumblebee Babies Icon_minitimeFri Feb 01, 2013 10:04 pm

Melody wrote:
Taxi for Helen!
xoxox

Least I didn't execute them!
Back to top Go down
Lou

Lou

Bumblebee Babies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bumblebee Babies   Bumblebee Babies Icon_minitimeFri Feb 01, 2013 10:13 pm

Very interested .x
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100003745145643&ref=t
hoggyhugs

Bumblebee Babies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bumblebee Babies   Bumblebee Babies Icon_minitimeSun Feb 03, 2013 5:43 pm

I am a member of the British Bee Conservation Trust and the little darlings are very close to my heart although I didn;t know about lady bees being out in February. I especailly like the really round fluffy ones.

Hugs

JO xx
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Bumblebee Babies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bumblebee Babies   Bumblebee Babies Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Bumblebee Babies
Page 1 of 1