Prickly-Critterz Forum
Prickly-Critterz Forum
Prickly-Critterz Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Night Shift

Go down 
+2
Lou
6 posters
AuthorMessage

Night Shift Empty
PostSubject: Night Shift   Night Shift Icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2013 9:45 am

Hedgehogs are nocturnal. Rarely will a hedgehog come out during the day, and make a habit out of it. Hoggies naturally get up at night, and sleep during the day. Some are grumpy when woken up during the day when they want to sleep. You should make sure that you are comfortable with not seeing your pet "out and about". Parents who are looking for an interesting animal for their younger children, may want to look into other small animals that are active during the day. Children can quickly become bored with a pet that isn't awake when they are, and the novelty will wear off eventually. Also, if you are keeping the hedgehog in your bedroom or near where you sleep, consider the noise the hedgie may make.

Even though some people claim that they have changed their hoggie's schedules so that they come out during the day, it's an awful idea that should never be done. Altering light schedules, feeding only during the day, forcing the hedgehog to stay awake so they are tired at night, are all very cruel techniques to make a hedgehog something they are not. Doing so can cause extreme stress levels, lower the hedgehog's immune system, cause them to be constantly sick, attempt hibernation, and potentially die.
Back to top Go down
Lou

Lou

Night Shift Empty
PostSubject: Re: Night Shift   Night Shift Icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2013 11:47 am

Thisnisma great post , I have got mine out for cuddles in the day but imagery it's not right to change there routines of sleeping during the night
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100003745145643&ref=t
gems

gems

Night Shift Empty
PostSubject: Re: Night Shift   Night Shift Icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2013 12:19 pm

i do get theo out during the day for cuddles but i dont change his routine.
Back to top Go down

Night Shift Empty
PostSubject: Re: Night Shift   Night Shift Icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2013 12:34 pm

Mine are used to me lifting them out in the day - I think there is a big difference lifting them out for cuddles/cleaning etc than trying to change their entire routine
Back to top Go down
Melody
Admin
Admin
Melody

Night Shift Empty
PostSubject: Re: Night Shift   Night Shift Icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2013 12:37 pm

The hectic daytime and early evening lifestyle that I lead means that I fit so easily into a hedgehogs lifestyle. Perfect for me Very Happy

Although I must say that everytime I go into my hoggies, first thing in the morning and when I first come home from work, my Mushroom cannot help himself from getting up and coming out to see if I have anything tasty for him!

I do get them out for cuddles during the day if I'm home, but the little sleepyhead ones seem happy enough to snooze away in their bonding bag Very Happy

xoxox
Back to top Go down

Night Shift Empty
PostSubject: Re: Night Shift   Night Shift Icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2013 12:40 pm

Another valid point to add is that vet's are not open during the night so being able to lift your little one out in the day is a good thing if a vet trip is needed.
Back to top Go down
Melody
Admin
Admin
Melody

Night Shift Empty
PostSubject: Re: Night Shift   Night Shift Icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2013 12:41 pm

That really is a fair point Helen xx

xoxox
Back to top Go down
sue caldwell

sue caldwell

Night Shift Empty
PostSubject: Re: Night Shift   Night Shift Icon_minitimeTue Feb 19, 2013 9:02 pm

always have a quick peep at 7.30 before i go out , get huffed at but i know hes ok x
Back to top Go down
fionac
Rescue Committee/Carer
Rescue Committee/Carer
fionac

Night Shift Empty
PostSubject: Re: Night Shift   Night Shift Icon_minitimeTue Feb 19, 2013 9:42 pm

Really good point Helen. I'm lucky that Ody is so greedy, he always gets up in the day for a munch and to see what's going on, a few times for a few minutes, then it's back to bed again. Gives me a chance to check him over. Don't think iori comes out at all in the day, so have to get him out to give him a little check over in the day.x
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Night Shift Empty
PostSubject: Re: Night Shift   Night Shift Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Night Shift
Page 1 of 1