Prickly-Critterz Forum
Prickly-Critterz Forum
Prickly-Critterz Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Wilds

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Lou

Lou

Wilds Empty
PostSubject: Wilds   Wilds Icon_minitimeThu Oct 20, 2011 4:55 pm

After seeing a very big fellow in my garden last night .... i decided to post some information for people to read .

If you have hedgehogs in your garden, please look after them well. You are one of the very few lucky ones to still enjoy the presence of these endangered animals

Hedgehogs are insectivores with over 70% of their natural diet being insects and beetles, some worms and a very tiny amount of slugs and snails.

**Do not give them bread and milk**. They cannot digest the bread and cows milk gives hedgehogs very bad diarrhoea. Many hedgehogs die because of this wrong diet.

What to feed them on...

Tinned Cat, Dog, Puppy or Kitten food. They prefer Chicken flavours best. Do not give Fish flavours
Cat or Kitten Biscuits. Only give meat flavoured biscuits. Do not give Fish flavours. The premium brands like Royal Canin, Burns, Hills or James Wellbeloved are much better for them (The "cheaper" common brands contain much more cereal and are not so nutritious)
Spike’s Dinner hedgehog food either tinned or dry available from good pet shops or Direct from Spikes World who also have other quality hedgehog foods in their online store
Garden Bird Hedgehog food
Wildthings Hedgehog Food
Any cooked meat leftovers like chicken or mince. Chop all meat in very small pieces. Hedgehogs only have tiny teeth and cannot chew or tear big pieces.
Small pieces of chopped mild or medium cheddar cheese
Chopped Peanuts ( the same peanuts you feed the birds on. NOT SALTED NUTS)
Sultanas & Raisins
Lots of Water, especially in hot weather. Hedgehogs drink a lot of water.
DO NOT give salty foods like bacon and corned beef
In winter or cold weather use biscuits, peanuts, cheese etc instead of tinned meat which freezes quickly
Feed at night after the flies have gone and remove the food in the early morning, before the flies arrive. Fly maggots cause serious harm to hedgehogs.

Slugs and Snails

Gardeners wrongly think having hedgehogs in the garden is all they need to keep the slug and snail population down.

Hedgehogs mainly eat beetles and caterpillars, not slugs and snails
The idea that they only eat slugs and snails is very wrong. Only approximately 5% of their diet naturally will be slugs or snails.
They will only eat a lot of slugs and snails when they are starving and no other food is available.
A hedgehog that is forced to rely only on slugs and snails will not survive long. Offering a hedgehog additional food is the best thing for the hedgehog
Slugs and snails are the primary carriers for the lungworm which is the biggest killer of hedgehogs except for us and our careless behaviour
When the lungworms breed inside the hedgehog they rapidly multiply, fill the hedgehog's lungs and the hedgehog either dies from drowning (Pneumonia) or bleeding from the lungs.
Hedgehogs with lungworms have terrible breathing problems, are very thin and underweight, often have bad diarrhoea and will have secondary bacterial infections. Once the worms are well established the hedgehog coughs like an old smoker and gasp for air before dying in agony. Post mortem examinations often show the lungs as a solid mass with very little lung tissue left
Over half of all the hedgehogs brought into Rescue Centres or Wildlife Hospitals in Autumn and Winter die because of the damage the lungworms have done to them.

There is usually a significant prevalence of lungworms in hedgehogs. They cause a type of pneumonia that is often fatal. Lungworms are a special kind of nematode worm and are often very widespread. They are very tiny (invisible without a microscope) but attack the lungs in large numbers. This causes the hedgehog to produce a lot of watery fluid in its air passages and breathing becomes very laboured. Once the worms have established the hedgehog wheezes and coughs as though it had smoked 40 cigarettes a day. Hedgehogs get these parasites as a result of eating slugs and snails within which the parasite larvae live.
There are 2 main types of lungworms prevalent in hedgehogs: Crenosoma striatum and Capillaria aerophila. It has previously been thought that lungworms mainly affected adult hedgehogs because the juveniles wouldn't have had enough time to be badly infested. We have found that almost all juveniles, especially the Autumn orphans will carry a very heavy parasite load and unless given treatment will die.
The way to prevent a lot of the infestations is to make sure you feed the hedgehogs in YOUR garden, so they are not forced to eat slugs and snails. Once a hedgehog eats a slug it only takes 3 weeks before the lungworms are established in the lungs

Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100003745145643&ref=t
Nikki
Admin
Admin
Nikki

Wilds Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wilds   Wilds Icon_minitimeThu Oct 20, 2011 5:23 pm

great post Lou. I wish I had a wildie in my garden x
Back to top Go down
Lou

Lou

Wilds Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wilds   Wilds Icon_minitimeThu Oct 20, 2011 5:28 pm

I have a family i think this guy was huge .. he came back to eat the cat biscuits last night as he had left droppings by the bowl hoping to get some pictures of him later looks really heatlhy ..x
Back to top Go down
Nikki
Admin
Admin
Nikki

Wilds Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wilds   Wilds Icon_minitimeThu Oct 20, 2011 5:34 pm

awww yeah you have to get picci's, bounce even if you have to stay up all night waiting
Back to top Go down
Lou

Lou

Wilds Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wilds   Wilds Icon_minitimeThu Oct 20, 2011 5:35 pm

Well i went to get my camera last night .. and by the time i walked from the door to the breakfast bar he had gone .. then come back for the food .. will be putting more out he should hibernate soon he certainly looks bog enough not worried about t he way he looks ....

called him Ripley .x
Back to top Go down
Nikki
Admin
Admin
Nikki

Wilds Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wilds   Wilds Icon_minitimeThu Oct 20, 2011 5:42 pm

awww i'm glad he looks fit and well ready fro hibernation, i'm sure he will look you up when he's hungry again. love the name ripley x
Back to top Go down

Wilds Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wilds   Wilds Icon_minitimeThu Oct 20, 2011 6:05 pm

Put Keith in your garden Nikki - you would then have a wild beastie!!
Back to top Go down
Nikki
Admin
Admin
Nikki

Wilds Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wilds   Wilds Icon_minitimeThu Oct 20, 2011 6:42 pm

now their's a thought Big grin
Back to top Go down

Wilds Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wilds   Wilds Icon_minitimeThu Oct 20, 2011 8:44 pm

If you had Nigel as well we could promote them as the Wild Men of Northwich (not!)
Back to top Go down
Lou

Lou

Wilds Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wilds   Wilds Icon_minitimeFri Oct 21, 2011 8:17 am

Well Ripley never come back last night ...not sure if Ripley is a boy now ... as i had another visitor i might leave my camer near the back door as i missed the shot again ... Jenson her appeared last night was even bigger ..... i leave out a large amount of food .... got to get some pictures they will be hibernating soon but i reckon they live in my garden .x behind the shed .x
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Wilds Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wilds   Wilds Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Wilds
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Prickly-Critterz Forum :: Other Exotic Hedgehogs :: Wild Hedgehogs-
Jump to: