Prickly-Critterz Forum
Prickly-Critterz Forum
Prickly-Critterz Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

RABBIT OWNERS ALERT

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage

RABBIT OWNERS ALERT Empty
PostSubject: RABBIT OWNERS ALERT   RABBIT OWNERS ALERT Icon_minitimeFri Apr 05, 2013 4:41 pm

WILLOWS hog rescue has issued a warning from their vets about an outbreak of viral haemorrhagic disease --now while they are based in the kidderminster area --it might be wise for bunny owners to be aware --just thought w ewould pass this on
Back to top Go down
tayer
tayer

PostSubject: Re: RABBIT OWNERS ALERT   RABBIT OWNERS ALERT Icon_minitimeFri Apr 05, 2013 5:11 pm

ahhhh i hope mine dont get sick again...Sad
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/PethauPigioghedgehogs
gems

gems

PostSubject: Re: RABBIT OWNERS ALERT   RABBIT OWNERS ALERT Icon_minitimeFri Apr 05, 2013 5:28 pm

Is there not a vaccination against it?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: RABBIT OWNERS ALERT   RABBIT OWNERS ALERT Icon_minitimeFri Apr 05, 2013 5:50 pm

I had Pudding vaccinated for this I think x
Back to top Go down
pammie
Rescue Committee/Carer
Rescue Committee/Carer
pammie

PostSubject: Re: RABBIT OWNERS ALERT   RABBIT OWNERS ALERT Icon_minitimeFri Apr 05, 2013 7:47 pm

I think roxy has been vaccinated against this x
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: RABBIT OWNERS ALERT   RABBIT OWNERS ALERT Icon_minitimeFri Apr 05, 2013 8:01 pm

I know Pudding had two jabs although they are doing a combined jab now x
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: RABBIT OWNERS ALERT   RABBIT OWNERS ALERT Icon_minitimeFri Apr 05, 2013 8:02 pm

Your rabbits should be vaccinated every year against two disease; Myxomatosis and Viral Haemorrhagic Disease. These are both very serious diseases that are often fatal and have no cure, so vaccination is essential!

Myxomatosis
Viral Haemorrhagic Disease

Myxomatosis

Myxomatosis is a virus which causes a nasty upper respiratory infection. Rabbits get runny noses, sticky eye discharge, which can be so thick they cannot see, and swelling around the head and face.

It is spread by fleas or other biting insects, which pass it from the wild rabbit population to pet rabbits. For more advice on treating fleas on rabbits, click here
Vaccination against myxomatosis can be given from 6 weeks of age but more usually is given at 12 weeks.

Rabbits are vaccinated every 6 months if they are in a high risk area, such as in rural gardens or there are wild rabbits near where they live, or every 12 months if the risk is lower.

About 10% of the vaccination is given intra-dermally, which means in the skin rather than under the skin (subcutaneously). This is so that the rabbit's immune system will respond correctly and give the highest level of protection. After vaccination, your rabbit may develop a lump where this was done but it will go down in a few days.

Treating a rabbit with Myxomatosis is very difficult, they need high levels of intensive care and often do not survive anyway. Prevention is much better than cure!

Viral Haemorrhagic disease (VHD) Back to top

VHD is a nasty virus which is almost 100% fatal. Infected rabbits develop high temperatures, refuse to eat, bleed from the nose, have internal bleeding and can even fit.

VHD is spread by direct contact between rabbits and also via indirect contact such as from people, bedding, shoes ect. Therefore both indoor and outdoor rabbits are at risk.

Vaccination is very successful and can be given from 12-14 weeks of age and needs to be boosted every year.

VHD is almost always fatal and there is no cure. If a rabbit does survive it will be infectious to others.

It is both Pam x
Back to top Go down
pammie
Rescue Committee/Carer
Rescue Committee/Carer
pammie

PostSubject: Re: RABBIT OWNERS ALERT   RABBIT OWNERS ALERT Icon_minitimeFri Apr 05, 2013 8:11 pm

I think roxy has been vaccinated against this yeah it was the combined one roxy got. Glad she's safe x
Back to top Go down
Lou

Lou

PostSubject: Re: RABBIT OWNERS ALERT   RABBIT OWNERS ALERT Icon_minitimeFri Apr 05, 2013 10:29 pm

awww I hope everyone's bunnies are ok .
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100003745145643&ref=t
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: RABBIT OWNERS ALERT   RABBIT OWNERS ALERT Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

RABBIT OWNERS ALERT
Page 1 of 1