Prickly-Critterz Forum
Prickly-Critterz Forum
Prickly-Critterz Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

I really need some help...

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
kiki93

kiki93

I really need some help... Empty
PostSubject: I really need some help...   I really need some help... Icon_minitimeSat Apr 20, 2013 2:25 pm

Right. Billys viv stays at about 20 degrees Celsius with no heating. Now I need to get it to 26 yes?

Is a ceramic heater the best option? If not is a heat mat? Would a heat mat heat the tank enough tho? Through wood etc. I dont know what to do now. Im kindaconfused aas everyone uses different. Whats best? What isnt.

I have a bearded dragon but I only have to heat one side of her tankas she has to have a cool down side...dose billy need the same. Can somebody please detail it for me as im not sure im understanding. Everything has to be perfect before he comes home.. (13 days btw, not that im counting down haha)

Im a worry wirt and its stressing me so much Sad
Back to top Go down
gems

gems

PostSubject: Re: I really need some help...   I really need some help... Icon_minitimeSat Apr 20, 2013 2:37 pm

I have a heat mat on a stat it comes on automaticly when temp drops below 21 my heat mat is up on the inside wall of viv as theo was scratching it. if your house is normally warm anyway you shouldnt worry to much. ive never used ceramic so cant give you advice on them but people on here do use them and say they are good,
Back to top Go down
kiki93

kiki93

PostSubject: Re: I really need some help...   I really need some help... Icon_minitimeSat Apr 20, 2013 2:40 pm

So if I put in a heat mat, dose it o outside viv? Surley this wont raise the temps? Xx
Back to top Go down
tayer
tayer

PostSubject: Re: I really need some help...   I really need some help... Icon_minitimeSat Apr 20, 2013 2:43 pm

if you read the mat instructions it advises outside underneath the viv...i have 1 outside and all the others inside....its your decision...and its just their sleeping area thats really warm...rather than the whole viv..for my hedgehogs.

i dont bother with checking temps of the viv but the room itself.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/PethauPigioghedgehogs
gems

gems

PostSubject: Re: I really need some help...   I really need some help... Icon_minitimeSat Apr 20, 2013 2:45 pm

you can put it inside viv in the sleeping area just on floor. or inside on back wall. i did have mine in viv on floor but theo started to scratch it and i was worried it was going to get damaged and be unsafe so i moved it. the ceramic heaters give an all round heat inside so if you are very worried just go for the ceramic but you will need a stat so when the temp drops below a certain temp it comes on and gives you more reasurence.x
Back to top Go down
kiki93

kiki93

PostSubject: Re: I really need some help...   I really need some help... Icon_minitimeSat Apr 20, 2013 2:50 pm

Im happy to do a heat mat.. let me get this right. Put heat mat in viv under fleece liner. Attached to a 100watt mat stat. Set to 23 so his bed side never drops below that? Leave other half with no heat matt? Where do I put sensor too? On the ba k wall nextnto bed area? Or under liner next to heat matt? Xx
Back to top Go down
tayer
tayer

PostSubject: Re: I really need some help...   I really need some help... Icon_minitimeSat Apr 20, 2013 2:53 pm

thats right...
sensor, i used to put above in the middle...
most hogs cope with a drop of about 19-20...unless you have an sensitive hog like my petals....all my other hogs are fine..
Back to top Go down
gems

gems

PostSubject: Re: I really need some help...   I really need some help... Icon_minitimeSat Apr 20, 2013 2:56 pm

yep that is right Very Happy but i have my sensor outside viv as i have always gone by room temp.
Back to top Go down
tayer
tayer

PostSubject: Re: I really need some help...   I really need some help... Icon_minitimeSat Apr 20, 2013 2:57 pm

i do too now, as i have 8 hogs and 1 thermometer....
Back to top Go down
gems

gems

PostSubject: Re: I really need some help...   I really need some help... Icon_minitimeSat Apr 20, 2013 2:58 pm

seems to make more sense i think then you know vivs are always going to be correct temp.
Back to top Go down
kiki93

kiki93

PostSubject: Re: I really need some help...   I really need some help... Icon_minitimeSat Apr 20, 2013 2:59 pm

Sensor inside on the roof above bed area be ok? Xx
Back to top Go down
kiki93

kiki93

PostSubject: Re: I really need some help...   I really need some help... Icon_minitimeSat Apr 20, 2013 3:00 pm

My house isnt 23 degrees... hold on I will see what temp house is now xx
Back to top Go down
gems

gems

PostSubject: Re: I really need some help...   I really need some help... Icon_minitimeSat Apr 20, 2013 3:01 pm

i put mine ontop of viv outside. then it goes off room temp.
Back to top Go down
kiki93

kiki93

PostSubject: Re: I really need some help...   I really need some help... Icon_minitimeSat Apr 20, 2013 3:04 pm

Im not sure I understand. If I put it outside... I wont know what temp his viv is? What if its hotter in there than my room.. then his viv will be too hot, humph!
Back to top Go down
kiki93

kiki93

PostSubject: Re: I really need some help...   I really need some help... Icon_minitimeSat Apr 20, 2013 3:17 pm

My house is 19.4 degrees.. that will be average all day. On a night tho fire goes on for a hour so gets warm.. xx
Back to top Go down
tayer
tayer

PostSubject: Re: I really need some help...   I really need some help... Icon_minitimeSat Apr 20, 2013 3:18 pm

your heat mat stat has a sensor on it and that goes above the sleeping area...above the mat.

your thermometer is personal option...could either put it inside in the middle or outside for room temp...

after erading the comments back, i wasnt sure which one you ment...Wink
Back to top Go down
gems

gems

PostSubject: Re: I really need some help...   I really need some help... Icon_minitimeSat Apr 20, 2013 3:19 pm

If you go off room temp and have a stat then it should never get to hot. If you prefer you could put it inside viv on top roof so then you know But I've never had trouble doing it that way.
Back to top Go down
tayer
tayer

PostSubject: Re: I really need some help...   I really need some help... Icon_minitimeSat Apr 20, 2013 3:28 pm

i was looking through my pics to show you....
here if you look in the middle viv you can see the leads to the heat mat and iv cable tied the mat stat sensor to it above the sleeping area...

[img][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][/img]
Back to top Go down
tayer
tayer

PostSubject: Re: I really need some help...   I really need some help... Icon_minitimeSat Apr 20, 2013 3:32 pm

[img][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][/img]
Back to top Go down
Gaga

Gaga

PostSubject: Re: I really need some help...   I really need some help... Icon_minitimeSat Apr 20, 2013 5:05 pm

the thing i find easiest to do is have a room heater for main heat, i have a mat too for extra heat on cold days Very Happy xx
Back to top Go down
kiki93

kiki93

PostSubject: Re: I really need some help...   I really need some help... Icon_minitimeSat Apr 20, 2013 5:08 pm

Right taylor that's what I was gunna do esactly how you have!! Thankyou I will do it how I thought was correct! Thanks guys!! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
kiki93

kiki93

PostSubject: Re: I really need some help...   I really need some help... Icon_minitimeSat Apr 20, 2013 5:21 pm

Hes gunna be in my front room, not very ideal to have my living room at 26 degrees lol!!
Back to top Go down
tayer
tayer

PostSubject: Re: I really need some help...   I really need some help... Icon_minitimeSun Apr 21, 2013 9:13 am

after reading the comments i was wondering if you ment the mat stat sensor...lol rather than the thermometer that reads the temperature....lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I really need some help...   I really need some help... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

I really need some help...
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Prickly-Critterz Forum :: Health, Care and Habitat :: Hedgehog Housing & Environmental Enrichment-
Jump to: