Prickly-Critterz Forum
Prickly-Critterz Forum
Prickly-Critterz Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Indoor And Outdoor Play

Go down 
+3
tayer
janey
7 posters
AuthorMessage

Indoor And Outdoor Play Empty
PostSubject: Indoor And Outdoor Play   Indoor And Outdoor Play Icon_minitimeWed Jan 25, 2012 1:20 pm

Play

•Even though hedgehogs are not typically described as “chewers” it is possible they can chew electrical wires so it is a good idea to keep them away from your hedgehog while it is playing.

•Your hedgehog may be litter box trained but it is also likely to potty anywhere outside the cage it gets the urge. Make sure the floor can be easily cleaned and that there are no climbing objects such as books or magazines that can be ruined if they get soiled or wet.

•Enclosed play areas with smooth sides are ideal because the hedgie is less likely to attempt to try and climb out.

•A plastic kiddie pool is a great place to let your hedgehog exercise and play. The hedgehogs won’t be able to escape unless are objects close to the wall. They can climb on play accessories to give themselves a boost up and over the top.

•Pet corrals are available through several vendors. You can put plastic tablecloths down to protect the floor and still have a portable and safe play area. Keep corralled hedgies under supervision because some may try to bulldoze under and escape.
Outdoor Activity

•Some people choose to take their hedgies outdoors on nice days. We believe that as long as you take certain precautions your hedgehog may enjoy a change in scenery.

•You will want to make sure the weather is suitable and the hedgehogs are not exposed to direct sunlight or high temperatures. Z.G. Standing Bear recommends a minimum outdoor temperature of 70 degrees Fahrenheit.

•We suggest keeping your hedgehog in a protected, enclosed area where you can monitor your hedgehog’s activity at all times. Make sure there is not place to burrow or any potential escape routes.

•Unless you are very close by your hedgehog it is a good idea to have a secure lid on your outdoor enclosure. This will prevent an escape or having your hedgehog become lunch for a hawk, eagle, or other hungry creature.

•According to Z.G. Standing Bear “Unfamiliar with the spines of a hedgehog, a large bird may snatch up a hedgehog as s/he would a rabbit and may even give up on the project enroute, only to drop the hedgehog several hundred feet to the ground”.

•Hedgehogs can pick up parasites, pathogens or toxins from things in their environment. Some hedgehog owners choose to let their hedgehogs explore the grass. Always make sure the grass has not been treated with any chemicals.

•Outdoor insects may be a tasty treat for your hedgehog but you must make sure the bugs have not been exposed to any insecticides.

•It is a good idea to have your veterinarian check a fecal sample for parasites at the end of the summer if your hedgehog has played outdoors. Parasites are easily treated so they are not a huge concern.

•Hedgehogs are good swimmers but it is never a good idea for them to swim in a pool or pond.

Back to top Go down
janey

janey

PostSubject: Re: Indoor And Outdoor Play   Indoor And Outdoor Play Icon_minitimeWed Jan 25, 2012 1:37 pm

I swear by my Tesco ball pit, wouldn't be without it, they can play safely in there and not get into any mischeif xx
Back to top Go down
tayer
tayer

PostSubject: Re: Indoor And Outdoor Play   Indoor And Outdoor Play Icon_minitimeWed Jan 25, 2012 1:55 pm

iv been meaning to pick one of them up....its a must when i get my boys....! poppet just had the run of the living room....while honey would just curl and sleep or wheel constantly.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/PethauPigioghedgehogs
Nikki
Admin
Admin
Nikki

PostSubject: Re: Indoor And Outdoor Play   Indoor And Outdoor Play Icon_minitimeWed Jan 25, 2012 1:58 pm

i love my ball pits. however millie spends most of her time trying to climb out, i have to stick tape round the mesh bit so she can't get a grip...little devil Shocked
Back to top Go down
Cathy

Cathy

PostSubject: Re: Indoor And Outdoor Play   Indoor And Outdoor Play Icon_minitimeWed Jan 25, 2012 2:00 pm

I've got a early learning ball pool, and it's great. Lou has one too.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

***Child not included!!!!!***
Back to top Go down
Melody
Admin
Admin
Melody

PostSubject: Re: Indoor And Outdoor Play   Indoor And Outdoor Play Icon_minitimeWed Jan 25, 2012 2:03 pm

Again, another brilliant post Helen. Thank you xx

Nikki's gang has almost a ball pool each!! I've seen them

xoxox
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Indoor And Outdoor Play   Indoor And Outdoor Play Icon_minitimeSun Mar 18, 2012 11:00 am

iam pleased i found this as i was going to ask what everyone uses for a play area. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Gaga

Gaga

PostSubject: Re: Indoor And Outdoor Play   Indoor And Outdoor Play Icon_minitimeSun Mar 18, 2012 11:12 am

where do you get the ball pits from? how much usually?xx
Back to top Go down
Melody
Admin
Admin
Melody

PostSubject: Re: Indoor And Outdoor Play   Indoor And Outdoor Play Icon_minitimeSun Mar 18, 2012 12:49 pm

They did have them in the sale one time at Tescos for £7.50! But I think they're usually around £12-£20.... Tescos, Asda, Index, Argos, Early Learning Centre...

xoxox
Back to top Go down
Gaga

Gaga

PostSubject: Re: Indoor And Outdoor Play   Indoor And Outdoor Play Icon_minitimeSun Mar 18, 2012 1:04 pm

Thanks I'll have a look on the websites Smile xx
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Indoor And Outdoor Play   Indoor And Outdoor Play Icon_minitimeSun Mar 18, 2012 4:28 pm

Tesco have them in stock or you can order for reservation in store.
Back to top Go down
Gaga

Gaga

PostSubject: Re: Indoor And Outdoor Play   Indoor And Outdoor Play Icon_minitimeSun Mar 18, 2012 4:38 pm

Oh lovely, I need to get one.. Sick of being pooped on Smile lol xx
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Indoor And Outdoor Play   Indoor And Outdoor Play Icon_minitimeSun Mar 18, 2012 4:49 pm

When they have had a good play out they get the pooping and weeing out of the way - always adviseable to have an old towel on stand by but normally I do not get pooped on when they have had a good run out.
Back to top Go down
Melody
Admin
Admin
Melody

PostSubject: Re: Indoor And Outdoor Play   Indoor And Outdoor Play Icon_minitimeSun Mar 18, 2012 10:56 pm

I only really get pooped on by Little Miiss Daisy Splat.... Well, not really me... Everyone else.... I'm a tad more wiser than them.... However, very unusually... Puddin' pooped everywhere yesterday... And now has a poop patch on her quills!

xoxox
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Indoor And Outdoor Play   Indoor And Outdoor Play Icon_minitimeMon Mar 19, 2012 7:40 am

Poop Patch Puddin' - love it!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Indoor And Outdoor Play   Indoor And Outdoor Play Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Indoor And Outdoor Play
Page 1 of 1