Prickly-Critterz Forum
Prickly-Critterz Forum
Prickly-Critterz Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Starting from scratch - A beginners Set-up List (with notes)

Go down 
+3
Josie
janey
Elaine67
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Elaine67
Elaine67

Starting from scratch - A beginners Set-up List (with notes) Empty
PostSubject: Starting from scratch - A beginners Set-up List (with notes)   Starting from scratch - A beginners Set-up List (with notes) Icon_minitimeSun Feb 12, 2012 12:16 pm

Hi folks,

Well, I've drafted up a to-do/shopping list for my future hoggy pal. Whilst I think I've covered everything, if you do see any glaring omissions I'd be grateful if you let me know. I've been lucky. Because of my many years of keeping pets (including exotics) much of the prep-work is universal - what you'd do for any new pet, but I've posted it anyway to set your minds at rest and hopefully show that I'm not charging into this willy-nilly...

1. Locate vet with exotics (hedgehog) expertise. Ask if they have hedgehogs on their books. Do some homework on hedgie meds (every species has do's and dont's with drugs) When faced by a new vet I usually ask what they would use for pain relief. Many domestic vets have a 'one size fits all' approach which whilst usually fine for dogs and cats can be fatal for an exotic species.

2. Make assessment of you're home and select several appropriate sites for the cage. Consider enviromental issues such as draft free, out of direct light, close to a power-point (for heatmat) and social issues regarding the nature of your hog. If hoggy's a bold, sociable sort then a high-traffic location will be fine. However, if the lil' prickler turns out to be a more timid type a quieter, more private location will be needed.

3. Shopping list:
Zoozone 2 (the biggest) or a minimum 36" vivarium modified with extra vents (vivs can be fitted with a lock - a big plus when you've small people about).
Heat mat and Thermostat. Ensures constant temperature -added protection against the risk of hibernation. However, remember to provide a cool zone in the cage when setting up.

Sleep box/house hiding places. Warm, private place to sleep lined with fleece. Provide several in various designs - be imaginative - remember comfort and ongoing stimulation.

12" Silent Wheel. Vital equipment for physical and emotional wellfare - keep's 'em trim and entertained. Will be spending a few pounds more for the silent sort as I used to breed gerbils and hamsters before these were available - the noise was awful... and hedgies can run for hours!

Fleece for floor covering. Consider floor covering. Remember to keep it as dust free as possible. Fleece is a good option. Low mess (compared to paper type substrates) washable, and cheap to buy (have seen fleece blankets in pound shops and discount stores) fleece pays for itself and adds to the insulation/heat retention of the cage. For designer look buy/make sets!

Bowls and Bottles - easily forgotten.

Food. A good quality dry cat food as a base food. Add foods like cooked chicken, cottage cheese (remembering that aside from cottage cheese, hedgies are lactose intollorent) cooked mince for variety. Before introducing a new food, check it's hog-safe. As with all animals, if in doubt leave it out.

In addition, it's useful to have access to a small (kitchen) scale. Personally I check all my animals weights as it's often a good indicator of a problem. With baby small-breeds I like to pick up where the conciencious breeder has left off and montior weight and growth.

First, thanks for reading. Like I said, much is common sense and previous experience or other species. However, as experienced keepers what do you think? I've been reading up on hedgies for months now. I've handled a hog (whih I recommend to anyone thinking of getting something new - think of it as try-before-you-buy!) read books, spoken to my vet and joined you all here. Is there anything missing off the shopping list? Have I missed a step in my home assessment?

Thanks again
Elaine

Last edited by Elaine67 on Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:35 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
janey

janey

PostSubject: Re: Starting from scratch - A beginners Set-up List (with notes)   Starting from scratch - A beginners Set-up List (with notes) Icon_minitimeSun Feb 12, 2012 12:29 pm

Looks like you have proper done your research, nice to see!

The only thing I would add is mine love veg, peas, carrots sweetcorn and they just love mealworms and some will eat fruit.
I don't personally use bottles as hedgie could get his little tongue stuck in it, bowls are fine for water as well as food.

They do love their toys, a toilet roll tube cut length ways so they don't get stuck will entertain them, also cat balls and little teddies and some have them little kongs that you can fill with treats.

There are two recommended sellers on here that make fleece liners and the pouches that they sleep in, you have to be careful that there are no loose threads if you make your own as they can get their feet stuck and this can cause loss of circulation to the foot.If you look in the recommended sellers threads you will see all the fleece designs they have! I highly recommend them both!

As for a wheel I have tried most including the Silent spinner wheel, but by far the best is The Larry wheel, it is quiet, and so easy to clean, Lou ships them in from America and then distributes them to all of us if you would like to order one of them you have to put your name down on the list on here!

Hope this helps a bit xxx

Back to top Go down
Josie

Josie

PostSubject: Re: Starting from scratch - A beginners Set-up List (with notes)   Starting from scratch - A beginners Set-up List (with notes) Icon_minitimeSun Feb 12, 2012 12:34 pm

wow elaine, you've certainly done your homework! where are you getting your hedgie from?
for your liners i would recommend helen's, they are fab. she's also made me a tunnel, pouch and bonding bag.
Larry's wheels are considered the best and are absolutely silent, Lou is doing an order for one over on recommended sellers if you havent already seen it
Toys!!! Little cat balls (no holes), a teddy bear, a toilet tube cut down the middle, stuff like that...
litter tray with non-clumping substrate
a little first aid kit but i expect you've got all that with your other animals... there is a first aid checklist by helen on health i think...
your hedgie will be one lucky hog! xxx
Back to top Go down
Josie

Josie

PostSubject: Re: Starting from scratch - A beginners Set-up List (with notes)   Starting from scratch - A beginners Set-up List (with notes) Icon_minitimeSun Feb 12, 2012 12:35 pm

lol janey you beat me to it! xxx
Back to top Go down
Elaine67
Elaine67

PostSubject: Re: Starting from scratch - A beginners Set-up List (with notes)   Starting from scratch - A beginners Set-up List (with notes) Icon_minitimeSun Feb 12, 2012 1:14 pm

Wow that was quick!
Thanks for that Janey. I had thought of adding in veg but the post was getting so long (and I didn't want to seem like I was preaching!) I know what you mean about loo-rolls and kongs - have 'em for the ferrets (and big 'uns for the dogs!) Mealworms are always handy - they can help with meds sometimes too. I'm going with bowls for safety - was going to offer both initially as I've had animals who've refused point blank to use a bottle - I used to let 'em decide. Toys - we've bucketfuls. I change 'em round for the ferrets every few days - keeps 'em keen - even have some left from the owllets. I just grab 'em from clearance bins in my pet shops lol!

As for the bedding - I've seen them here - tres chic! I'll be sorting them once I've bought my viv as I haven't decided what size to buy yet - depends on space around the house. The loose thread point is well made - for any animal really.

Thanks Josie! You're right. I do have an animal firstaid kit - Those that don't know me would say it's got some weird stuff in it too - mini files and rasps (for split beaks and claws) super glue (for repairing broken feathers) as well as the usual dressings, sprays etc. I'e located two breeders close to home (Rugby & Warwickshire) but haven't contacted them yet. I'll ask to visit/join a waiting list when I'm more sorted out. I don't drive, so I have go be fair to Chris (DH) otherwise I'd be thinking about one of the breeders listed here - sadly they're just too far away.

Thanks for that kind remark - I always do the best I can for the family pets - it's the least I can do after bringing 'em into this loony-bin lol!

Thanks again folks
Back to top Go down
tayer
tayer

PostSubject: Re: Starting from scratch - A beginners Set-up List (with notes)   Starting from scratch - A beginners Set-up List (with notes) Icon_minitimeSun Feb 12, 2012 1:50 pm

no bottles as hedgies catch their tounges in the ball, just 3 bowls...1 for water, 1 for biscuits, and 1 for theire fruit/veg/mealies/meat.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/PethauPigioghedgehogs
Josie

Josie

PostSubject: Re: Starting from scratch - A beginners Set-up List (with notes)   Starting from scratch - A beginners Set-up List (with notes) Icon_minitimeSun Feb 12, 2012 1:56 pm

cathy has some baby boys for sale in birkenhead... not sure how far away that is from you... they are Precious Babies and have a very good lineage xxx
Back to top Go down
Elaine67
Elaine67

PostSubject: Re: Starting from scratch - A beginners Set-up List (with notes)   Starting from scratch - A beginners Set-up List (with notes) Icon_minitimeSun Feb 12, 2012 2:13 pm

Tayer,
Do hedgies like those veggie holders that hang from the roof? I do give separate bowls for foods - site 'em around the cage - finding them gives the beastie something to do lol!

Josie, I've seen the pickies of Cathy's little gang - very, cute, well raised and (like you said) well bred. unfortunately Birkenhead is over 90 miles from Coventry and I couldn't justify that distance. Chris would go nuts!! Also, I haven't bought any equipment yet.

Thanks for taking the trouble to let me known though.

Elaine

PS Just looked at Cathy's pickies again (Aww) her profile says Berkshire - Has she moved up north?

Back to top Go down
tayer
tayer

PostSubject: Re: Starting from scratch - A beginners Set-up List (with notes)   Starting from scratch - A beginners Set-up List (with notes) Icon_minitimeSun Feb 12, 2012 2:27 pm

is it them wire balls you put things in??...which you use to put hay in for rabbits??

i think it will be entertaining for them...like boredom breakers, as they need to work for their food same as the gongs.

cathy lives in kintbury...berkshire.

Back to top Go down
Melody
Admin
Admin
Melody

PostSubject: Re: Starting from scratch - A beginners Set-up List (with notes)   Starting from scratch - A beginners Set-up List (with notes) Icon_minitimeSun Feb 12, 2012 2:57 pm

Wowser Elaine! You've deffo done you're research good and proper. Well done!

It's me who lives in Birkenhead Josie Very Happy

You seem to have everything covered now with extra pointers from the girls above. Can I just add in to remember not to ave anything fish based including biscuits. Oh and things like onions or garlic are also a no no.

Please, please, please do as much research into finding a breeder as you have into preparing your hoggie home. There have been some frightening stories lately about so called breeders not providing right environments for their herds or babies, litters who have been inbred and generally poor everything all round. Please ask about history of parents, how old mum and dad are when bred, lineage of the young, whether they are registered and also please bear in mind the price of the hoglets. We would just like to see that you have a well bred choggie that can live as long and as healthy a life as possible. Any good and ethical breeder will not mind if you check them out. Please let us know how you get on and your experiences in looking for a breeder.

Please also remember that anybody can talk the talk when trying o sell something to you.... Research and groundwork pays off.

It's really nice to have somebody like you on board the hedgehog world Elaine.

xoxox
Back to top Go down
Leanne

Leanne

PostSubject: Re: Starting from scratch - A beginners Set-up List (with notes)   Starting from scratch - A beginners Set-up List (with notes) Icon_minitimeSun Feb 12, 2012 2:58 pm

You've done your research Elaine:) who's the breeders you've found?? X
Back to top Go down
Josie

Josie

PostSubject: Re: Starting from scratch - A beginners Set-up List (with notes)   Starting from scratch - A beginners Set-up List (with notes) Icon_minitimeSun Feb 12, 2012 2:59 pm

doh! they both begin with a b... Rolling Eyes Laughing xxx
Back to top Go down
Elaine67
Elaine67

PostSubject: Re: Starting from scratch - A beginners Set-up List (with notes)   Starting from scratch - A beginners Set-up List (with notes) Icon_minitimeMon Feb 13, 2012 12:48 am

Hi everyone and thanks for the feedback.

Tayer, that's exactly the thing I ment - never had a beastie that didn't enjoy their veggy pinyata lol!

Melody, I was aware of most of it but I had forgotten to note the fish say so a big thankyou to you for that...

As for breeders... Don't get me started! It's as bad as puppy farmers - but at least I'm on home ground there - I know my way around dogs and know what to look for hands-on. I approached the issue as I would when looking for a dog. I started with the UKAPH which I imagine is the hog version of the Kennel Club. I was luck enough to find one local breeder on their list:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] The site looks good (but what would I know) and like I said before, once I'm ready I plan to get in touch and to arrange a visit prior to joining her waiting list. I haven't made contact yet. A also found this person on Pre-loved: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] I'm not so sure about this one but it is local and it can't hurt to look.

I'm glad I've got a while yet. I hope I get it right for Annice's sake. She's a tough little lass. How many 8yr olds fly birds of prey? We were flying our big African Eagle Owl to her when a gust of wind caused him to miss landing on her little falconry glove and he landed on her mid-arm (just below her elbow) - she stayed stock still - shouted "OUCH - Get him off!" and waited as Chris and I removed his tallons from through her jacket! However, whilst the odd nip or quill won't worry her too much, a wild, vicious prickle-monster could really shatter her confidence!

Last edited by Elaine67 on Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Josie

Josie

PostSubject: Re: Starting from scratch - A beginners Set-up List (with notes)   Starting from scratch - A beginners Set-up List (with notes) Icon_minitimeMon Feb 13, 2012 7:19 am

I need to warn you Elaine, the preloved account is that of a very well known unethical breeder, steer well clear xxx
Back to top Go down
tayer
tayer

PostSubject: Re: Starting from scratch - A beginners Set-up List (with notes)   Starting from scratch - A beginners Set-up List (with notes) Icon_minitimeMon Feb 13, 2012 7:53 am

Yes i totally agree with Josie on the prelived advert, you should read the Dougle/tomsk story in the tenrec part!! And helen And Lou are trying all their might to get this advert down!!

Last edited by tayer on Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Starting from scratch - A beginners Set-up List (with notes)   Starting from scratch - A beginners Set-up List (with notes) Icon_minitimeMon Feb 13, 2012 9:07 am

Definately read the Dougal/Tomsk Story - I would steer well clear and I have no problem in naming and shaming her - I am still worried about Tomsk and it will take some time to get him back to full health.

Don't discount the breeders on here either - we tend to have "ladies that lunch" days and meet at Beckett's Farm at Redditch - you might not get to visit in person but you would be assured of as much help and advice and in some ways you know them through the forum - only a thought that you might consider.

Back to top Go down
tayer
tayer

PostSubject: Re: Starting from scratch - A beginners Set-up List (with notes)   Starting from scratch - A beginners Set-up List (with notes) Icon_minitimeMon Feb 13, 2012 9:33 am

if a place is too far for travelling some people will be quite happy to meet half way and some offer defra couriers.
Back to top Go down
Elaine67
Elaine67

PostSubject: Re: Starting from scratch - A beginners Set-up List (with notes)   Starting from scratch - A beginners Set-up List (with notes) Icon_minitimeMon Feb 13, 2012 11:00 am

Thanks for that info. I've just read Helen's thread - just terrible!

I don't know what else to say really - I have sent Helen a PM.

Like I said in my previous post, there were issues with the ad that concerned me...

Will post again later.
Elaine
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Starting from scratch - A beginners Set-up List (with notes)   Starting from scratch - A beginners Set-up List (with notes) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Starting from scratch - A beginners Set-up List (with notes)
Page 1 of 1