Prickly-Critterz Forum
Prickly-Critterz Forum
Prickly-Critterz Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Having Fun with Your Hedgehog

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage

Having Fun with Your Hedgehog Empty
PostSubject: Having Fun with Your Hedgehog   Having Fun with Your Hedgehog Icon_minitimeSun Feb 19, 2012 4:28 pm

This is an article that I have just found on the net - would just like to add my points to this which are in red

Your hedgehog's best defense is passive resistance. So don't be surprised if at first it seems you brought home a grapefruit-sized bristle ball rather than a curious and unique insectivore. Don't worry; with time and patience you will discover just how fun living with your hedgehog can be.

Handling

Allow your hedgehog time to get used to his new surroundings before you approach him. After a few days, you can start visiting with him in the evening. Hedgehogs are nervous creatures with poor eyesight, and your pet may click his tongue or hiss a warning at you when you come near. Even if he does curl up in a ball, try picking him up and resting him in your lap while you sit quietly. Wear jeans, or protect your lap with a towel. You may wish for gloves, but try not to wear them if you can. You want your hedgehog to start recognizing your scent.

I advise that a little and often is the best way to bond with your new arrival - whilst giving them time to settle in sounds like a good idea I have found that my new arrivals fare better with handling from the onset - I never wear gloves

Uncurled, your hedgehog has a soft and spine-free underbelly. You can pick up a relaxed hedgehog by carefully scooping him up with both hands under his stomach. Generally speaking, hedgehogs do not like to be petted on their quills as you would pat a dog. Never hold a hedgehog such that your fingers could get caught if your pet were startled and suddenly curled up. This could be an extraordinarily painful situation for you!

Each hoggie is different and you have to go by their temperament as to how much petting they will tolerate - I have a large herd and I have to say that the majority of mine are fine with me handling them and stroking their quills - this said, when they have had enough they will take themselves off and either bury into my dressing gown or go under the towel - i let let tell me when enough is enough

Ambience may have a lot to do with how receptive and playful your hedgehog is. Try to keep lights low in the room where your hedgehog lives. The temperature should be quite warm – between 70 and 85 degrees Fahrenheit is ideal – and there should be no major disturbances from loud music or a blaring television.

I am not a lover of breeding in quiet rooms or excluding them from normal household noises - mine have a run in the conservatory with lights and a calor gas fire to keep them warm, as they are running around they generate their own heat and do not feel cold when I lift them out for cuddle time, as for noise, we have the TV on and if there is a good film on the surround sound is on - I hoover my liners daily and my hoggies are used to my routine.

Hedgehog Activities

Many domestic hedgehogs suffer from obesity as they age. This may be in large part attributed to inappropriate feeding practices, but it also has to do with low levels of exercise and activity in captivity. To combat health-threatening weight gain, you need to give your hedgehog simple toys to play with and allow him regular exercise outside of the cage.

You're not likely to find many hedgehog-specific toys at your local pet store, but don't despair. Your hedgehog will enjoy playing with cardboard boxes and toilet paper tubes you have sitting around your house right now. Slit the toilet paper tubes down the side so that your pet does not get stuck in it if he tries to squeeze his head or body through it.

Some owners like giving their hedgehogs solid rubber balls, rawhide chew toys, and other semi-indestructible children's toys. Be creative, and have fun watching your hedgehog play to see which toys are the biggest hit. You can also get your hedgehog a large wheel to run in (9-inch to 14-inch diameter, depending on how large your pet is) but be sure to cover up any spaces between the wires on a standard rat wheel. Line a wire wheel with strips of vinyl, duct-tape, or plastic needlepoint mesh to prevent your hedgehog from putting his leg through it while he is running.

You can also let your hedgehog explore outside of his cage. Close him into a room that you've hedgehog-proofed: lift all electrical wires off the floor, check the floorboards for holes, close all windows and doors and block off the spaces behind heavy furniture. Or let him run up and down an empty hallway. Remember to supervise your hedgehog's exercise sessions at all times.

Back to top Go down
Melody
Admin
Admin
Melody

PostSubject: Re: Having Fun with Your Hedgehog   Having Fun with Your Hedgehog Icon_minitimeSun Feb 19, 2012 4:39 pm

Great post Helen... Definitely a must read for any new members.

xoxox
Back to top Go down
Paula2203

PostSubject: Re: Having Fun with Your Hedgehog   Having Fun with Your Hedgehog Icon_minitimeMon Feb 20, 2012 9:23 pm

Great post - thank you Smile xx
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Having Fun with Your Hedgehog   Having Fun with Your Hedgehog Icon_minitimeMon Feb 20, 2012 9:31 pm

Thank you x
Back to top Go down
janey

janey

PostSubject: Re: Having Fun with Your Hedgehog   Having Fun with Your Hedgehog Icon_minitimeMon Feb 20, 2012 10:26 pm

Another brilliant post xx
Back to top Go down
Josie

Josie

PostSubject: Re: Having Fun with Your Hedgehog   Having Fun with Your Hedgehog Icon_minitimeThu Feb 23, 2012 7:03 pm

these are fab posts helen, you've been a busy girl! maybe sticky this? it's good to know what kind of enrichment you can give to your hedgie besides handling xxx
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Having Fun with Your Hedgehog   Having Fun with Your Hedgehog Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Having Fun with Your Hedgehog
Page 1 of 1