Prickly-Critterz Forum
Prickly-Critterz Forum
Prickly-Critterz Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

pygmy rabbits??! xxx

Go down 
+3
Melody
Josie
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Josie

Josie

pygmy rabbits??! xxx Empty
PostSubject: pygmy rabbits??! xxx   pygmy rabbits??! xxx Icon_minitimeSat Feb 25, 2012 11:16 pm

Meet the World's Smallest Rabbit

Columbia Basin Pygmy Rabbits are the world's smallest and among the rarest. Native only to a single area of Washington State, this once isolated population of Pygmy rabbits usually weighs less than a pound in adulthood and was declared extinct in the wild in the '90s, after the remaining 14 bunnies were scooped up and taken into the equivalent of bunny protective custody.

This year the Oregon Zoo welcomed 26 of the little guys, bringing this year's total to 73 baby bunnies (kits) among participating breeding facilities. Color is added to the ears in the pictures below so zoo staff can tell the kits apart.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Unlike most rabbits, the Columbia Basin Pygmy Rabbit did not breed prodigously in captivity, partially due to inbreeding within the tiny wild population. As a result they were cross bred with Idaho Pygmy Rabbits and subsequent breeding efforts have been more successful.

Pygmy rabbits are the only North American rabbits that dig burrows and live in a sagebrush habitat. In the wild, pygmy rabbits eat sagebrush almost exclusively in the winter; during summer, they eat a more varied diet. They may have two to four litters of about two to six kits during the spring and summer breeding seasons. Population decline is widely attributed to predation and habitat loss caused by agricultural development and wildfires.

Back to top Go down
Melody
Admin
Admin
Melody

PostSubject: Re: pygmy rabbits??! xxx   pygmy rabbits??! xxx Icon_minitimeSun Feb 26, 2012 2:13 am

Alls I can say here is..... Aaaaahhhhhh bless...... Sooooo cute and dainty!!

xoxox
Back to top Go down
Josie

Josie

PostSubject: Re: pygmy rabbits??! xxx   pygmy rabbits??! xxx Icon_minitimeSun Feb 26, 2012 9:07 am

they are lovely arent they?! xxx
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: pygmy rabbits??! xxx   pygmy rabbits??! xxx Icon_minitimeSun Feb 26, 2012 9:11 am

Beautiful - utterly stunning.
Back to top Go down
tayer
tayer

PostSubject: Re: pygmy rabbits??! xxx   pygmy rabbits??! xxx Icon_minitimeSun Feb 26, 2012 10:03 am

are these come as pets yet then?? or just a zoo animal in captivity....if you know what i mean??
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/PethauPigioghedgehogs
Sian

Sian

PostSubject: Re: pygmy rabbits??! xxx   pygmy rabbits??! xxx Icon_minitimeSun Feb 26, 2012 10:10 am

cuuuuuute xx
Back to top Go down
Josie

Josie

PostSubject: Re: pygmy rabbits??! xxx   pygmy rabbits??! xxx Icon_minitimeSun Feb 26, 2012 10:19 am

they are endangered i think tayer... but going extinct on their own, a bit like pandas... imagine having a pygmy bunneh! xxx
Back to top Go down
tayer
tayer

PostSubject: Re: pygmy rabbits??! xxx   pygmy rabbits??! xxx Icon_minitimeSun Feb 26, 2012 10:25 am

i like the coloured ear...haha could do that to mine...lol
Back to top Go down
Josie

Josie

PostSubject: Re: pygmy rabbits??! xxx   pygmy rabbits??! xxx Icon_minitimeSun Feb 26, 2012 10:47 am

buster used to do thaat when he went through his punk stage xxx
Back to top Go down
Lou

Lou

PostSubject: Re: pygmy rabbits??! xxx   pygmy rabbits??! xxx Icon_minitimeSun Feb 26, 2012 9:58 pm

I liked the ear too . beautiful wee things .x
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100003745145643&ref=t
tayer
tayer

PostSubject: Re: pygmy rabbits??! xxx   pygmy rabbits??! xxx Icon_minitimeSun Feb 26, 2012 10:00 pm

i coloured my maltese dog with pink felt tip pen once...it looked cool, untill she followed me out the back date down the street where i was meeting the boys,....and they all took the mick.... Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Lou

Lou

PostSubject: Re: pygmy rabbits??! xxx   pygmy rabbits??! xxx Icon_minitimeSun Feb 26, 2012 10:03 pm

lol your a nutter Tayer x
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100003745145643&ref=t
tayer
tayer

PostSubject: Re: pygmy rabbits??! xxx   pygmy rabbits??! xxx Icon_minitimeSun Feb 26, 2012 10:07 pm

they even tease me about it now...Sad poor bubbles...x
Back to top Go down
dovaston
Admin
Admin
dovaston

PostSubject: Re: pygmy rabbits??! xxx   pygmy rabbits??! xxx Icon_minitimeSun Feb 26, 2012 10:36 pm

You are so funny Tayer!!!
My mum told me that when she was young, they had an Old English Sheepdog, her and her brother thought he couldn't see with all that fur over his eyes....they cut his fringe!!!!
Back to top Go down
Josie

Josie

PostSubject: Re: pygmy rabbits??! xxx   pygmy rabbits??! xxx Icon_minitimeSun Feb 26, 2012 10:38 pm

Lmao tayer that is so funny! You always make me laugh xxx
Back to top Go down
tayer
tayer

PostSubject: Re: pygmy rabbits??! xxx   pygmy rabbits??! xxx Icon_minitimeSun Feb 26, 2012 10:52 pm

Big grin
my mum wasnt too happy...
Back to top Go down
Josie

Josie

PostSubject: Re: pygmy rabbits??! xxx   pygmy rabbits??! xxx Icon_minitimeMon Feb 27, 2012 7:32 am

That is such a sweet thing to do tayer Very Happy although if you did it to harry I'd be cross xxx
Back to top Go down
Melody
Admin
Admin
Melody

PostSubject: Re: pygmy rabbits??! xxx   pygmy rabbits??! xxx Icon_minitimeMon Feb 27, 2012 10:17 am

When I was little, we had and Old English Sheepdog called Trogg, she was lovely. We had to cupt her fringe for her too as she just couldn't see. Sometimes I used to stick a bobble in it to keep it out of her eyes! In the summer, we used to get her clipped and she was like a complete brand new dog who used to bounce round like a spring lamb!

xoxox
Back to top Go down
tayer
tayer

PostSubject: Re: pygmy rabbits??! xxx   pygmy rabbits??! xxx Icon_minitimeMon Feb 27, 2012 9:07 pm

they look like puppies again after a good cut...
Back to top Go down

pygmy rabbits??! xxx
Page 1 of 1