Prickly-Critterz Forum
Prickly-Critterz Forum
Prickly-Critterz Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Siting and Safety with heatpads

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Elaine67
Elaine67

Siting and Safety with heatpads Empty
PostSubject: Siting and Safety with heatpads    Siting and Safety with heatpads Icon_minitimeTue Feb 28, 2012 10:21 pm

The title says it all really. I've been reading on the use of heatmats and find that there seems to be quite a range of ideas. Obviously a certain amount of this due to what is being heated - wooden vivarium or plastic Zoozone. In addition there's a wide range of mat sizes to consider which would influence the overall positioning of the mat.

I know that a mat can be taped to the floor or rear wall inside a viv, but what about zoozones? Is it safe to tape a larger mat into place inside a zoozone or should it be outside with the cage raised to allow airflow? How do you stop the hog getting in direct contact with the mat - if you do? What about urine? Is it safe for fluids to come in contact with the mat? Years back I saw - handled the residents of - a couple reptile tanks with mats inside but they had a cover of corrugated plastic (it was flat on top) between the mat and sand substrate. Hoggies don't used sand but would that work under a fleece?

So in a nutshell, where do you put yours - inside or out?

Thanks for the input.

Elaine
Back to top Go down
Lou

Lou

PostSubject: Re: Siting and Safety with heatpads    Siting and Safety with heatpads Icon_minitimeTue Feb 28, 2012 10:25 pm

From my experience more people tape them to the bottom of the zoozone but they can be inserted into the zoozone without being much of a problem the wire sits under the lid . My hoggies do not bother with their heatmats at all .. most of mine are inside my vivs on the floor of the viv .

Last edited by Lou on Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100003745145643&ref=t
Elaine67
Elaine67

PostSubject: Re: Siting and Safety with heatpads    Siting and Safety with heatpads Icon_minitimeTue Feb 28, 2012 10:40 pm

That's good to know Lou.

I have a good fiddle and see what works for me. I just got completely confused from all the reading - if that makes sense, lol!

Thanks
Elaine

Back to top Go down
Lou

Lou

PostSubject: Re: Siting and Safety with heatpads    Siting and Safety with heatpads Icon_minitimeTue Feb 28, 2012 10:41 pm

Your welcome Elaine

I am pleased you are getting something out of the forum .

Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100003745145643&ref=t
Melody
Admin
Admin
Melody

PostSubject: Re: Siting and Safety with heatpads    Siting and Safety with heatpads Icon_minitimeTue Feb 28, 2012 10:53 pm

Hi Elaine... I place the mats underneath my hoggies zoozones. However, the wooden unit one of them was placed on got quite warm and became a tad discoloured over the months, the heat also escaped beneath into the unit, so my Ray cut a piece of melamine for me so that sits on top of the unit, then the heat mat and then tge Zoozone! Hope that makes sense?
xoxox
Back to top Go down
Elaine67
Elaine67

PostSubject: Re: Siting and Safety with heatpads    Siting and Safety with heatpads Icon_minitimeTue Feb 28, 2012 10:54 pm

Lou,
I'm getting a great deal from here. You've taken it beyond a source of sound information and created a lovely, welcoming social group.

Thankyou!
Back to top Go down
Elaine67
Elaine67

PostSubject: Re: Siting and Safety with heatpads    Siting and Safety with heatpads Icon_minitimeTue Feb 28, 2012 11:01 pm

Ah-ha! Gotch Melody!

A good tip to avoid damaging furnature.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Siting and Safety with heatpads    Siting and Safety with heatpads Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Siting and Safety with heatpads
Page 1 of 1