Prickly-Critterz Forum
Prickly-Critterz Forum
Prickly-Critterz Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

snuffles xxx

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Josie

Josie

snuffles xxx Empty
PostSubject: snuffles xxx   snuffles xxx Icon_minitimeFri Mar 02, 2012 5:48 pm

snuffles or pasteurellosis is a respiritory disease found in rabbits. it is very contagious and affects the respiritory system, ears and eyes.

symptoms are... watery eyes, runny nose, sneezing, a "snuffly" breathing sound, wet and stained front paws from cleaning their faces.

untreated it can cause ear infections and head tilt/wry neck or pneumonia

it is treated with antibiotics

xxx

Back to top Go down
Lou

Lou

snuffles xxx Empty
PostSubject: Re: snuffles xxx   snuffles xxx Icon_minitimeFri Mar 02, 2012 6:13 pm

Another great post .... I am going to call you the Rabbit lady .x
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100003745145643&ref=t
Josie

Josie

snuffles xxx Empty
PostSubject: Re: snuffles xxx   snuffles xxx Icon_minitimeFri Mar 02, 2012 6:18 pm

im just looking now to see if it can be spread interspecies between rabbits and hedgehogs... buster and inca are in seperate rooms and obviously i wash my hands after handling them... it's a worry though xxx
Back to top Go down
Lou

Lou

snuffles xxx Empty
PostSubject: Re: snuffles xxx   snuffles xxx Icon_minitimeFri Mar 02, 2012 6:18 pm

Anything you find make sure you post Josie ..x
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100003745145643&ref=t
Josie

Josie

snuffles xxx Empty
PostSubject: Re: snuffles xxx   snuffles xxx Icon_minitimeFri Mar 02, 2012 6:20 pm

of course xxx
Back to top Go down
Josie

Josie

snuffles xxx Empty
PostSubject: Re: snuffles xxx   snuffles xxx Icon_minitimeFri Mar 02, 2012 6:29 pm

an infection of "Pasteurella multocida" is what is termed "snuffles" in rabbits...

found this on aph...

Some respiratory pathogens have included Bordetella bronchiseptica and Pasteurella multocida. Clinical signs may include dyspnea, nasal discharge, and/or sneezing. Predisposing factors for upper and lower respiratory tract infection include sub-optimal environmental temperature, dusty or unsanitary bedding, malnutrition, concurrent disease and other causes of immunocompromise. Signs include nasal discharge, increased respiratory noise, dyspnea, lethargy, inappetence, and sudden death. As in other species, diagnostic testing includes radiographs, hematologic testing, and culture of tracheal or lung lobe aspirates. Treatment should include broad-spectrum antibiotics, supportive fluids, oxygen therapy, and nebulization as needed, and correction of husbandry problems. Trimethoprim-sulfa, enrofloxacin, and oxytetracycline are all good empirical choices for antibiotic therapy.

i havent found anything that says it can be passed to hedgehogs but i am still looking... i feel very bad right now xxx
Back to top Go down
tayer
tayer

snuffles xxx Empty
PostSubject: Re: snuffles xxx   snuffles xxx Icon_minitimeFri Mar 02, 2012 6:35 pm

can it be passed between animals....eg rabbit to hog or hor to rabbit!!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/PethauPigioghedgehogs
Josie

Josie

snuffles xxx Empty
PostSubject: Re: snuffles xxx   snuffles xxx Icon_minitimeFri Mar 02, 2012 6:40 pm

that's what i'm looking for tayer... i'm in a bit of a panic now Sad xxx
Back to top Go down
tayer
tayer

snuffles xxx Empty
PostSubject: Re: snuffles xxx   snuffles xxx Icon_minitimeFri Mar 02, 2012 6:41 pm

im sure inca will be fine josie, but it is interesting.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/PethauPigioghedgehogs

snuffles xxx
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Prickly-Critterz Forum :: Pets Corner :: Small Pets-
Jump to: