Prickly-Critterz Forum
Prickly-Critterz Forum
Prickly-Critterz Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Dumped...

Go down 
+5
Nikki
Leanne
Lou
Botty31
9 posters
AuthorMessage

Dumped...  Empty
PostSubject: Dumped...    Dumped...  Icon_minitimeFri Apr 20, 2012 8:40 am

Thousands of pets being abandoned by heartbroken families as they struggle in the slump

And as financial hardship hits even harder, the signs are that the problem is escalating

Thousands of pets are being dumped by recession-hit families who can no longer ­afford to keep them.

Sanctuaries say they have been swamped as the number of once-cared-for animals ­abandoned in Britain has risen by nearly a THIRD in a year.

Many are simply dumped or left to wander the streets but some are handed over in person by their heartbroken owners... family pets made homeless by the downturn.

And as financial hardship hits even harder, the signs are that the problem is escalating.

“These animals are not unloved or unwanted, they have just become unaffordable,” said ­Mandy Jones, head of the ­rehoming service at the Blue Cross charity, whose 12 ­sanctuaries are caring for more than 1,000 ­animals, with 1,000 more on their waiting lists.

“In hard times it’s hard ­economics – increasing numbers of people are having to give up their pets. For some, but sadly not all, it is an act of devotion.

“They are not wilfully ­neglecting their pet, in fact they are being responsible owners.

“They accept, painful as it is, that they can no long feed or care for the pets they love.”

The Blue Cross charity has seen a 28 per cent ­increase in pets being brought to its centres. It ­believes most are the result of the intense ­pressure on family finances.

Last year 1,991 were handed over, abandoned or found as strays, compared with 1,553 in 2010.

As well as smaller pets, there has also been a surge in ­homeless ­horses. One equine rescue centre in the affluent Cotswolds ­countryside has been full for months, with 50 horses in care and at least 20 on the waiting list for a place there. The cost of keeping a horse has doubled in less than two years, to about £250 a month.

Gemma Taylor, who runs ­Burford Blue Cross’s Equine Centre, described one case of a pony, Molly, which had been left to fend for itself in a ­muddy paddock.

The animal was ­seriously underweight and one eye was so badly ­infected that it had to be removed.

Gemma said: “In the ­beginning she was very ­nervous and wouldn’t be ­handled. You could see all over ribs. She was in a ­terrible state. Now she’s a brave, ­handsome girl. She walks, trots and canters. She’s a brave little pony.”

The RSPCA said that many of its rescue ­centres are full.

A ­spokesman said: “The ­economic slump is having a major impact on ­animals.”At Battersea Dogs and Cats Home, calls for help are ­already 30 per cent up on last year.

The charity, which has three sites in London, Berkshire and Kent, received 630 from dog ­owners and 500 from cat owners in January alone.

It says last year 1,858 dogs and 1,264 cats were given up, often because the ­owners could no longer afford to feed them. That was an increase of 15 per cent from 2010 when 1,601 dogs and 1,104 cats were handed in.

“More and more owners who are losing their jobs, moving to a smaller home or being evicted can’t keep pets,” said intake ­assistant Woody ­Woodford-Price. “It’s desperately sad but they have no ­alternative.”

Helen Lecointe, manager of ­Woodside Sanctuary near Plymouth, added: “We have watched some ­really tragic scenes as owners come to part with pets that they may have cherished for years. I will never forget the sight of one small boy sobbing ­hysterically as his ­parents took his dog away from him to leave it with us.”

She said in another case a middle-aged couple, who were losing their home because they could not afford the mortgage, wept as they left their 10-year-old lurcher at the sanctuary. Helen said: “They planned their ­decision carefully but even so it was a terrible ­moment for them when they had to hand him over.

“They turned around and walked out of the door very quickly without making a fuss about saying ­goodbye.”

She added: “It’s distressing for animals as owners leave because they sense something ­terrible is happening. The ­recession has damaged them too.”

A very sad read x

Back to top Go down
Botty31

Botty31

Dumped...  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dumped...    Dumped...  Icon_minitimeFri Apr 20, 2012 8:48 am

It's very sad, did you watch ' don't blame the dog ' this week it was sad seeing all the dogs in the pound ! We have an RSPCA local to us and we often go to donate a few things and can't help but look around while we are there and really wish I hadn't as its heartbreaking and I want to bring them all home Sad
Back to top Go down

Dumped...  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dumped...    Dumped...  Icon_minitimeFri Apr 20, 2012 8:54 am

Me too - I know that there are genuine reasons for handing your pet over but I found this very sad.
Back to top Go down
Lou

Lou

Dumped...  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dumped...    Dumped...  Icon_minitimeFri Apr 20, 2012 10:41 am

This is such a sad sad read ...

I didn't see that program Jo what channel was it on i will see if i can watch it on catch up .x
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100003745145643&ref=t
Leanne

Leanne

Dumped...  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dumped...    Dumped...  Icon_minitimeFri Apr 20, 2012 11:38 am

It was on bbc three Lou aired 11th April x
Back to top Go down
Nikki
Admin
Admin
Nikki

Dumped...  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dumped...    Dumped...  Icon_minitimeFri Apr 20, 2012 11:52 am

awww this is so sad..don't think i can watch it Sad it must be heartbreaking to give up your pet for what ever reason xx
Back to top Go down
Lou

Lou

Dumped...  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dumped...    Dumped...  Icon_minitimeFri Apr 20, 2012 1:21 pm

Leanne wrote:
It was on bbc three Lou aired 11th April x

Thanks Leanne will see if i can get it on BBC I player .x
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100003745145643&ref=t
tayer
tayer

Dumped...  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dumped...    Dumped...  Icon_minitimeFri Apr 20, 2012 2:11 pm

if i became homeless, my dog would be there with me, if i had a council house who said dog out or lose your house, id look for a new house....rogue is my fury daughter...but she smells, so she needs a bath...lol
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/PethauPigioghedgehogs
Snufflehogs
Admin
Admin
Snufflehogs

Dumped...  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dumped...    Dumped...  Icon_minitimeFri Apr 20, 2012 9:50 pm

Aww, reading that really made me cry. My animals are as much a part of my family as my husband and son. The thought of being seperated from them breaks my heart. Sad
Back to top Go down
http://snufflehogshedgehogs.co.uk
dovaston
Admin
Admin
dovaston

Dumped...  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dumped...    Dumped...  Icon_minitimeFri Apr 20, 2012 10:53 pm

So so sad..xx
Back to top Go down
Melody
Admin