Prickly-Critterz Forum
Prickly-Critterz Forum
Prickly-Critterz Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Viv building

Go down 
+4
anglomaltese
pulpixies
pricklypaws
angel125
8 posters
AuthorMessage
angel125

angel125

Viv building Empty
PostSubject: Viv building   Viv building Icon_minitimeSun Nov 15, 2009 2:56 pm

Can we have an idiots simple guide to how to build a Viv or box.
What wood to use, how to treat it
How it fits together etc
Back to top Go down
pricklypaws

pricklypaws

Viv building Empty
PostSubject: Re: Viv building   Viv building Icon_minitimeSun Nov 15, 2009 6:05 pm

No worries will have a word with the OM about his design, but also I am sure we can find out other ways as well Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.pricklypaws.co.uk
pulpixies

pulpixies

Viv building Empty
PostSubject: Re: Viv building   Viv building Icon_minitimeSun Nov 15, 2009 6:26 pm

i'm happy to share all my measures and any info you may find helpful. altho-i'm certainly not an expert as i've only built one!!.....but maybe i should post a pic so you can see what u think first! lol!
Back to top Go down
pricklypaws

pricklypaws

Viv building Empty
PostSubject: Re: Viv building   Viv building Icon_minitimeSun Nov 15, 2009 6:33 pm

Think you should post a piccie anyway Very Happy just so we can be nosey lol!
Back to top Go down
pulpixies

pulpixies

Viv building Empty
PostSubject: Re: Viv building   Viv building Icon_minitimeSun Nov 15, 2009 7:47 pm

Here are some pics of it so far. As you can see, i still need to attach the mesh to the door and latches to keep the door closed. i also need to put the background pic in but as far as the basic structure goes-it's finished. i'm also thinking of adding a second story inside it. it looks really small-but i assure you it's not!! lol!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

With door open:

Back to top Go down
pulpixies

pulpixies

Viv building Empty
PostSubject: Re: Viv building   Viv building Icon_minitimeSun Nov 15, 2009 8:00 pm

here's the measurements i used.. i hope it's clear-i made this to take to B&Q. i got all these pieces cut from 3 pieces of contiboard (2= 2000mmx450mm and 1= 2000mmx150mm). the reason i chose the viv to be 450mm deep and high was because that was big enough and it made it easier to cut out of the contiboard. also, with this height, i can put in a second level, which will give even more floor space. the thickness of the contiboard is 18mm (as indicated in this drawing). so, to make the door flush with the front, I calculated it by: 450-18=423. 450 because the top and bottom were that deep and i wanted the door to line up with that. i chose the door measurements at random. I used rapidscrews to screw together all the contiboard except the door pieces-i used L-shaped things on the inside of the door (where the mesh will be and also the back of the door-you can kind of see them in the pics. we tried to use screws for that as well but they were so big that they started to split the contiboard. i hope that is helpful!

Back to top Go down
pulpixies

pulpixies

Viv building Empty
PostSubject: Re: Viv building   Viv building Icon_minitimeSun Nov 15, 2009 9:06 pm

do people think it looks like an ok hedgie home?
Back to top Go down
pulpixies

pulpixies

Viv building Empty
PostSubject: Re: Viv building   Viv building Icon_minitimeTue Nov 17, 2009 7:35 am

That would be really helpful Charlie. I went to Homebase yesterday to try to get the things to make a second level but got too confused so didn't end up getting anything! lol!
Back to top Go down
angel125

angel125

Viv building Empty
PostSubject: Re: Viv building   Viv building Icon_minitimeThu Nov 19, 2009 11:56 pm

What is Contiboard made from?
Thanks for putting this up
Back to top Go down
pulpixies

pulpixies

Viv building Empty
PostSubject: Re: Viv building   Viv building Icon_minitimeFri Nov 20, 2009 10:23 am

not entirely sure but i think it's chipboard on the inside? with a hard, waterproof(i think) outer layer. contiboard has a website with useful info on it (especially in their FAQ section) which you should be able to get to by googling it Very Happy
Back to top Go down
pricklypaws

pricklypaws

Viv building Empty
PostSubject: Re: Viv building   Viv building Icon_minitimeFri Nov 20, 2009 2:52 pm

Dunno what its made from, but my viv is built from it and its really good Smile
Back to top Go down
anglomaltese

anglomaltese

Viv building Empty
PostSubject: Re: Viv building   Viv building Icon_minitimeSun Nov 22, 2009 12:51 am

It's chipboard grin I'm in the process of building my viv, and am still cutting wood - I thought chipboard would be easier, but i've already sliced my hand 7 times with the saw! frown
Back to top Go down
Hayley

Viv building Empty
PostSubject: Re: Viv building   Viv building Icon_minitimeWed Jun 09, 2010 4:55 pm

pulpixies wrote:
here's the measurements i used.. i hope it's clear-i made this to take to B&Q. i got all these pieces cut from 3 pieces of contiboard (2= 2000mmx450mm and 1= 2000mmx150mm). the reason i chose the viv to be 450mm deep and high was because that was big enough and it made it easier to cut out of the contiboard. also, with this height, i can put in a second level, which will give even more floor space. the thickness of the contiboard is 18mm (as indicated in this drawing). so, to make the door flush with the front, I calculated it by: 450-18=423. 450 because the top and bottom were that deep and i wanted the door to line up with that. i chose the door measurements at random. I used rapidscrews to screw together all the contiboard except the door pieces-i used L-shaped things on the inside of the door (where the mesh will be and also the back of the door-you can kind of see them in the pics. we tried to use screws for that as well but they were so big that they started to split the contiboard. i hope that is helpful!

I love the design of this....makes me believe I really can build this! Even went into homebase to have a look at contiboard and saw some cute handles for the doors lol...

Just a question, have you got any pictures of this now with the mesh on and how easy was it to attach the mesh? I've read people staple...but staple guns are quite expensive...
Back to top Go down
HuffyHoglet

HuffyHoglet

Viv building Empty
PostSubject: Re: Viv building   Viv building Icon_minitimeSun Oct 28, 2012 4:24 pm

How much did it cost to build?
Back to top Go down
Lou

Lou

Viv building Empty
PostSubject: Re: Viv building   Viv building Icon_minitimeSun Oct 28, 2012 4:30 pm

This post is over 3 years old its probably chepaer to buy one that is already made .x
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100003745145643&ref=t
tayer
tayer

Viv building Empty
PostSubject: Re: Viv building   Viv building Icon_minitimeSun Oct 28, 2012 5:04 pm

i did look into it, and it was cheaper to buy...
in was the glass thats more expensive....unless you use fly mesh...which doesnt look nice...
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/PethauPigioghedgehogs
Sponsored content

Viv building Empty
PostSubject: Re: Viv building   Viv building Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Viv building
Page 1 of 1