Prickly-Critterz Forum
Prickly-Critterz Forum
Prickly-Critterz Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Two headed snake

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Lou

Lou

Two headed snake  Empty
PostSubject: Two headed snake    Two headed snake  Icon_minitimeThu Jun 14, 2012 8:59 pm

A two headed snake!

An albino California King Snake with two heads went on display last year at a zoo in Ukraine. The two heads act independently of one another, and have even been known to fight over food (the keepers puts a barrier between the two heads at feeding time now). One head is noticeably dominant to the other.

The condition is known as Polycephaly and occurs when monozygotic twins fail to separate completely.Most organisms with this condition will not live for long, but occasionally you will get cases like this one, where the snake(s?) seem healthy enough and can live for years.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100003745145643&ref=t

Two headed snake  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Two headed snake    Two headed snake  Icon_minitimeThu Jun 14, 2012 9:15 pm

Yuck - freak of nature it may be but a two headed snake gives me the shivvers!
Back to top Go down
Lou

Lou

Two headed snake  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Two headed snake    Two headed snake  Icon_minitimeThu Jun 14, 2012 9:17 pm

I think its amazing .x
Back to top Go down

Two headed snake  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Two headed snake    Two headed snake  Icon_minitimeThu Jun 14, 2012 9:18 pm

Oi woman - have you checked your phone or are you ignoring me!
Back to top Go down
Lou

Lou

Two headed snake  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Two headed snake    Two headed snake  Icon_minitimeThu Jun 14, 2012 9:18 pm

its on charge Helen in the kitchen hang on i will go get it x
Back to top Go down

Two headed snake  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Two headed snake    Two headed snake  Icon_minitimeThu Jun 14, 2012 9:19 pm

So you should - something to make you smile x
Back to top Go down
Lou

Lou

Two headed snake  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Two headed snake    Two headed snake  Icon_minitimeThu Jun 14, 2012 9:21 pm

BBM you back ... bird .x
Back to top Go down
fionac
Rescue Committee/Carer
Rescue Committee/Carer
fionac

Two headed snake  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Two headed snake    Two headed snake  Icon_minitimeSat Jun 23, 2012 11:29 pm

wow, that's really fascinating. I wonder how long it will live for then. SO strange.
Back to top Go down
Lou

Lou

Two headed snake  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Two headed snake    Two headed snake  Icon_minitimeSun Jun 24, 2012 10:09 am

I have seen a couple of them Fiona so im not sure if it is as rare as we think .

Two-headed snakes do not have a long life expectancy, particularly in the wild. Each head has a brain and, usually, some control over the shared body, and the two cannot communicate with each other. Movement is therefore difficult, as each head may try to travel in a different direction, and in the worst case scenario, the heads may fight or try to eat each other.

Some two-headed snakes share a stomach, while others have a stomach for each head. In a two-headed snake with separate stomachs, one of the heads may die if it routinely loses fights over food. Even if there is only one stomach, two-headed snakes may not be able to capture prey if the heads are competing for food.

Little more info for you Fiona .x
Back to top Go down

Two headed snake  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Two headed snake    Two headed snake  Icon_minitimeSun Jun 24, 2012 10:17 am

Thanks, this is really interesting.
Back to top Go down
fionac
Rescue Committee/Carer
Rescue Committee/Carer
fionac

Two headed snake  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Two headed snake    Two headed snake  Icon_minitimeSun Jun 24, 2012 10:21 am

Wow. That's really fascinating. I guess you'd usually expect one brain to control everything, so having 2 must confuse things, as they must surey conflict. Nature is such a fascinating thing. :)x
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Two headed snake  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Two headed snake    Two headed snake  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Two headed snake
Page 1 of 1