Prickly-Critterz Forum
Prickly-Critterz Forum
Prickly-Critterz Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Gateshead Charity Arts Group Uses Chickens To Help Dementia Sufferers

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage

Gateshead Charity Arts Group Uses Chickens To Help Dementia Sufferers  Empty
PostSubject: Gateshead Charity Arts Group Uses Chickens To Help Dementia Sufferers    Gateshead Charity Arts Group Uses Chickens To Help Dementia Sufferers  Icon_minitimeMon Jul 02, 2012 10:02 am

A charity arts group from Gateshead is using chickens to help brighten up the lives of dementia suffers at a care home in Birtley.

Equal Arts has introduced five chickens of different breeds to the Shadon House care home, which is run by Gateshead Council.

People suffering from dementia are helping with a range of tasks including feeding the chickens and collecting their eggs.

The activities will help keep residents both mentally and physically stimulated which is an important part of delaying the effects of the disease.

The arts group have also used the chicken theme to inspire other creative work with the group, including painting images of chickens for a mural to display by the coop.

The idea was initially developed to help a couple living in Sandon House - who used to keep chickens - maintain a connection with their former life.

Staff at the care home said it had also helped some residents deal with having to leave their own pets behind when they entered the home.

The arts group has secured funding to continue the project in Gateshead, which will include the building of custom made chicken coops at Sandon House.

Back to top Go down
dovaston
Admin
Admin
dovaston

PostSubject: Re: Gateshead Charity Arts Group Uses Chickens To Help Dementia Sufferers    Gateshead Charity Arts Group Uses Chickens To Help Dementia Sufferers  Icon_minitimeMon Jul 02, 2012 11:23 am

Dora!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Lou

Lou

PostSubject: Re: Gateshead Charity Arts Group Uses Chickens To Help Dementia Sufferers    Gateshead Charity Arts Group Uses Chickens To Help Dementia Sufferers  Icon_minitimeMon Jul 02, 2012 12:21 pm

I found this really interesting Helen as my field is Dementia , its very difficult to stimulate peole with advanced Dementia ..there behaviour can seem very child like . I have showed the pictures of my hoggies and they are interested so will be taking The Humohrey and Murphy in the near future .x
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100003745145643&ref=t
Snufflehogs
Admin
Admin
Snufflehogs

PostSubject: Re: Gateshead Charity Arts Group Uses Chickens To Help Dementia Sufferers    Gateshead Charity Arts Group Uses Chickens To Help Dementia Sufferers  Icon_minitimeMon Jul 02, 2012 2:14 pm

I love chickens! This is a great idea. It's been proven over and over again that animals and music are very good for dementia sufferers. My sister in law is a mental health nurse and she's worked with dementia patients a lot. She's always trying to persuade them to allow animals in! x
Back to top Go down
http://snufflehogshedgehogs.co.uk
Lou

Lou

PostSubject: Re: Gateshead Charity Arts Group Uses Chickens To Help Dementia Sufferers    Gateshead Charity Arts Group Uses Chickens To Help Dementia Sufferers  Icon_minitimeMon Jul 02, 2012 2:24 pm

Im not sure my boss would allow them in our nice garden but can ask lol .x
Back to top Go down
dovaston
Admin
Admin
dovaston

PostSubject: Re: Gateshead Charity Arts Group Uses Chickens To Help Dementia Sufferers    Gateshead Charity Arts Group Uses Chickens To Help Dementia Sufferers  Icon_minitimeMon Jul 02, 2012 7:57 pm

The home over my wall....has a visiting 'farm'....sheep...goats etc....I think they come about once a year.....
Back to top Go down
Lou

Lou

PostSubject: Re: Gateshead Charity Arts Group Uses Chickens To Help Dementia Sufferers    Gateshead Charity Arts Group Uses Chickens To Help Dementia Sufferers  Icon_minitimeMon Jul 02, 2012 8:16 pm

Don't suppose you could go and ask them who they have Sheeley .. ??? you could always have a look around while your there lmao .x

I could call them see if they will come to us .x
Back to top Go down
dovaston
Admin
Admin
dovaston

PostSubject: Re: Gateshead Charity Arts Group Uses Chickens To Help Dementia Sufferers    Gateshead Charity Arts Group Uses Chickens To Help Dementia Sufferers  Icon_minitimeMon Jul 02, 2012 10:30 pm

Very funny....!!!!
Back to top Go down
Lou

Lou

PostSubject: Re: Gateshead Charity Arts Group Uses Chickens To Help Dementia Sufferers    Gateshead Charity Arts Group Uses Chickens To Help Dementia Sufferers  Icon_minitimeTue Jul 03, 2012 6:23 am

Funny i no but can you please or get me the name of the home so i can call them .x
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Gateshead Charity Arts Group Uses Chickens To Help Dementia Sufferers    Gateshead Charity Arts Group Uses Chickens To Help Dementia Sufferers  Icon_minitimeTue Jul 03, 2012 8:33 am

I thought it was!
Back to top Go down
Lou

Lou

PostSubject: Re: Gateshead Charity Arts Group Uses Chickens To Help Dementia Sufferers    Gateshead Charity Arts Group Uses Chickens To Help Dementia Sufferers  Icon_minitimeTue Jul 03, 2012 5:01 pm

I thought it was funny too .x
Back to top Go down
Gaga

Gaga

PostSubject: Re: Gateshead Charity Arts Group Uses Chickens To Help Dementia Sufferers    Gateshead Charity Arts Group Uses Chickens To Help Dementia Sufferers  Icon_minitimeTue Jul 03, 2012 5:05 pm

omg think i just got it!! haha!! that took a while... Laughing
Back to top Go down
Lou

Lou

PostSubject: Re: Gateshead Charity Arts Group Uses Chickens To Help Dementia Sufferers    Gateshead Charity Arts Group Uses Chickens To Help Dementia Sufferers  Icon_minitimeTue Jul 03, 2012 5:07 pm

lol funny though right Jake ?
Back to top Go down
Gaga

Gaga

PostSubject: Re: Gateshead Charity Arts Group Uses Chickens To Help Dementia Sufferers    Gateshead Charity Arts Group Uses Chickens To Help Dementia Sufferers  Icon_minitimeTue Jul 03, 2012 5:16 pm

yes very funny hee hee!! laugh xx
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gateshead Charity Arts Group Uses Chickens To Help Dementia Sufferers    Gateshead Charity Arts Group Uses Chickens To Help Dementia Sufferers  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Gateshead Charity Arts Group Uses Chickens To Help Dementia Sufferers
Page 1 of 1