Prickly-Critterz Forum
Prickly-Critterz Forum
Prickly-Critterz Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

I have Disturbed a Mothers Nest - What should I do??

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage

I have Disturbed a Mothers Nest - What should I do?? Empty
PostSubject: I have Disturbed a Mothers Nest - What should I do??   I have Disturbed a Mothers Nest - What should I do?? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 06, 2012 2:45 pm

Mothers with hoglets can be very unpredictable. Some will turn on their young and kill them; others will move them to a new nest. If the nest has only just been slightly disturbed mum may continue to live in the nest with the hoglets or she may move into a new nest, returning at night to suckle the hoglets and then over a period of several days move the hoglets to the new nest. To check whether she is returning place a small twig or leaf over the nest entrance so she will have to brush it aside as she comes and goes. This will tell you the nest is being visited. Do not keep disturbing the nest and do not search for the new one as this causes further disturbance and stress to the mother. Provide water and a dish of meat based dog or cat food nearby so she can spend more time suckling her young rather than searching for food. If it does not appear that mum is returning then the hoglets should be rescued. This is also the case if they are heard squeaking or coming out of the nest. If the garden has been "made over" and the hedgehog’s habitat destroyed than it may be that the nest and family will need to be relocated. If this is the case do catch the mother before you catch the hoglets – she is the more likely one to do a runner and not return. Place them together in a high-sided box – otherwise mum may escape – and contact the British Hedgehog Preservation Society for a local hedgehog rehabilitator. There are so many scenarios that it is best to contact someone for advice before you take action unless it is obvious that the nest will need to be relocated in which case catch the mother before she runs away.
Back to top Go down
Gaga

Gaga

I have Disturbed a Mothers Nest - What should I do?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: I have Disturbed a Mothers Nest - What should I do??   I have Disturbed a Mothers Nest - What should I do?? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 06, 2012 2:53 pm

all these posts are very informative, thankyou helen xx
Back to top Go down

I have Disturbed a Mothers Nest - What should I do??
Page 1 of 1