Prickly-Critterz Forum
Prickly-Critterz Forum
Prickly-Critterz Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Getting Hedgehogs Tame by Pat Morris

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage

Getting Hedgehogs Tame by  Pat Morris Empty
PostSubject: Getting Hedgehogs Tame by Pat Morris   Getting Hedgehogs Tame by  Pat Morris Icon_minitimeFri Aug 03, 2012 1:45 pm

Some hedgehogs are unco-operative and that's that. However, others will become very tame indeed, especially those that have been reared by hand from an early age. They will then not roll up or 'bristle' and will allow at least their owners to tickle their tummies and turn them upside down, feet in the air, things that normally meet with severe hedgehog disapproval. I know one animal (Georgie, star of a BBC - TV film) who would come out of her nest box when called by name, but another (Emily, who had also been hand reared) who often bit me.

There is so much individuality among hedgehogs that one cannot generalize and say 'this is right' or 'this is wrong'. However, as a rule, sudden noises and clumsy handling are the two things most likely to upset hedgehogs. They normally don't like bright lights either. Regular handling is helpful, but gentle. Avoid sudden movements and touching their faces. Handling when they are fed is a good idea; they then associate you with food. The next step is to reward good behaviour with some favourite morsel, the problem being that hedgehogs' tastes differ. Georgie loved salted peanuts, Emily liked milk, others are eager for mealworms while some won't bother with them.
Back to top Go down
Melody
Admin
Admin
Melody

PostSubject: Re: Getting Hedgehogs Tame by Pat Morris   Getting Hedgehogs Tame by  Pat Morris Icon_minitimeFri Aug 03, 2012 2:01 pm

I wouldn't have though you could give them peanuts, especially salted ones. Is this from your book about wildies Helen or APH?

xoxox
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Getting Hedgehogs Tame by Pat Morris   Getting Hedgehogs Tame by  Pat Morris Icon_minitimeFri Aug 03, 2012 2:25 pm

You can give them peanuts - not salted though - and yes, this is my new wildie book which is why I am posting them in here!!

There are some eye opening bits in it to be honest - trying to do the smaller bits then go onto the other bits as I go along
Back to top Go down
Melody
Admin
Admin
Melody

PostSubject: Re: Getting Hedgehogs Tame by Pat Morris   Getting Hedgehogs Tame by  Pat Morris Icon_minitimeFri Aug 03, 2012 2:49 pm

Oooof! Of course.... see... the dimnesss is shining through!

xoxox
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Getting Hedgehogs Tame by Pat Morris   Getting Hedgehogs Tame by  Pat Morris Icon_minitimeFri Aug 03, 2012 4:08 pm

Dazzling Mel - Dazzling!!
Back to top Go down
horsy

horsy

PostSubject: Re: Getting Hedgehogs Tame by Pat Morris   Getting Hedgehogs Tame by  Pat Morris Icon_minitimeFri Aug 03, 2012 6:57 pm

wildes lol good advice for newbies like me with felix he just likes his own way or no way , but is better at night pokey
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Getting Hedgehogs Tame by Pat Morris   Getting Hedgehogs Tame by  Pat Morris Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Getting Hedgehogs Tame by Pat Morris
Page 1 of 1