Prickly-Critterz Forum
Prickly-Critterz Forum
Prickly-Critterz Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Use of Markers on Released Hedgehogs

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage

Use of Markers on Released Hedgehogs Empty
PostSubject: Use of Markers on Released Hedgehogs   Use of Markers on Released Hedgehogs Icon_minitimeMon Aug 06, 2012 10:19 am

A study by biologists at Oxford University found that wild hedgehogs moved from their home area often dispersed after release, travelling up to 2 miles (3.6km), crossing main roads and even swimming across the River Thames.

Radio-tracking studies show that released hedgehogs cope surprisingly well, and at least a third can expect to survive more than two months after release. Two months is long enough to reveal whether the animals starve to death, but radio tracking for longer is difficult, making it hard to tell how long the animals might survive after than. Some released hedgehogs disperse over long distances and it is difficult to find where they are have.

To address these problems, some weatherproof PVC tags were made, each bearing and identification number and a request to notify a telephone number. Tags were glued to hedgehogs using 'Araldite' just days before they were let go. During the summer and autumn of 1998, telephone calls reported 11 tagged hedgehogs seen by members of the public. These people were put in touch with those who released the hedgehogs, who were very pleased to hear that their animals had succeeded in adjusting to life after release.

The hedgehogs reported were mostly alive and well, but two were found dead. One was beside a busy main road, the other was killed by a badger. Five (out of 11) animals had dispersed more than 1.8 miles (3km) including one that was reported from 10 miles (15km) away, although it may have been misidentified. Dispersals involved crossing major roads and at least one river.

In Jersey, 1,000 rehabilitated hedgehogs were fitted with numbered ear tags before being released. Most were not seen again, but 150 of them were recovered later. Of these 47 (31%) had survived more than one year after release, 11 (7%) lived more than 3 years and one 5 years. These survival rates are similar to those found in normal wild hedgehog populations, so rehabilitation was completely successful. Animals that would mostly have died from sickness of injury had been a second change at living and succeeded.

Back to top Go down
Lou

Lou

Use of Markers on Released Hedgehogs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Use of Markers on Released Hedgehogs   Use of Markers on Released Hedgehogs Icon_minitimeMon Aug 06, 2012 11:09 am

I wish I had marked lucky Ludo I'm sure they are his babies in the garden .
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100003745145643&ref=t

Use of Markers on Released Hedgehogs
Page 1 of 1