Prickly-Critterz Forum
Prickly-Critterz Forum
Prickly-Critterz Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Working with Abused, Frightened or Neglected Hedgehogs

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage

Working with Abused, Frightened or Neglected Hedgehogs Empty
PostSubject: Working with Abused, Frightened or Neglected Hedgehogs   Working with Abused, Frightened or Neglected Hedgehogs Icon_minitimeThu Oct 04, 2012 4:08 pm

Ideally, a few days of quiet handling is all that is necessary to help your pet adjust to both you and its new home. If, however, you are working with a hedgehog that has been neglected, abused or is very timid, you will find that additional measures must be taken to provide a low-stress experience for the animal. Readers working in animal shelters or other rescue situations are encouraged to read the book The Natural Hedgehog (see chapter 13, "Rescources") for a full range of techniques for dealing with neglected or abused hedgehogs.

The first and most important thing when dealing with a frightened or timid hedgehog is that you must be calm and relaxed when you are handling the hedgehog. Slow deep breaths and soft music can help provide a relaxed environment. You need to be able to ignore pressures and deadlines and ringing phones because gaining the hedgehog's trust can take a long time. Hedgehogs respond negatively when their owners are stressed.

Some hedgehogs will relax quickly, others may take days or even weeks of quiet handling before they become comfortable enough to venture out of a ball. Signs that the animal is beginning to relax are when it comes out of the balled position and begins to sniff at its surroundings. At this point, the hedgehog should begin to explore your lap cautiously. Once the pet is comfortable with you, begin to gently stroke the quills beginning at the rump and gradually move closer to the face. Be gentle but persistent. If the hedgehog cannot tolerate stroking, set it on your arm near the crook of your elbow and again wait for its hissing to stop. Gently scoop it up and move it to a new position. If necessary, pause for the animal to relax again. As the hedgehogs learns to trust you and accept handling, gradually increase the amount of contact.

Side Note

Have tracked the book down and ordered a copy - a useful read for us all I think
Back to top Go down
Lou

Lou

PostSubject: Re: Working with Abused, Frightened or Neglected Hedgehogs   Working with Abused, Frightened or Neglected Hedgehogs Icon_minitimeThu Oct 04, 2012 4:32 pm

Looks like it will be interesting read ..x
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100003745145643&ref=t
Snufflehogs
Admin
Admin
Snufflehogs

PostSubject: Re: Working with Abused, Frightened or Neglected Hedgehogs   Working with Abused, Frightened or Neglected Hedgehogs Icon_minitimeThu Oct 04, 2012 8:18 pm

Will definitely a good read - esp to new comers like me. I'll see if I can pick up a copy for reference. x
Back to top Go down
http://snufflehogshedgehogs.co.uk
Snufflehogs
Admin
Admin
Snufflehogs

PostSubject: Re: Working with Abused, Frightened or Neglected Hedgehogs   Working with Abused, Frightened or Neglected Hedgehogs Icon_minitimeThu Oct 04, 2012 8:25 pm

Is it by Lenni Sykes and Jayne Durrant? If so I've found it on ebay! x
Back to top Go down
Lou

Lou

PostSubject: Re: Working with Abused, Frightened or Neglected Hedgehogs   Working with Abused, Frightened or Neglected Hedgehogs Icon_minitimeFri Oct 05, 2012 6:14 am

I dont no ... Mel but im sue Helen will let us no .x
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100003745145643&ref=t

PostSubject: Re: Working with Abused, Frightened or Neglected Hedgehogs   Working with Abused, Frightened or Neglected Hedgehogs Icon_minitimeFri Oct 05, 2012 8:20 am

That's the one Mel - I got it on Amazon x
Back to top Go down
Snufflehogs
Admin
Admin
Snufflehogs

PostSubject: Re: Working with Abused, Frightened or Neglected Hedgehogs   Working with Abused, Frightened or Neglected Hedgehogs Icon_minitimeFri Oct 05, 2012 1:36 pm

Fab! Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Working with Abused, Frightened or Neglected Hedgehogs   Working with Abused, Frightened or Neglected Hedgehogs Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Working with Abused, Frightened or Neglected Hedgehogs
Page 1 of 1