Prickly-Critterz Forum
Prickly-Critterz Forum
Prickly-Critterz Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Brian May's plan to raise millions for badger vaccination

Go down 
+3
Gaga
Lou
7 posters
AuthorMessage

Brian May's plan to raise millions for badger vaccination Empty
PostSubject: Brian May's plan to raise millions for badger vaccination   Brian May's plan to raise millions for badger vaccination Icon_minitimeThu Feb 14, 2013 12:39 pm

Brian May has pledged to raise millions of pounds to vaccinate badgers facing a government cull after claiming the animals deserve respect because they have the ‘same complex family structure as humans.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

The former guitarist with Queen said the Government's "bloody" campaign to kill thousands of badgers this summer will not stop the spread of cattle disease bovine tuberculosis (TB) and make farmers "public enemy number one".

Instead he has formed an alliance called 'Team Badger' between his own organisation Save Me and other animal rights groups, including the RSPCA, to vaccinate badgers against disease.

The Badger Vaccination Initiative could cost more than £20 million to catch and inject all the badgers in the proposed cull areas.
Mr May, who says humans need to start respecting badgers and other creatures who live alongside us, said the money will be raised from the public.

"What we need is a healthy population of badgers," he said. "We have a new initiative to vaccinate badgers to make sure they are healthy and take that component of TB away."

The Department for the Environment Food and Rural Affairs is set to announce two pilot areas to cull badgers this summer.

At least 5,000 badgers will be killed in the two areas, most likely in Somerset and Gloucestershire, to stop the animals spreading bovine TB.

Badger vaccination has to be done by trapping and injection. An oral vaccine or a vaccin for cattle is not yet available.

Mr May, who has just bought 115 acres as a "sanctuary for wildlife" in Dorset, insisted culling will make the problem worse by chasing badgers into new uninfected areas.

He said vaccination was a much better way of getting rid of the disease in wildlife and ensuring infected animals do not move in, as badgers are territorial with "complex family structures".

"All the science points to the fact that culling will not solve the problem and may make it worse.

"The badgers are not the cause obviously they are not, the cause is farming and farming has infected the wildlife population.

"If you have a healthy population of badgers, you have healthy herds of cattle and infection will be kept away."

However Adam Quinney, vice President of the NFU, said vaccination was not only ineffective in the short term but extremely expensive.
He said it could cost as much as £5,000 per badger to maintain a vaccination programme over five years, as opposed to £25 per badger to cull.

Mr Quinney said vaccination is a good idea in areas where there is no bovine TB, and this is something farmers are promoting to stop the further spread of the disease.

But a cull is a much quicker way to get rid of the disease in areas where up to one in five animals are infected and farmers are having to deal with the stress of constant re-infection.

"There are no proven cases anywhere where vaccination has caused a reduction in the rate of infection in cattle. But there is evidence that a badger cull will reduce the effect of TB in cattle," Mr Quinney added.

John Redman, a Somerset farmer, said vaccination will not stop infected badgers from re-infecting herds. He is in favour of targetting animals that are sick, not a widespread cull.

Mr Redman, who recently had to put down 12 of his cows, blames an explosion in the badger population for spreading disease.

On top of losing his cattle, he had to pay for a vet to come because Defra would not pay for the cattle to be tranquilised - even though they would see others being shot in front of them.

“I feel angry. These badger people do not know what it is like. They do not know the stress bovine TB causes.”

A spokesman for People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) said going vegan, as well as vaccination will help.

"While anyone with a grain of sense will support a vaccination programme over a killing spree, the real and most humane solution is to attack the root cause of the problem and stop buying beef burgers and joints of meat."
Back to top Go down
Lou

Lou

PostSubject: Re: Brian May's plan to raise millions for badger vaccination   Brian May's plan to raise millions for badger vaccination Icon_minitimeThu Feb 14, 2013 12:42 pm

He does a lot for our wilde life doesnt he ?
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100003745145643&ref=t

PostSubject: Re: Brian May's plan to raise millions for badger vaccination   Brian May's plan to raise millions for badger vaccination Icon_minitimeThu Feb 14, 2013 12:42 pm

He most certainly does x
Back to top Go down
Gaga

Gaga

PostSubject: Re: Brian May's plan to raise millions for badger vaccination   Brian May's plan to raise millions for badger vaccination Icon_minitimeThu Feb 14, 2013 12:44 pm

that is fantastic, hope it works, badgers are beautiful xx
Back to top Go down
horsy

horsy

PostSubject: Re: Brian May's plan to raise millions for badger vaccination   Brian May's plan to raise millions for badger vaccination Icon_minitimeThu Feb 14, 2013 12:51 pm

Top guy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
fionac
Rescue Committee/Carer
Rescue Committee/Carer
fionac

PostSubject: Re: Brian May's plan to raise millions for badger vaccination   Brian May's plan to raise millions for badger vaccination Icon_minitimeSat Feb 16, 2013 1:42 pm

shame he had to close his 'save me' facebook site after he had so many nasty comments from posh idiots. Really glad he reopened it again, after he took some time out away from it. He's a great champion for wildlife.x
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Brian May's plan to raise millions for badger vaccination   Brian May's plan to raise millions for badger vaccination Icon_minitimeSat Feb 16, 2013 2:39 pm

Posh idiots remind me of the Warrington Horse Show Fundraiser we did - Nikki had to remove the mallet from my hand!
Back to top Go down
fionac
Rescue Committee/Carer
Rescue Committee/Carer
fionac

PostSubject: Re: Brian May's plan to raise millions for badger vaccination   Brian May's plan to raise millions for badger vaccination Icon_minitimeSat Feb 16, 2013 3:09 pm

I'd have been joining you. Do hate posh idiots! Always remember this posh old woman coming up to me when I worked in the camera shop. She point blank refused to believe I could help her and insisted on speaking to one of the men in the shop! I got so annoyed. Nowadyas I'd have just said fine, whatever, but I was so annoyed then, it was my first proper job, and I knew exactly how to help her...she only needed her camera battery changing silly old bat, but she insisted only one of the men could help her. She was one of those posh old people. haha, maybe she just fancied the lads. haha.
Had another one at work on thursday. I was up on the scissor lift cleaning the frame of a painting. I heard this posh voice shouting at me. I looked down and asked what she was asking, and she asked how often we did this. So i began to explain, how we go around each site etc, and she just kept shouting 'how often?' 'how often?' 'how often?' I felt like coming down there and punching her and saying 'THAT'S HOW OFTEN!!!'
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Brian May's plan to raise millions for badger vaccination   Brian May's plan to raise millions for badger vaccination Icon_minitimeSat Feb 16, 2013 3:27 pm

I feel your pain and that bloke at the show would have felt my mallet if Nikki hadn't removed it from my grasp - rude person that he was x
Back to top Go down
fionac
Rescue Committee/Carer
Rescue Committee/Carer
fionac

PostSubject: Re: Brian May's plan to raise millions for badger vaccination   Brian May's plan to raise millions for badger vaccination Icon_minitimeSat Feb 16, 2013 3:49 pm

Urgh, hate the lot of them! First against the wall come the revolution!!! x
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Brian May's plan to raise millions for badger vaccination   Brian May's plan to raise millions for badger vaccination Icon_minitimeSat Feb 16, 2013 4:30 pm

Too right!
Back to top Go down
Snufflehogs
Admin
Admin
Snufflehogs

PostSubject: Re: Brian May's plan to raise millions for badger vaccination   Brian May's plan to raise millions for badger vaccination Icon_minitimeSat Feb 16, 2013 8:40 pm

Posh folks are from a different planet - well that sort are if you ask me. Brian May, however, is one of my all time hero's!!! I heart Mr May! x Smile
Back to top Go down
http://snufflehogshedgehogs.co.uk
fionac
Rescue Committee/Carer
Rescue Committee/Carer
fionac

PostSubject: Re: Brian May's plan to raise millions for badger vaccination   Brian May's plan to raise millions for badger vaccination Icon_minitimeSat Feb 16, 2013 9:33 pm

Someone should blow up that planet! Smile x
Back to top Go down
hoggyhugs

PostSubject: Re: Brian May's plan to raise millions for badger vaccination   Brian May's plan to raise millions for badger vaccination Icon_minitimeSun Feb 17, 2013 2:44 pm

I hate posh people too and even more if they are rich, which they usually are.

Well cone Brian, what a wonderful person.

Hugs

Jo xx
Back to top Go down
fionac
Rescue Committee/Carer
Rescue Committee/Carer
fionac

PostSubject: Re: Brian May's plan to raise millions for badger vaccination   Brian May's plan to raise millions for badger vaccination Icon_minitimeSun Feb 17, 2013 2:46 pm

....come the revolution Jo!!! Wink Very Happy x
Back to top Go down
hoggyhugs

PostSubject: Re: Brian May's plan to raise millions for badger vaccination   Brian May's plan to raise millions for badger vaccination Icon_minitimeSun Feb 17, 2013 2:49 pm

Wey hey!!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Brian May's plan to raise millions for badger vaccination   Brian May's plan to raise millions for badger vaccination Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Brian May's plan to raise millions for badger vaccination
Page 1 of 1