Prickly-Critterz Forum
Prickly-Critterz Forum
Prickly-Critterz Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Penny

Go down 
+10
fionac
Gaga
horsy
alison
gems
Leanne
tayer
Lou
Melody
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Melody
Admin
Admin
Melody

Penny Empty
PostSubject: Penny   Penny Icon_minitimeFri Feb 22, 2013 11:36 am

Just a quick post for now (I'm chocker in work!) to update you all on our latest rescue Penny :-)

Penny is a little sweetie, she's a tad on the thin side but seems to have a proper healthy appetite.

I mixed her biscuits in with the 3 varieties already mixed that I use, which also has dried mealies mixed in too. She was out straight away, nose dived in, picked out all the mealies, had a huge swig of water and then tucked in to all the biscuits.

Before I went to bed, I put some chicken, sweetcorn and peas in. When I went in this morning to clean everyone out and wash bowls etc, all hers were empty, maybe about 5 biccies left Very Happy Her water bowl was empty too, so I shall monitor how much she actually drinks before becoming too concerned. My Mushroom always drinks quite a bit so it may be nothing Very Happy

Mr Fez hadn't touched his chicken and veg so I put it in for Penny (7.45am this morning) and she came out and ate it!

She does make a right noise when eating and really does tuck in, time will tell whether this is just a temporary thing. Regular eating times and a healthy diet may make her realise it's always going to be this way so she may not 'panic eat'!

Her wheel has been well wheeled and she has used the kitchen roll for her toileting, so she appears to be quite a clean hoggie.

Penny has slight cataracts, but this is just due to her age and doesn't bother her at all, I've spoken to Helen about it and she's reassured me.

I'll have her out tonight, give her a couple of hours exercise time and start to build a bond with her Very Happy

Really looking forward to getting to know her Very Happy

xoxox
Back to top Go down
Lou

Lou

Penny Empty
PostSubject: Re: Penny   Penny Icon_minitimeFri Feb 22, 2013 11:41 am

This is a lovely update. She is enjoying all the new lovely foods she is getting ....will look forward to future updates .x
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100003745145643&ref=t
tayer
tayer

Penny Empty
PostSubject: Re: Penny   Penny Icon_minitimeFri Feb 22, 2013 11:45 am

sounds like she has settled in...how old is she then?
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/PethauPigioghedgehogs
Melody
Admin
Admin
Melody

Penny Empty
PostSubject: Re: Penny   Penny Icon_minitimeFri Feb 22, 2013 11:46 am

I think she'll settle in quite lovely Lou. It seems quite obvious that she's an 'old' hog but then if she's been used for breeding quite a bit, this could have wear and tear on her body making her seem older. A nice retirement is on the cards for her now, in my little hoggie residential care home ha ha

I think she's over 4 Tayer...

xoxox
Back to top Go down
Lou

Lou

Penny Empty
PostSubject: Re: Penny   Penny Icon_minitimeFri Feb 22, 2013 11:48 am

I think its fantastic and how the forum pulled together to get her i will be sending over a little bit more money on Tuesday for her .x
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100003745145643&ref=t
Melody
Admin
Admin
Melody

Penny Empty
PostSubject: Re: Penny   Penny Icon_minitimeFri Feb 22, 2013 11:52 am

Gemma said that she was an ex-breeding hog and the last person bought her when she was 2, she is now 4....

You're a star Lou, thanks to everyone for being so generous. It all goes into the rescue pot.

First and foremost we'll always aim to help and promote the plight of our native hoggies, but we also have to think about our 'rescue' arm of Prickly Critterz - a helping hand for hedgehogs and how we can help out with any of the exotics that find themselves in such situations as Penny did.

A job well done! Very Happy

xoxox
Back to top Go down
tayer
tayer

Penny Empty
PostSubject: Re: Penny   Penny Icon_minitimeFri Feb 22, 2013 11:52 am

wow over 4 is a good age...even with her lifestyle taking into count.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/PethauPigioghedgehogs

Penny Empty
PostSubject: Re: Penny   Penny Icon_minitimeFri Feb 22, 2013 12:27 pm

She was 4 in January this year x
Back to top Go down
Leanne

Leanne

Penny Empty
PostSubject: Re: Penny   Penny Icon_minitimeFri Feb 22, 2013 1:47 pm

So pleased to hear she's settling in:) once she realises she will have food every night she may calm down like you said mel. X
Back to top Go down
gems

gems

Penny Empty
PostSubject: Re: Penny   Penny Icon_minitimeFri Feb 22, 2013 2:02 pm

This is excellent news and yes as soon as she hears you do something in her viv she is staright out to see what is happening bless her.
Iam pleased she is settling in well. look foward to updates Very Happy
Back to top Go down
alison

alison

Penny Empty
PostSubject: Re: Penny   Penny Icon_minitimeFri Feb 22, 2013 3:16 pm

So glad she is settling in well xx
Back to top Go down
horsy

horsy

Penny Empty
PostSubject: Re: Penny   Penny Icon_minitimeFri Feb 22, 2013 4:20 pm

Aaww just love the way you guys pull together . Penny is one lucky girl x
Back to top Go down
Gaga

Gaga

Penny Empty
PostSubject: Re: Penny   Penny Icon_minitimeFri Feb 22, 2013 5:30 pm

great update, glad she seems okay in herself xx
Back to top Go down
fionac
Rescue Committee/Carer
Rescue Committee/Carer
fionac

Penny Empty
PostSubject: Re: Penny   Penny Icon_minitimeFri Feb 22, 2013 5:54 pm

Awww, bless her. Great update Melody.xx
Back to top Go down
sue caldwell

sue caldwell

Penny Empty
PostSubject: Re: Penny   Penny Icon_minitimeFri Feb 22, 2013 9:42 pm

great update cant wait for pics of our new mascot x
Back to top Go down
hoggyhugs

Penny Empty
PostSubject: Re: Penny   Penny Icon_minitimeSat Feb 23, 2013 4:47 pm

She sounds such a little sweetie, it is so lovely to watch them enjoying their food.

Hugs

JO xx
Back to top Go down
gems

gems

Penny Empty
PostSubject: Re: Penny   Penny Icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2013 1:16 pm

how is penny?
Back to top Go down
hoggyhugs

Penny Empty
PostSubject: Re: Penny   Penny Icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2013 4:30 pm

She sounds delightful hun, please keep us updated.

Hugs

JO xx
Back to top Go down
sue caldwell

sue caldwell

Penny Empty
PostSubject: Re: Penny   Penny Icon_minitimeTue Mar 05, 2013 7:59 pm

hope shes settling in x
Back to top Go down
Melody
Admin
Admin
Melody

Penny Empty
PostSubject: Re: Penny   Penny Icon_minitimeWed Mar 06, 2013 2:17 pm

Name: Penny
D.O.B: 15/01/09 - 4 years old now
Colour:Chocolate

Weight: 302g on arrival
341g 6/2/13 Very Happy

Well, Penny has been with me now for almost 2 weeks - Had to check the dates here as it seems like longer! I've given her some time to settle in and get used to her routine. I'm pleased to say that she seems to have adjusted really well Very Happy

Feeding:

She loves her food! When I say loves it, as soon as I go in with her meat and veg every evening, she's out straight away and doesn't stop until it's all gone! Sometimes she eats so fast that she stuffs too much down in one go and almost chokes, this results in her squeaking until she gets over it... She's a gannet!

She is eating a mixture of dried cat biscuits, mealworms and absolutely loves her chicken.

My only concern is that this is exactly what Puddin' done and then went off her food and wanted mealworms only, it's taken me forever to get Puddin' on a full mixed diet and even now she really just prefers her meat and veg. So I'll be keeping a close eye on Penny.

With regards to her drinking, I was a tad concerned initially as it seemed to be quite a lot. However, I've noticed that when she does drink, she'll drink quite a bit but then thats it. It's not like she drinks a lot all the time.... If that makes sense?

Exercise:

Penny is a very energetic hoggie and although she has started putting weight on, I don't think that she would ever have been (if given the chance)or ever will be a very big hedgehog (weight wise). I think that she is a natural runner and would run for ever if you let her Very Happy She really loves it when it is her turn to stay out for the night and going by the still soft poop on her wheel, it looks like she hasn't long gone to bed Very Happy

Again, this is very similar to how Puddin' was when she fist came to me and so may settle down after a couple of weeks - if this is just a nervous energy. However, I get the feeling that Penny hasn't got a nervous bone in her body, as she appears to be quite confident.

Handling:

When I first met Penny, Helen handed her over and she was out straight away, quite confident. However, the first couple of days she took some time before coming out of a huffy, popping ball. I remember Gemma saying that she sounded like a train... To me she sounded like a very loud train! Given that she had been on quite a bit of a journey (not just talking about miles here, I mean being passed from Owner - Gemma - Helen then me) then I'm not surprised that she was like this - probably wondering what was going on and more new smells to get used to bless her. Now when I go to get her out, she'll still huff and puff quite a bit, with a little bit of a head butt, but once I have picked her up, she calms right down. She's not a 100% but we are getting there. Everything is being taken all in Penny's own time Very Happy

Health:

Penny has slight cataracts on her right eye and is a tad underweight. As sight isn't really a huge thing for hoggies to rely on then her cataracts aren't a problem and doesn't bother her atall, this is just something that can come with age and Helen's Hermione is a prime example of how well they can manage.
Penny has a kind of 'rat like gait' when she walks. This could be down to being underweight as well as maybe feeling a bit 'old'. Only time will tell once she is used to having a regular full balanced diet.

Over all she seems quite happy in herself and is quite a character. We have regular little but often out time and this seems to be okay with her. I'm sure she is in a happy place emotionally Very Happy

I shall try and take a video of her coming out for her food and then coming over to ask for some more! (She's really sweet) Maybe if I have too much of a challenge uploading it, I can send it over to someone to have a go for me Very Happy (Because I'm so rubbish!)

xoxox

Last edited by Melody on Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:48 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down

Penny Empty
PostSubject: Re: Penny   Penny Icon_minitimeWed Mar 06, 2013 2:27 pm

Can confirm her birthday is 15th January - she was born 2009.

What a lovely update Melody - Hermione and Honey have cataracts on both of their eyes and they still enjoy their time out in the exercise area and wheel away as and when they want, although Hermione is without her wheel until she has healed - they have poor eyesight and rely on their hearing and smell.

I am sure that in another few weeks she will know she has her forever home - you do a great job Mad Mel xx
Back to top Go down
Melody
Admin
Admin
Melody

Penny Empty
PostSubject: Re: Penny   Penny Icon_minitimeWed Mar 06, 2013 2:30 pm

Thank you very kindly muchly Helen, have now updated her DOB Very Happy

xoxox
Back to top Go down

Penny Empty
PostSubject: Re: Penny   Penny Icon_minitimeWed Mar 06, 2013 2:31 pm

I have her cert but there is nothing on it at all - no parents names, no nothing - have contacted her original breeder but heard zip all back - at least we have her birthday x
Back to top Go down
fionac
Rescue Committee/Carer
Rescue Committee/Carer
fionac

Penny Empty
PostSubject: Re: Penny   Penny Icon_minitimeWed Mar 06, 2013 2:45 pm

Aww, bless her. Great update Melody. Do you think maybe they were putting food and water in for a bit and then taking it out, and that's led her to scoff and drink as much as she can in one go? Anyway, she is in good hands now, and that is all that matters. :)xx
Back to top Go down
horsy

horsy

Penny Empty
PostSubject: Re: Penny   Penny Icon_minitimeWed Mar 06, 2013 4:52 pm

Great update mad mel Very Happy it's good she now has a great home at last xx
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Penny Empty
PostSubject: Re: Penny   Penny Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Penny