Prickly-Critterz Forum
Prickly-Critterz Forum
Prickly-Critterz Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Embrace me, my sweet embraceable octopus...

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage

Embrace me, my sweet embraceable octopus... Empty
PostSubject: Embrace me, my sweet embraceable octopus...   Embrace me, my sweet embraceable octopus... Icon_minitimeSat Mar 23, 2013 9:41 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

This is the Larger Pacific Striped Octopus (LPSO), or the "kissing" octopus. Most octopi have a special "arm" for mating called a hectocotylus which they use to maintain a safe breeding distance from ornery lovers, but the LPSO has a different tactic for mating: they pretty much hug each other and make out which usually isn't such a good idea considering the known cannibalistic nature of most Cephalopods... The LPSO is the only known octopus to mate beak to beak and has thus been dubbed the "kissing" octopus.

But that's not all this amazing Cephalopod has to teach us about octopus social and mating structures: the LPSO is a social species where females will share dens with males, males will share dens with other males, and there have been reported incidences of up to 40 individuals in a social group. Mostly all other octopus species are thought to lead solitary lives. Not only that, but also the LPSO is iteroparous, which means the female can brood and hatch multiple clutches of offspring over her lifetime instead of dying after (or likely before) her first and only clutch like most other octopus species. In fact there is only one other known iteroparous octopus: the Lesser Pacific Striped Octopus.

And now this amazing Cephalopod will be on display to the public for the first time ever outside of the Pacific Ocean at the California Academy of Sciences in San Francisco!!!
Back to top Go down
Gaga

Gaga

PostSubject: Re: Embrace me, my sweet embraceable octopus...   Embrace me, my sweet embraceable octopus... Icon_minitimeSat Mar 23, 2013 9:44 am

octopus' are scary, but aww they kiss xx
Back to top Go down
fionac
Rescue Committee/Carer
Rescue Committee/Carer
fionac

PostSubject: Re: Embrace me, my sweet embraceable octopus...   Embrace me, my sweet embraceable octopus... Icon_minitimeSat Mar 23, 2013 12:53 pm

aww, beautiful.x
Back to top Go down
tayer
tayer

PostSubject: Re: Embrace me, my sweet embraceable octopus...   Embrace me, my sweet embraceable octopus... Icon_minitimeFri Mar 29, 2013 10:25 am

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/PethauPigioghedgehogs
Lou

Lou

PostSubject: Re: Embrace me, my sweet embraceable octopus...   Embrace me, my sweet embraceable octopus... Icon_minitimeFri Mar 29, 2013 11:46 am

I think they are amazing
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100003745145643&ref=t
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Embrace me, my sweet embraceable octopus...   Embrace me, my sweet embraceable octopus... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Embrace me, my sweet embraceable octopus...
Page 1 of 1