Prickly-Critterz Forum
Prickly-Critterz Forum
Prickly-Critterz Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Hedgehogs in May

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage

Hedgehogs in May Empty
PostSubject: Hedgehogs in May   Hedgehogs in May Icon_minitimeThu Apr 04, 2013 10:00 am

NEWS!!!...NEWS!!!...NEWS!!!...NEWS!!!...NEWS!!!...NEWS!!!...NEWS!!!

By now all the hedgehogs should be up and about after their long hibernations and their thoughts will be turning to procreation.

If you see a hedgehog in your garden that is visiting regularly then it is more likely to be a female. Females tend to stay fairly local and have a small area in which they forage. However the males will wander over a large area in the search for receptive females.

If you are thinking of demolishing your garden shed then do it sooner rather than later. Around this time of year we get lots of calls starting “I have just been knocking down my old shed and …..” Yes, we know you have found a female hedgehog with babies – it happens every year!!

Hedgehogs out in the day are usually in trouble – however sometimes a female about to give birth will put some finishing touches to her nest. She may appear in the daytime and will be carrying leaves and such items to a certain place in the garden – often making repeated visits. In this case her being out in the day has a definite purpose and she should be left alone. Count 4 weeks and a few days and this might be when you will start seeing her and her new family foraging together across your lawn.

We are firm believers in prevention being better than cure so try to ‘think hedgehog’ and avoid any activities that may disturb nests or worst still may injure, maim or kill them. The British Hedgehog Preservation Society has a leaflet called ‘Gardening “with” Hedgehogs’. For this and much more see [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] If you find a hedgehog needing help or if you need more advice call the Brent Lodge Wildlife Trust on 01243 641672 – it is better to be safe than sorry.
Back to top Go down
Lou

Lou

Hedgehogs in May Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hedgehogs in May   Hedgehogs in May Icon_minitimeMon Apr 08, 2013 9:31 pm

I haven't see any of my regular visitors ... I did look in the old shed food is been eaten but no droppings which makes me feel its a stray cat or neighbours cat that is eating the biscuits .x
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100003745145643&ref=t

Hedgehogs in May
Page 1 of 1