Prickly-Critterz Forum
Prickly-Critterz Forum
Prickly-Critterz Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Healthiest Pure Breed Dogs.

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Gaga

Gaga

The Healthiest Pure Breed Dogs. Empty
PostSubject: The Healthiest Pure Breed Dogs.   The Healthiest Pure Breed Dogs. Icon_minitimeSun May 26, 2013 12:27 pm

While the healthiest dog breeds often are mutts, these purebreds also are less likely to need trips to the veterinarian. Of course, simply choosing a breed less likely to have health problems is not enough. Be sure to check with your breeder to find out what health screens and DNA tests should be conducted to minimize the chance that a health problem will affect your dog.

Basenji
Basenjis are known for their inability to bark, but they also enjoy long lives dogs with few health problems. The most common problems for this breed are hypothyroidism and hip dysphasia, both of which can be treated, depending on the severity of the problem.

Shiba Inu
These small, hardy dogs have few health problems, but the few problems they do have can be difficult to resolve. Patellar luxation, a condition that allows the kneecap to easily pop out of place, can cause pain and difficulty for Shibas. Screening Shibas for this condition and removing those affected from the gene pool are the best defenses against problems within the breed.

Chihuahua
These small dogs can have a lifespan that is double that of extra-large dog breeds. Hypothyroidism and patellar luxation are both common Chihuahua health problems, but these remain relatively uncommonly when the dogs are purchased from reputable breeders.

Bichon Frise
The Bichon Frise is a generally healthy breed, and those health conditions that are prevalent within these dogs are not life-threatening. However, Bichons do get allergies and bladder stones, two conditions that require regular, ongoing treatment.

Australian Cattle Dog
An Australian cattle dog holds the record for longest lifespan, at an astounding 29 years. These dogs exhibit few health problems, but you should be on the lookout for progressive retinal atrophy, a problem that can cause blindness.

Poodle
Poodles are a hardy dog breed with very few health problems. Hip dysphasia is a concern, but pre-breeding health screenings can greatly reduce the chances of this problem. Standard poodles may be subject to bloat, a potentially fatal problem that occurs when the stomach flips inside the dog.

Beagles
As dog breeds go, beagles are energetic and healthy. However, they are not immune to problems such as seizure disorders and allergies.

Border Collies
Border collies were bred to be hardy working dogs, and most require very little veterinary care. Hip dysphasia and collie eye anomaly are the most common health problems.

Greyhounds
Greyhounds can easily develop dental problems, but regular brushing, cleaning and a high-quality food can help you avoid any major problems. Luckily, other health problems with this dog are fairly rare.

Doberman Pinscher
These intelligent dogs once were over-bred due to excessive popularity, but now with new tests, many health problems have been eliminated. This breed can inherit both cardiomyopathy and Wobbler's syndrome, two life-threatening illnesses that do not have screening processes.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Healthiest Pure Breed Dogs.   The Healthiest Pure Breed Dogs. Icon_minitimeSun May 26, 2013 12:39 pm

Love border collies xx
Back to top Go down
Gaga

Gaga

PostSubject: Re: The Healthiest Pure Breed Dogs.   The Healthiest Pure Breed Dogs. Icon_minitimeSun May 26, 2013 12:48 pm

i love chihuahua's Very Happy hehe xx
Back to top Go down
Lou

Lou

PostSubject: Re: The Healthiest Pure Breed Dogs.   The Healthiest Pure Breed Dogs. Icon_minitimeSun May 26, 2013 1:12 pm

I like toy poodles .x
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100003745145643&ref=t
Botty31

Botty31

PostSubject: Re: The Healthiest Pure Breed Dogs.   The Healthiest Pure Breed Dogs. Icon_minitimeSun May 26, 2013 4:11 pm

I love them all !!! Lol x
Back to top Go down
tanzi

tanzi

PostSubject: Re: The Healthiest Pure Breed Dogs.   The Healthiest Pure Breed Dogs. Icon_minitimeTue May 28, 2013 12:44 pm

I have had Border Collies and German Sheperds all my adult life, I have been an obedience trainer and done many shows with my collies and won a few, that was a few years ago when I was young and fit lol x
Back to top Go down
Gaga

Gaga

PostSubject: Re: The Healthiest Pure Breed Dogs.   The Healthiest Pure Breed Dogs. Icon_minitimeTue May 28, 2013 2:00 pm

i love going to shows, cant wait to take chester this year xx
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Healthiest Pure Breed Dogs.   The Healthiest Pure Breed Dogs. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Healthiest Pure Breed Dogs.
Page 1 of 1