Prickly-Critterz Forum
Prickly-Critterz Forum
Prickly-Critterz Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Hello from me & Quil :)

Go down 
+8
Stephowitt
nickyhi
tayer
gems
Lou
Gaga
zombiewoman
12 posters
AuthorMessage
Stephowitt

Stephowitt

Hello from me & Quil :) Empty
PostSubject: Hello from me & Quil :)   Hello from me & Quil :) Icon_minitimeMon Jun 10, 2013 10:54 pm

Hey there, i've just joined Smile

I got my baby African Pygmy Hedgehog 2 weeks ago tomorrow & I love him to bit's, his name is Quil Smile

I've joined this site mainly for advice, as he just doesn't seem to be settling in well Sad Maybe he is just a 'moody hog' .. But we get him out and most of the time when I hold him he just doesn't relax at all.. He huffs, clicks, and is in a ball most of the time. He seemed to have bonded with my boyfriend a little more.. He'd be a lot more relaxed and he would be able to stroke and kiss his head and rub/tickle his feet and tummy. But now he's started biting and attacking us. He just seems so angry, if we put him down after he starts trying to bite he will attack the blanket, or the cushions on the sofa. Like he is majorly pee'd off Sad
He has a nice big 4' hutch, we live in a quiet house, he has lot's of blankets, a nice varied diet, we give him a treat twice a week & we make sure he is plenty warm enough. When we get him out we make sure it's not to noisy (it's just me and my boyfriend in the house anyway, so it's easy) we are gentle with him.
It's upsetting me, as he just does not seem happy.. & I can't help but blame myself even though I don't think i'm doing anything wrong.

Any advice would really be appreciated Smile
Back to top Go down
zombiewoman

PostSubject: Re: Hello from me & Quil :)   Hello from me & Quil :) Icon_minitimeTue Jun 11, 2013 3:10 am

Hello to you and Quill, welcome to the forum and hope you feel like family soon. My first thought is how old is your little guy? He might be quilling and that can be very uncomfortable to some similar to babies teething. Another thought is there a strong smell on you or the blankets, new wash powder or hand soap or lotion that your boyfriend does not use? I am sure some of the others will also have questions and between all of us can give you some support. Lisa USA
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Qute-Quillz/318392471572041
Gaga

Gaga

PostSubject: Re: Hello from me & Quil :)   Hello from me & Quil :) Icon_minitimeTue Jun 11, 2013 7:17 am

Hiya whats is your name? you didnt mention Smile Im Gaga AKA Jake
congratulations on your new hog, as Lisa said the behavior could be down to him having one of his quills, how old is he? if he is below 12 weeks then i would asume quilling to be the problem, try to handle him with confidence dont let him get away with scaring or hurting you let him know your the boss, love him and cuddle him but just remember he will be a little sore where new quills are coming through Smile Stop the biting by giving a quick sharp blow on his face you doont want him to do that you could also tell him "no" and use this as a discouragement method Smile
hope you find the forum useful
i have 3 hedgehogs, thistle, fudge and hugo
a chihuahua - chester
a chihuahua x poodle -
poppy and a cat - phoebe

feel free to ask any questions and post in other topics xx
Back to top Go down
Lou

Lou

PostSubject: Re: Hello from me & Quil :)   Hello from me & Quil :) Icon_minitimeTue Jun 11, 2013 7:24 am

Hey glad you managed to find you way over ....... Will catch up after work xx
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100003745145643&ref=t

PostSubject: Re: Hello from me & Quil :)   Hello from me & Quil :) Icon_minitimeTue Jun 11, 2013 7:33 am

Hi, there are lots of useful tips and information in the stickies in each section that you will find helpful - anything else, just ask x
Back to top Go down
gems

gems

PostSubject: Re: Hello from me & Quil :)   Hello from me & Quil :) Icon_minitimeTue Jun 11, 2013 7:48 am

Hello and welcome to the forum I have 2 hedgehogs Theodore and willow Very Happy
There is stickys at the top of every topic and in behaviour there is one on biting and how to deal with it maybe read through it as it will help you. Anymore questions just ask Very Happy
Back to top Go down
tayer
tayer

PostSubject: Re: Hello from me & Quil :)   Hello from me & Quil :) Icon_minitimeTue Jun 11, 2013 8:02 am

hiya, im tayer and im from wales...
welcome to the forum..
i have 8 hogs and 2 litters of babies...
2 (1 think its a dog) rabbits and 3 baby ones...
2 dogs...
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/PethauPigioghedgehogs
nickyhi

nickyhi

PostSubject: Re: Hello from me & Quil :)   Hello from me & Quil :) Icon_minitimeTue Jun 11, 2013 9:00 am

Welcome to the forum, you'll find it extemely friendly and helpful.

I'm Nicky and live in south wales. Share my house with:
3 dogs (springer, cocker and jack russel)
2 cats
3 chinchillas + a baby boy who will be finding a new home shortly
1 gerbils
1 hamster
2 APH's Tiana and GusGus
2 female and 4 male guinea pigs
4 giant rabbits - they have the run of the garden
1 dwarf rabbit
6 bantams + 6 chicks
2 turkey poults
1 horse
1 donkey which I keep at my mums small holding - garden isn't big enough and she gets to play with her friends.
And 1 husband who was animal free before he met me.
Back to top Go down
Stephowitt

Stephowitt

PostSubject: Re: Hello from me & Quil :)   Hello from me & Quil :) Icon_minitimeTue Jun 11, 2013 11:47 am

zombiewoman wrote:
Hello to you and Quill, welcome to the forum and hope you feel like family soon. My first thought is how old is your little guy? He might be quilling and that can be very uncomfortable to some similar to babies teething. Another thought is there a strong smell on you or the blankets, new wash powder or hand soap or lotion that your boyfriend does not use? I am sure some of the others will also have questions and between all of us can give you some support. Lisa USA

He is only a baby, and after reading the forums last night I did think more and more that maybe it could be the Quilling stage as he is around 10 weeks old. I'm just so scared about picking him up now, eventhough the bite didn't hurt, it just makes me jump, lol.

I'm Steph by the way Smile From Sunny Devon Smile xx
Back to top Go down
christinelevis

christinelevis

PostSubject: Re: Hello from me & Quil :)   Hello from me & Quil :) Icon_minitimeTue Jun 11, 2013 12:33 pm

Hi Steph welcome to the forum Smile you will find lots of great advice on here. I'm Christine & have one APH called Padfoot xx
Back to top Go down
http://www.christinelevis.co.uk
Lou

Lou

PostSubject: Re: Hello from me & Quil :)   Hello from me & Quil :) Icon_minitimeTue Jun 11, 2013 1:50 pm

I am glad your finding the forum useful Steph x
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100003745145643&ref=t
Melody
Admin
Admin
Melody

PostSubject: Re: Hello from me & Quil :)   Hello from me & Quil :) Icon_minitimeTue Jun 11, 2013 2:38 pm

Hey Steph,

welcome aboard to our happy place Very Happy

I have 7 hoggies (but the hubby thinks its 6 so shhhhh)

Ernie Holt my first adoptee hoggie who only went and got me hooked on these little prickly beings!

Puddin' was my first foster hoggie from the rescue, she is a super fast super speedy hoggie and will only eat her chicken and one particular brand of biscuits! She has a forever home with me now

Little Miss Daisy Splat is my first ever beanie who I can do almost anything with, she is super chilled. She was my first baby hoggie bred by Helen (Nellie) Very Happy

Mushroom was my first little dark hoggie, again bred by Helen. He is not so little anymore and weighs over 700g at his last weigh in Very Happy

Mr Fez is my Desert Hog, he's so different from APH and really loves running around really fast from one hiding speck to another during his play time and goes like the clappers on his wheel. He also likes to lie in front of his Pigloo and look like a Pharaoh Very Happy

Penny is another foster hoggie who everyone here on Prickly Critterz rallied round to rescue. She's an old dear who will have her forever home with me. As soon as I go into my hoggie room, she is the first one out to see 'what I've got for her' Very Happy Very Happy

Bambam is my little sweet boy. I am looking after him on behalf of Leanne and although he will always be Leannes baby, he will have his forever home with me Very Happy

I have recently become a mum to Agnes and Gertie, two lovely chick, chick, chick, chick, chickens. They are tonnes of fun Very Happy

I also have an Eva Puppy Dog who follows me around everywhere whilst looking after all of the above Very Happy

My hubby is the best thing that has ever happened to me and without him I wouldn't have my hoggie rescue room Very Happy

Quil looks like a cute little hoggie, just give him time and patience and I'm sure he'll come round. There is another thread that you might want to read through of a similar story. The story is about a little hoggie called Shadow. Grab a cuppa and have a read;

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Looking forward to getting to know you :-)

xoxox
Back to top Go down
sue caldwell

sue caldwell

PostSubject: Re: Hello from me & Quil :)   Hello from me & Quil :) Icon_minitimeTue Jun 11, 2013 9:38 pm

hi steph
I have one hoggie named errol who is a huffy boy 1 uromastyx named Pudsey a westie called tilly a schnauzer named rosie
sue x
Back to top Go down
Snufflehogs
Admin
Admin
Snufflehogs

PostSubject: Re: Hello from me & Quil :)   Hello from me & Quil :) Icon_minitimeWed Jun 12, 2013 8:58 am

Hi Steph! Welcome to the forum. Very Happy

I'm the very proud mummy of;
3 APH's, Hercules - Pebbles and Tilly Twinkle Toes
3 Corn snakes - Davros, Ethel and Cilla
1 Bearded dragon - Ferrigno
1 Dwarf Hermanns tortoise - Meldrew
1 Cat - Humphrey

I also have a tank full of fish, snails and clams!

I'm sure things will sort themselves out. There is tons of advice on here and there is always someone around to answer any questions you have. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://snufflehogshedgehogs.co.uk
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hello from me & Quil :)   Hello from me & Quil :) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hello from me & Quil :)
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Prickly-Critterz Forum :: Welcome :: Introductions-
Jump to: