Prickly-Critterz Forum
Prickly-Critterz Forum
Prickly-Critterz Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Hedgehogs and Human Pregnancy

Go down 
+3
tayer
janey
7 posters
AuthorMessage

Hedgehogs and Human Pregnancy Empty
PostSubject: Hedgehogs and Human Pregnancy   Hedgehogs and Human Pregnancy Icon_minitimeSun Nov 06, 2011 1:27 pm

Published on 05-26-2010 09:25 PM Written by Antigone Means-Burleson

All too often I see ads posted on the internet that say, "Having a baby, have to find a home for my hedgehog." From personal experience, I can definitely say that having a baby is a huge life change, but it doesn't necessitate the re-homing of your hedgehog.

The first thing to pay attention to if you are pregnant or have a small baby, is hygiene. I have talked to several vets and doctors and all told me that the risk of toxoplasmosis is pretty darn remote with hedgehogs, unless they are allowed to spend a lot of time rooting outdoors. Other types of infections, such as salmonella, are a possible risk but washing hands and practicing good hygiene can prevent the spread of infection. When my children were very small, I would wait until they napped before taking care of the hedgehogs and then would wash up and change clothes before handling the baby.

Many expectant parents believe that a new baby will mean that they don't have enough time for the hedgehog. My experience has been that this is not the case. Babies sleep a lot. And in the middle of the night, when you can't sleep after the little human has woken to demand feeding, hedgehogs are very understanding.

As your human baby grows, a hedgehog is a wonderful companion to learn from. My children have been fascinated with the hedgehogs since they were old enough to take note. They have learned about expressing feelings and how to respect the hedgehog's defenses. My kids and I spend valuable together time cleaning the cages and playing with hedgehogs. While it would take me half the time to clean alone, my kids take pride in their jobs. Zury (2.5 years) dumps clean shavings in the cages after I clean them out, while Seph (age 4) rinses out and refills water bottles, then fills and places feed dishes in the clean cage. I take pride in their learning these responsibilities, and in their learning how much our little friends depend on us to help them.

I feel sad for the people behind those "Having a baby, must get rid of hedgehog" ads. I think of how much my children have benefited from the hedgehogs in our family, and how much the hedgehogs benefit from having my children to share their love and attention, and I think my children would agree.
Back to top Go down
janey

janey

PostSubject: Re: Hedgehogs and Human Pregnancy   Hedgehogs and Human Pregnancy Icon_minitimeSun Nov 06, 2011 3:02 pm

Definately, there is so reason why you can't have hedgehogs and children, my kids love them xx
Back to top Go down
tayer
tayer

PostSubject: Re: Hedgehogs and Human Pregnancy   Hedgehogs and Human Pregnancy Icon_minitimeSun Nov 06, 2011 3:13 pm

it teaches kids to give animals respect and TLC!! and gives kids confidence.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/PethauPigioghedgehogs
Melody
Admin
Admin
Melody

PostSubject: Re: Hedgehogs and Human Pregnancy   Hedgehogs and Human Pregnancy Icon_minitimeSun Nov 06, 2011 7:21 pm

I believe that children learn big time from playing a part in looking after their pets. I agree with Tayer that it gives them confidence and teaches them about respect etc, I also believe that t makes the child a better person in adulthood.

xoxox
Back to top Go down
dobbyhog

dobbyhog

PostSubject: Re: Hedgehogs and Human Pregnancy   Hedgehogs and Human Pregnancy Icon_minitimeMon Nov 07, 2011 10:24 am

I tihnk its great to bring up childrena round animals, shows them responsibility and how to care for something so small. I was bought up around rabbits and just adore everything I can hug lol
Back to top Go down
dobbyhog

dobbyhog

PostSubject: Re: Hedgehogs and Human Pregnancy   Hedgehogs and Human Pregnancy Icon_minitimeSat Feb 04, 2012 10:16 am

my hoggies are my children so i have nothing to even consider about hehe x
Back to top Go down
Cathy

Cathy

PostSubject: Re: Hedgehogs and Human Pregnancy   Hedgehogs and Human Pregnancy Icon_minitimeSat Feb 04, 2012 2:29 pm

I love my babies so much, and I can't imagine giving them up just because I'm pregnant. I wont stop loving them. And TBH if you keep on top of the cleaning etc, it's not a huge job. It certainly doesn't take hours (unless you are Lou and have 100 hogs lol). xxx
Back to top Go down
Lou

Lou

PostSubject: Re: Hedgehogs and Human Pregnancy   Hedgehogs and Human Pregnancy Icon_minitimeSat Feb 04, 2012 3:16 pm

Lol ... I wouldn't part with mine either .. I have even had the if anything happens to be chat with Eden ...
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100003745145643&ref=t
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hedgehogs and Human Pregnancy   Hedgehogs and Human Pregnancy Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hedgehogs and Human Pregnancy
Page 1 of 1