Prickly-Critterz Forum
Prickly-Critterz Forum
Prickly-Critterz Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Watching the whales of West Cork

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage

Watching the whales of West Cork Empty
PostSubject: Watching the whales of West Cork   Watching the whales of West Cork Icon_minitimeTue Oct 01, 2013 6:44 pm

Ireland’s south coast is fast becoming one of Europe’s whale-watching hotspots, and in early August I was reminded just how amazing it can be. I’d heard through the grapevine that there was a lot of minke whale activity off the West Cork coast, so I booked a place aboard a trip with Cork Whale Watch ([You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Skipper Colin Barnes’s expertise soon paid dividends when he spotted a huge cloud of gannets ahead. As we approached the birds, we could see common dolphins moving beneath them, which was thrilling enough. Then: wham!

A minke whale broke the surface, the front half of its body clearing the water as it lunged through the shoal of juvenile
herring at some speed. Everyone on board was rendered speechless. Then it happened again… and again… and again.

There must have been at least six minke whales hitting the shoal, with dozens of common dolphins, thousands of gannets and masses of manx, sooty and even some great shearwaters getting in on the feeding frenzy. It was an unforgettable wildlife moment, and some truly world-class whale-watching.
Back to top Go down
hoggyhugs

Watching the whales of West Cork Empty
PostSubject: Re: Watching the whales of West Cork   Watching the whales of West Cork Icon_minitimeFri Oct 11, 2013 6:29 pm

What I wouldn't give to swim with whales and dolphins. I love them so much.

Hugs

JO xx
Back to top Go down

Watching the whales of West Cork
Page 1 of 1