Prickly-Critterz Forum
Prickly-Critterz Forum
Prickly-Critterz Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Enrichment around the cage

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Tismoi

Enrichment around the cage Empty
PostSubject: Enrichment around the cage   Enrichment around the cage Icon_minitimeSun Jan 05, 2014 8:21 pm

Hey everyone

I was wondering what sort of enrichment should be provided in the cage and play area, apart from the obvious sleepy hidey-hole and wheel. I've heard that hedgies like playing with cat toys with bells etc, toilet roll tubes and things like pingpong balls etc, but i was wondering what otehr things i could consider adding - would they like a pile of fleece strips to hide under? do they need some things to chew on? would they benefit from having food presented to them in unusual/challanging ways - e.g. wrapping it in newspaper, or a puzzle thing - one of those small balls that deposits food as it's pushed around etc?

Thanks for your help  Smile 
Back to top Go down
tayer
tayer

PostSubject: Re: Enrichment around the cage   Enrichment around the cage Icon_minitimeSun Jan 05, 2014 8:24 pm

Iv heard kongs stuffed with mealies.

A tray of fleece strips to forage hide mealies in it...also heard ppl, collect corns and leaves, put them in the oven for a few hours to kill bacteria etc...and use that.....or buy it in bags from pets at home.

Chinchilla sand is also loved.

Teddies...crinkly toys, like babies like....they love metal...
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/PethauPigioghedgehogs

PostSubject: Re: Enrichment around the cage   Enrichment around the cage Icon_minitimeSun Jan 05, 2014 9:33 pm

Their wheel is the best toy - you can also get fleece ferret tunnels which they can run through as well - I have them in my run, easy to wash and dry x
Back to top Go down
tayer
tayer

PostSubject: Re: Enrichment around the cage   Enrichment around the cage Icon_minitimeSun Jan 05, 2014 9:37 pm

The wheel is the main attraction....and food...lol
Back to top Go down
Snufflehogs
Admin
Admin
Snufflehogs

PostSubject: Re: Enrichment around the cage   Enrichment around the cage Icon_minitimeMon Jan 06, 2014 2:12 pm

Some hedgehogs love catnip, so a little cat toy with it in can go down very well. I have one hoggie that goes mad for it - more so than my cat, hehe! Smile
Back to top Go down
http://snufflehogshedgehogs.co.uk
tayer
tayer

PostSubject: Re: Enrichment around the cage   Enrichment around the cage Icon_minitimeMon Jan 06, 2014 7:17 pm

Apparently catnip is bad for hogs, so I read, there is toxins in it?.?????
I didn't know this till a few months ago, coz iv bought my hog cat nip toys...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Enrichment around the cage   Enrichment around the cage Icon_minitimeMon Jan 06, 2014 8:29 pm

I have heard this before but then there are sites that say it is safe - so much conflicting advice out there x
Back to top Go down
Tismoi

PostSubject: Re: Enrichment around the cage   Enrichment around the cage Icon_minitimeTue Jan 07, 2014 11:58 am

Thanks for your help - i'll do some research before buying anything containing cat-nip, but it's fun to know that option is there.

Tunnels is something i hadnt thought of - i'll have to start making things when i know i can actually have a hedgehog.
How would chinchilla sand be used? is it similar and they'd have dust baths in it, or is it just because it's a fun different texture? I can imagine it's get everywhere, but could be a good thing to put in a day or 2 before the cage needs to be cleaned anyway
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Enrichment around the cage   Enrichment around the cage Icon_minitimeTue Jan 07, 2014 12:06 pm

You can use it in a cat litter tray and they will roll in it and use it to clean with - think Nikki posted a video in the tenrecs on how hers used it to clean themselves with x
Back to top Go down
tayer
tayer

PostSubject: Re: Enrichment around the cage   Enrichment around the cage Icon_minitimeTue Jan 07, 2014 7:24 pm

Iv seen SAMs dobby use it in a vid, it's very adorable....I just having got round to buying it....and when I go to the pet shop it goes put of my mind.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Enrichment around the cage   Enrichment around the cage Icon_minitimeTue Jan 07, 2014 7:37 pm

Know that feeling, I have just been looking for my phone - couldn't hear it ringing in the house - had left it in the car!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Enrichment around the cage   Enrichment around the cage Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Enrichment around the cage
Page 1 of 1