Prickly-Critterz Forum
Prickly-Critterz Forum
Prickly-Critterz Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Hibernation attempt and where to go from here.

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
maddi

maddi

Hibernation attempt and where to go from here. Empty
PostSubject: Hibernation attempt and where to go from here.   Hibernation attempt and where to go from here. Icon_minitimeTue Nov 25, 2014 9:56 pm

Found Ivy on the verge of hibernation this evening...I was stupid and had left the window open overnight and her downstairs in her vivarium hit 17 degrees.

Her upper level has got a CHE which is maintained at 24degrees.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

This is her vivarium, I was thinking that I will get a heat mat for the downstairs part and move her sleeping area down there and move the wheel upstairs.

I have a couple of questions about heatmats...which is best to use? and do you place it directly under their liner? Ivy's vivarium is really heavy so not sure how it would work being underneath the vivarium itself like I have read in some places?
Back to top Go down
Nellie
Admin/Owner
Admin/Owner
Nellie

PostSubject: Re: Hibernation attempt and where to go from here.   Hibernation attempt and where to go from here. Icon_minitimeTue Nov 25, 2014 11:24 pm

I always use habistat heat mats - as my vivs are stacked I do slip them between the vivs rather than in them - the exception are the bottom vivs as the mats would be on the carpet - if you have somebody handy, you can use a small drill to make a hole for the mat flex to go through - take the plug off and slot the wire through and then put the plug back on - you can use with a habitstat mat stat which will keep the temperature constant - mats go under my liners x
Back to top Go down
http://www.simplyexotichedgehogs.co.uk
tayer
tayer

PostSubject: Re: Hibernation attempt and where to go from here.   Hibernation attempt and where to go from here. Icon_minitimeTue Nov 25, 2014 11:25 pm

I use the smallest habistat heatmat.
And I got some under the liner but some larger ones in between the vivs...!

Got to be careful of the Che with the wheel, as Iv seen some pretty warped and melted wheels after having it under a Che.
Should be ok where Ivy's wood house is, mind.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/PethauPigioghedgehogs
tayer
tayer

PostSubject: Re: Hibernation attempt and where to go from here.   Hibernation attempt and where to go from here. Icon_minitimeTue Nov 25, 2014 11:26 pm

Haha snap Helen, more or less said the same thing there.
11x11 I think they are...?
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/PethauPigioghedgehogs
maddi

maddi

PostSubject: Re: Hibernation attempt and where to go from here.   Hibernation attempt and where to go from here. Icon_minitimeTue Nov 25, 2014 11:41 pm

Perfect! Sounds as though thats the way forward then, will get to ordering those bits! Thought if the wheel was the opposite end to where it is now but up the top it should be far enough away from the bulb...

Fright of my life though... and knowing she's likely to try it again little madam!
Back to top Go down
Nellie
Admin/Owner
Admin/Owner
Nellie

PostSubject: Re: Hibernation attempt and where to go from here.   Hibernation attempt and where to go from here. Icon_minitimeWed Nov 26, 2014 1:02 pm

Great minds and hedgehog care think alike Tayer x
Back to top Go down
http://www.simplyexotichedgehogs.co.uk
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hibernation attempt and where to go from here.   Hibernation attempt and where to go from here. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hibernation attempt and where to go from here.
Page 1 of 1