Prickly-Critterz Forum
Prickly-Critterz Forum
Prickly-Critterz Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

an idea / experiment...

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
angriesthedgehog

angriesthedgehog

an idea / experiment...  Empty
PostSubject: an idea / experiment...    an idea / experiment...  Icon_minitimeSun Aug 02, 2015 8:33 pm

Something I have not seen done but have been contemplating for some time... I am wondering about making a "natural" setup for a couple of my hogs (though obv still need wheels) using rocks branches and plants (fake as unsure which are safe but after finding safe perhaps real after) with a dry compacted sand soil substrate etc. I think it would be interesting and allow my hogs to forage etc. Been looking up about natural environments of Algerian and white bellied hogs. The viv I have mind fits into a corner and 4ft X 4ft at the back two sides In a triangle shape with.the ends cut off.

Wonder what anyone's opinion may be on this or any suggestions for this project..
Back to top Go down
Nellie
Admin/Owner
Admin/Owner
Nellie

PostSubject: Re: an idea / experiment...    an idea / experiment...  Icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2015 8:56 am

I do know of somebody who has done this - they have given them a totally natural set up but they still maintain the play pen for them at night x
Back to top Go down
http://www.simplyexotichedgehogs.co.uk
angriesthedgehog

angriesthedgehog

PostSubject: Re: an idea / experiment...    an idea / experiment...  Icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2015 9:04 am

Ooh....is there any info anywhere? Would love to see it! Yea obv still playpen wheels and likewise. Can't make a wheel look natural :p I couldn't find anything except zoos!
Back to top Go down
Nellie
Admin/Owner
Admin/Owner
Nellie

PostSubject: Re: an idea / experiment...    an idea / experiment...  Icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2015 1:35 pm

Let me see if I can find it chuck x
Back to top Go down
angriesthedgehog

angriesthedgehog

PostSubject: Re: an idea / experiment...    an idea / experiment...  Icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2015 5:48 pm

Cool that would be amazing Smile
Back to top Go down
MrJsk

MrJsk

PostSubject: Re: an idea / experiment...    an idea / experiment...  Icon_minitimeWed Aug 05, 2015 1:25 pm

I thought about this too Hayley. I did post on RFUK about what type of substrate to use and that.. but didn't really get very far! lol
Back to top Go down
Nellie
Admin/Owner
Admin/Owner
Nellie

PostSubject: Re: an idea / experiment...    an idea / experiment...  Icon_minitimeWed Aug 05, 2015 1:52 pm

I am still looking, just have to find where I saved the flipping photos on my computer!
Back to top Go down
angriesthedgehog

angriesthedgehog

PostSubject: Re: an idea / experiment...    an idea / experiment...  Icon_minitimeWed Aug 05, 2015 2:06 pm

Yea I think I saw that on rfuk and it just ended up in people moaning lol

Well I was looking at the habitat of African hogs and thinking a dry sand soil looks good. Though I can imagine it being a pain to clean. With rocks and branches to make natural burrows, humps and nd hollows. Then something loser scattered on top.. like dead dry leaves etc for foraging. I want to put some plants but will start with fake until I'm sure what's safe. Would love to have the spring tails etc in substrate like in dart frogs, but will be too dry for anything like that.
Back to top Go down
angriesthedgehog

angriesthedgehog

PostSubject: Re: an idea / experiment...    an idea / experiment...  Icon_minitimeWed Aug 05, 2015 2:06 pm

And thank you Nellie. .. did the natural setup work?
Back to top Go down
MrJsk

MrJsk

PostSubject: Re: an idea / experiment...    an idea / experiment...  Icon_minitimeWed Aug 05, 2015 8:42 pm

Yeah, unfortunately that always seems to be the way with the majority of people on there... Mad

Will be interesting to see what you come up with Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: an idea / experiment...    an idea / experiment...  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

an idea / experiment...
Page 1 of 1