Prickly-Critterz Forum
Prickly-Critterz Forum
Prickly-Critterz Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Can u place a 7 week old male with an older female for a friend!?

Go down 
+3
Melody
Lou
Kirsty
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Kirsty

Kirsty

Can u place a 7 week old male with an older female for a friend!?  Empty
PostSubject: Can u place a 7 week old male with an older female for a friend!?    Can u place a 7 week old male with an older female for a friend!?  Icon_minitimeSat Feb 04, 2012 10:37 pm

Hi, I was wondering if you can put a young male hoglet in with an older female? I'm looking to get a hoglet, but I know someone who is also trying to home an older female and wondered if that would be ok because of the age difference x
Back to top Go down
Lou

Lou

PostSubject: Re: Can u place a 7 week old male with an older female for a friend!?    Can u place a 7 week old male with an older female for a friend!?  Icon_minitimeSat Feb 04, 2012 10:41 pm

NO under no circumstances should you keep a male and female together ... hogs can mate from 5 weeks old . You really do need to do some research Kirsty before you home any ...x Hedgehogs are solitary creatures so need to be housed on their own occassionally you may get 2 females that get on but a extra large housing unit would be needed ..x

Last edited by Lou on Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100003745145643&ref=t
Kirsty

Kirsty

PostSubject: Re: Can u place a 7 week old male with an older female for a friend!?    Can u place a 7 week old male with an older female for a friend!?  Icon_minitimeSat Feb 04, 2012 10:42 pm

That's why I asked. Can males go together? X
Back to top Go down
Lou

Lou

PostSubject: Re: Can u place a 7 week old male with an older female for a friend!?    Can u place a 7 week old male with an older female for a friend!?  Icon_minitimeSat Feb 04, 2012 10:43 pm

Kirsty wrote:
That's why I asked. Can males go together? X

No males can and will fight sometimes to the death . As i just said they are solitary animals .x
Back to top Go down
Melody
Admin
Admin
Melody

PostSubject: Re: Can u place a 7 week old male with an older female for a friend!?    Can u place a 7 week old male with an older female for a friend!?  Icon_minitimeSat Feb 04, 2012 10:45 pm

Hi Kirsty, no is probably the best answer for a number of reasons....
1. The boy will want to mate with the female, anytime from just around 5-6 weeks old, no matter how old the female is.
2. Unless you have gained experience and knowledge about breeding, it's best to not jump into breeding at this early stage.
3. Any ethical breeder would only allow this if the male wasn't too young.
4. Any ethical breeder would only allow this if they knew the full linage of the parents. This ensures that healthy babies are born and there is very little risk of inbreeding.

It would be safer to have two separate living spaces for the hedgehogs.
Thanks for checking it out Hun.

I hope this helps!

xoxox
Back to top Go down
Lou

Lou

PostSubject: Re: Can u place a 7 week old male with an older female for a friend!?    Can u place a 7 week old male with an older female for a friend!?  Icon_minitimeSat Feb 04, 2012 10:48 pm

Maybe if you no someone that is wanting to rehome a female that you could recommend she joins her and we put her through the rescue this way she would go to a foster carer and then on to a experienced home .
Back to top Go down
Lou

Lou

PostSubject: Re: Can u place a 7 week old male with an older female for a friend!?    Can u place a 7 week old male with an older female for a friend!?  Icon_minitimeSat Feb 04, 2012 10:49 pm

Lou wrote:
Maybe if you no someone that is wanting to rehome a female that you could recommend she joins her and we put her through the rescue this way she would go to a foster carer and then on to a experienced home .

I think anyone who is thinking about breeding which i didnt think was the reason you asked the question should have at least 12months experience with APH and then have a mentor of a ethical breeder ..x Good you are researching before purchasing thou Kirsty .x
Back to top Go down
Kirsty

Kirsty

PostSubject: Re: Can u place a 7 week old male with an older female for a friend!?    Can u place a 7 week old male with an older female for a friend!?  Icon_minitimeSat Feb 04, 2012 10:57 pm

Def not for breeding lol. As nice as it would be, I dnt have the time or the experience. In that case I may rehome her but keep her separate. Thanks guys x
Back to top Go down
Josie

Josie

PostSubject: Re: Can u place a 7 week old male with an older female for a friend!?    Can u place a 7 week old male with an older female for a friend!?  Icon_minitimeSat Feb 04, 2012 11:26 pm

Animals don't see age difference like we do hun, if a boy and girl are together they will mate regardless of age xxx
Back to top Go down
Cathy

Cathy

PostSubject: Re: Can u place a 7 week old male with an older female for a friend!?    Can u place a 7 week old male with an older female for a friend!?  Icon_minitimeSun Feb 05, 2012 8:51 am

Also if the female is over 12 months old and has never had a litter, if she's made pregnant after 12 months old having the babies will kill her as her pelvis would have fused together. Once a female hits 12 months and hasn't had babies he cannot be mated. And boys are randy monkeys and will keep going at her x
Back to top Go down
tayer
tayer

PostSubject: Re: Can u place a 7 week old male with an older female for a friend!?    Can u place a 7 week old male with an older female for a friend!?  Icon_minitimeSun Feb 05, 2012 8:52 am

or relation....
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/PethauPigioghedgehogs

PostSubject: Re: Can u place a 7 week old male with an older female for a friend!?    Can u place a 7 week old male with an older female for a friend!?  Icon_minitimeSun Feb 05, 2012 8:57 am

Also just one more point to add - any hog that is rehomed should be checked over for mites - in an ideal world we would like to think that all hoggies that are going to be rehomed etc will be in full health but sadly this is not always the case and precaution is the best step forward.
Back to top Go down
Melody
Admin
Admin
Melody

PostSubject: Re: Can u place a 7 week old male with an older female for a friend!?    Can u place a 7 week old male with an older female for a friend!?  Icon_minitimeSun Feb 05, 2012 10:36 am

Cathy wrote:
Also if the female is over 12 months old and has never had a litter, if she's made pregnant after 12 months old having the babies will kill her as her pelvis would have fused together. Once a female hits 12 months and hasn't had babies he cannot be mated. And boys are randy monkeys and will keep going at her x

Blinkin eck, I didnt know that Cathy. That's my first big thing I've learnt today xx

xoxox
Back to top Go down
Lou

Lou

PostSubject: Re: Can u place a 7 week old male with an older female for a friend!?    Can u place a 7 week old male with an older female for a friend!?  Icon_minitimeSun Feb 05, 2012 10:45 am

They are similar to guinea pigs ... Mel their hips also fuse . Cathy is on the phone and when i read your comment she said " Oh you told me that Lou " lol .x
Back to top Go down
Cathy

Cathy

PostSubject: Re: Can u place a 7 week old male with an older female for a friend!?    Can u place a 7 week old male with an older female for a friend!?  Icon_minitimeSun Feb 05, 2012 10:47 am

Melody wrote:
Cathy wrote:

Blinkin eck, I didnt know that Cathy. That's my first big thing I've learnt today xx

xoxox

You learn something new everyday! xxx
Back to top Go down
Melody
Admin
Admin
Melody

PostSubject: Re: Can u place a 7 week old male with an older female for a friend!?    Can u place a 7 week old male with an older female for a friend!?  Icon_minitimeSun Feb 05, 2012 10:48 am

I try my best to cheers

xoxox
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Can u place a 7 week old male with an older female for a friend!?    Can u place a 7 week old male with an older female for a friend!?  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Can u place a 7 week old male with an older female for a friend!?
Page 1 of 1