Prickly-Critterz Forum
Prickly-Critterz Forum
Prickly-Critterz Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Hibernation Survey: frequently asked questions

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage

Hibernation Survey: frequently asked questions Empty
PostSubject: Hibernation Survey: frequently asked questions   Hibernation Survey: frequently asked questions Icon_minitimeTue Feb 28, 2012 7:48 pm

How often should I register hedgehogs that I see?

We are trying to get people to use this website to record every time they see a hedgehog between the 1st February and 31st August 2012. They will be asked to provide information about the date, location, number and whether the hog is dead or alive. If enough people submit sightings we should get a picture of hedgehog activity across the whole of the UK.

If I see a number of different hedgehogs in different locations on the same day, how do I record them?

We have tried to make the form simple and easy to use. Hedgehogs that are viewed in the same place on the same day can be recorded all together. Hedgehogs seen in different locations on the same day must be recorded separately: i.e. go through the survey form on the website twice.

Should I be worried about recording the same hedgehog over and over again?

It is unlikely that you will be able to tell whether sightings are different hedgehogs or the same one visiting repeatedly. Fortunately, it doesn’t matter – the survey has been designed to cope with possible repeat sightings. For example, if you see one hedgehog and then you see another hedgehog later that same evening, record this as two hedgehogs seen on the same night.

I do not have access to the internet – how can I record my sightings?

This is a web-based survey and unfortunately we do not have the resources to process hedgehog sightings through other formats (such as by post or over the telephone). Think about roping in a friend or relative who does have internet access to help you submit your recordings through the form on Hedgehog Street.

I remember when I last saw a hedgehog, do you want me to record sightings from the past?

No - currently this survey is for recording hedgehogs seen between 1st February and 31st August 2012. The form will only allow you to record sightings between these periods.

I am a hedgehog carer – should I log all the hedgehogs I receive for rehabilitation each time I receive them?

That information is best directed towards the British Hedgehog Preservation Society (BHPS). This type of record was not included in the 1970s dataset collated by Dr Pat Morris that we are using as a baseline for comparison. This data would also potentially compound the issue of whether some years have higher incidence of sickly hedgehogs (a higher than average abundance of parasites, for example).

If I am already registered in the champions area/to use the forum, do I need to re-register for the survey?

The website should recognise your log in details as a registered user but you will have to supply additional information about your home address that was not required to register for the other parts of the website. The log in process should guide you through this.

If I see other animals whilst on the lookout for hedgehogs, do I record them too?

The survey is intended for hedgehogs but if you see any other mammals whilst looking for hedgehogs then you can record these sightings through the Mammal Society website at: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

How do I record the location of hedgehogs I see away from home?

The more accurate you can be about the location the better. Ideally a grid reference will be provided in the format AB123456. You can use the Ordnance Survey website ‘getamap’ (http://www.getamap.ordnancesurveyleisure.co.uk/) to do this. Otherwise, a postcode, nearest town or county (in the least) would be useful.

What happens if I see a hedgehog and then it snows and I don’t see it again and then I see another later in the year?

Just record a sighting each time you see a hedgehog. If you don’t see one for a while you have nothing to record. Hedgehogs can go in and out of hibernation several times and these variations are natural and determined by the conditions.

Back to top Go down
Nellie
Admin/Owner
Admin/Owner
Nellie

PostSubject: Re: Hibernation Survey: frequently asked questions   Hibernation Survey: frequently asked questions Icon_minitimeSat Mar 03, 2012 12:32 pm

Good information regarding the Wildes .x
Back to top Go down
http://www.simplyexotichedgehogs.co.uk
tayer
tayer

PostSubject: Re: Hibernation Survey: frequently asked questions   Hibernation Survey: frequently asked questions Icon_minitimeSun Mar 04, 2012 10:21 am

i hardley ever see them in wales...Sad
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/PethauPigioghedgehogs

PostSubject: Re: Hibernation Survey: frequently asked questions   Hibernation Survey: frequently asked questions Icon_minitimeMon Mar 05, 2012 4:25 pm

Move to cheshire x
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hibernation Survey: frequently asked questions   Hibernation Survey: frequently asked questions Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hibernation Survey: frequently asked questions
Page 1 of 1