Prickly-Critterz Forum
Prickly-Critterz Forum
Prickly-Critterz Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Is a Hedgehog for Me?

Go down 
+2
Lou
6 posters
AuthorMessage

Is a Hedgehog for Me?  Empty
PostSubject: Is a Hedgehog for Me?    Is a Hedgehog for Me?  Icon_minitimeThu Apr 05, 2012 1:10 pm

One of the most frequently cited reasons for animals being placed in rescue is, “It wasn’t what I expected.”. This section is to help you know what to expect in a pet hedgehog.

You will have to provide a high quality food and pay attention to special dietary needs.

You will need to clean their habitats daily with complete scrubbing done weekly. Not all hedgehogs will litter train perfectly.

Hedgehogs need to stay warm – 72 to 75 degree environmental temperature is required.

You will get poked. Even the best hedgehogs have off days.

You will need to trim the hedgehog’s toenails even if they don’t want you to.

The hedgehog may self-anoint (spread spit on their self).

A hedgehog who is not friendly to begin with will require a lot of patience and respect to re-socialize.

The hedgehog will be happier with an exercise wheel and a place to hide.

If you do not handle the hedgehog frequently, they may not stay as friendly.

A hedgehog may bite, though it is unlikely. Anything with teeth can bite.

Not all veterinarians are familiar with hedgehogs, so it may be difficult or expensive to secure good veterinary care.

Hedgehogs often do not prefer the company of other hedgehogs.

Your hedgehog may never seek you out for companionship. Some hedgies do, but some do not.

The hedgehog may like you better than other people. Some hedgehogs adjust well to change, while others prefer the familiar.

Your hedgehog will prefer to be awake at night. They can make a lot of noise as they eat, drink and explore. Hedgehogs are largely nocturnal.

If your hedgehog is a baby, it will go through a phase called “quilling,” where a baby hedgehog is grumpy and loses baby quills.

Back to top Go down
Lou

Lou

PostSubject: Re: Is a Hedgehog for Me?    Is a Hedgehog for Me?  Icon_minitimeThu Apr 19, 2012 6:27 pm

I think this is a good all round post ... x
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100003745145643&ref=t
Gaga

Gaga

PostSubject: Re: Is a Hedgehog for Me?    Is a Hedgehog for Me?  Icon_minitimeThu Apr 19, 2012 6:29 pm

good informative post!! xx
Back to top Go down
roma keys

PostSubject: Re: Is a Hedgehog for Me?    Is a Hedgehog for Me?  Icon_minitimeThu Apr 19, 2012 6:58 pm

"The hedgehog may like you better than other people"......this is good because no bugger likes me! lol " They can make a lot of noise as they eat, drink".......well that's good, i may not notice the people i share the dinner table with so much! i think the hedgehog in definitely the pet for me Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Is a Hedgehog for Me?    Is a Hedgehog for Me?  Icon_minitimeThu Apr 19, 2012 7:05 pm

Now your comments put a huge smile on my face - wonderful x
Back to top Go down
horsy

horsy

PostSubject: Re: Is a Hedgehog for Me?    Is a Hedgehog for Me?  Icon_minitimeTue Apr 24, 2012 9:35 am

hi all ,
after doing lots of searching for info before deciding to look after a pygmy hog , this site is great and would hopefully stop some people from getting one which will soon be another unwanted pet
great site Smile
Back to top Go down
Lou

Lou

PostSubject: Re: Is a Hedgehog for Me?    Is a Hedgehog for Me?  Icon_minitimeTue Apr 24, 2012 9:44 am

Thankyouu Horsy we are still very new but we are building up slowly .x
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100003745145643&ref=t
Melody
Admin
Admin
Melody

PostSubject: Re: Is a Hedgehog for Me?    Is a Hedgehog for Me?  Icon_minitimeTue Apr 24, 2012 10:28 am

Roma, you are such a lovely person... I like you xx

Ally, I hope you are right! Unfortunately as outlined in the above post, too many peole buy our little prickly critterz on a whim withought much thought being put into their care and wellbeing xx

xoxox
Back to top Go down
roma keys

PostSubject: Re: Is a Hedgehog for Me?    Is a Hedgehog for Me?  Icon_minitimeTue Apr 24, 2012 11:42 am

aww thank you Melody......i like you too lol xx
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is a Hedgehog for Me?    Is a Hedgehog for Me?  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Is a Hedgehog for Me?
Page 1 of 1