Prickly-Critterz Forum
Prickly-Critterz Forum
Prickly-Critterz Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What is a Degu?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage

What is a Degu? Empty
PostSubject: What is a Degu?   What is a Degu? Icon_minitimeTue May 15, 2012 8:32 am

A degu is a rodent, originally native to Chile. A degu is most closely related to chinchillas, guinea pigs, porcupines. All of which are classified Parvorder Caviomorpha under Order Rodentia. It is speculated that degus are also closely related (though not necessarily classified as closely) to rats, gerbils and squirrels.

They are sometimes called a Chilean Squirrel, Brush-Tailed Rat or Tufted Tail Rat (although not closely related to the rats.) The last name is because of it’s long thin black tail with a tuft of black fur at the tip. They are quite the pest in their region of origin because of the destruction they can do to farms and crops. They grow to a body length about 9.8–12.2 in (25.0 to 31.0 cm) in length and a weight of 0.33 to 0.66 lbs (170 to 300 grams.) They were brought to the Unites States, Canada and European countries for scientific research. Degus are highly susceptible to diabetes because of their body’s inability to metabolize sugars correctly. For that reason it is not recommended to feed your degus anything with sugar or sugar products (molasses or corn syrup are examples.) It is also recommended to limit their intake of fatty nuts like peanuts or cashews to a couple times a month. I feed my degus raw nuts and shelled unsalted peanuts as treats.

Degus bond with their owners and will often give them “grooming” nibbles. Some people will say that degus don’t like to be handled but mine absolutely love it. If they’re not handled several times a day they get snooty and don’t come out. They love running around in sweatshirts and pockets.

Degus should always be kept in groups or pairs at the very least. They are community animals an live in packs of 20+ in the wild.

Behavior & Personalities

Degus have fun and curious behavior and personality traits. Eats & Snacks

What can and can't your degu eat and what are some fun treats they really like that you can reward them with?

There isn’t always a need to get specialty treats for your degu when you can often find some treats appropriate for your critter in and around your house, much of which is a great snack for yourself too!

Cherry or grape tomatoes (sparingly)
Dandelion leaves
Clover
1/2 of a baby carrots
Slice of cucumber
Lettuce, especially romaine
Parsley
Alfalfa or broccoli sprouts
Celery
Broccoli
Basil
Apple Stems (sparingly)
Grape Stems (sparingly)
When giving your degu treats from your local grocery or market it’s best to buy organic, that way you know no pesticides are in the product. Non-organic is okay too, just be sure to wash the surface of any dirt and possible pesticide residue as you would when about to eat the raw vegetable yourself.

When plucking things from your yard like dandelion leaves or clover be sure that you only pick flora where other house pets don’t use the bathroom, and where no one has sprayed to reduce weeds, pests or mosquitoes. You should also always rinse off in warm water anything you bring in and give to your degus.

Stay away from fruits, the high sugar content isn’t good for their systems. When I get apples from the store I tend to find ones with good stems and leaves attached to the stems, the degus really seem to enjoy the stems while I enjoy my apple!
Fruit wood, especially fresh from your apple or bunch of grapes can often have a higher sugar content than other woods so dispense them to your degus very sparingly.

Maybe it depends on the degu but my four tend to only like foods that are dry, if a carrot or tomato is too moist they’ll tuck it in a favorite hiding spot, or in the food dish and wait for it to try out before devouring it. If that is the case, make sure you take the food out if they don’t eat it in a couple hours. You don’t want rotten food in your lil buddy’s home!

If your degus are fussy like mine, I recommend dehydrating their snacks. To dehydrate in the oven you’ll need to have it on from 6-9 hours and that’s a waste of energy unless you are mass producing dehydrated treats. Instead consider one of the inexpensive counter top dehydrators. I’ve found a bunch on Amazon that are heated from the top (which makes for easy clean up) and seem to have positive reviews.

Oh and you could make yourself some healthy treats this way too!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Gaga

Gaga

What is a Degu? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What is a Degu?   What is a Degu? Icon_minitimeTue May 15, 2012 9:09 am

i like these - really cute Smile xx
Back to top Go down
Lou

Lou

What is a Degu? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What is a Degu?   What is a Degu? Icon_minitimeTue May 15, 2012 9:59 am

I have seen the in Pets @ Home they are really active and playful .x
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100003745145643&ref=t
Spesh

Spesh

What is a Degu? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What is a Degu?   What is a Degu? Icon_minitimeTue May 15, 2012 11:09 am

I adopted my first Degu yesterday from PAH and she is beautiful im fully in love with these little animals now!
Back to top Go down
Lou

Lou

What is a Degu? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What is a Degu?   What is a Degu? Icon_minitimeTue May 15, 2012 11:13 am

I knew there was someone on here that had adopted one i couldn't remember who though ... ( old age) You must put some pictures on lesley would love to see her .x
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100003745145643&ref=t
Sponsored content

What is a Degu? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What is a Degu?   What is a Degu? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What is a Degu?
Page 1 of 1