Prickly-Critterz Forum
Prickly-Critterz Forum
Prickly-Critterz Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Cage Cleaning

Go down 
+4
Botty31
gems
Lou
8 posters
AuthorMessage

Cage Cleaning Empty
PostSubject: Cage Cleaning   Cage Cleaning Icon_minitimeTue Jan 22, 2013 11:57 am

Light spot cleaning should be done daily.

Some people have good luck using a vacuum cleaning to vacuum up debris that collects during the day. Some people notice that there are certain spots where their hedgehog naturally likes to use the bathroom (many people have hedgehogs that primarily go to the bathroom while on their exercise wheel.) These are excellent locations for litter pans (or whatever you want to use to absorb the waste.)

Cages should be completely cleaned once per week. At this time you will want to remove and clean everything in the cage and throw out used bedding (unless you are using a cleanable material.) Many people like to use water and vinegar solutions either alone or after using soap and water. Vinegar works as a natural disinfectant and removes soap scum which may not be healthy for your hedgehog.

The best way to remove fabric liner without making extra mess is to take everything off the top first. Then gently fold each side in until you have a secure bundle. Take this bundle outside and shake loose as much debris as you can. Next, vacuum off any debris that didn’t come off when you shook the liner. Now the liner is good to go in the washing machine.

Exercise Wheels

Exercise wheels are likely to need regular cleaning as needed. Many people find they need to clean anywhere from every couple days to once per day.

If you want to prevent squeaky exercise wheels and extend the lifespan of this useful supply, then it’s a good idea to lubricate the ball bearings every few weeks. All you need is some vegetable oil or some Vaseline and a hair drier. Apply the lubrication to the bearing, then heat gently with a hair dryer and spin the wheel slowly at the same time. This will help the lubrication to get into every crevice.

Back to top Go down
Lou

Lou

Cage Cleaning Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cage Cleaning   Cage Cleaning Icon_minitimeTue Jan 22, 2013 12:15 pm

I have to do my wheels daily .... and i spot clean my cages daily giving a mass clean once maybe twice a week if needed .x
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100003745145643&ref=t
gems

gems

Cage Cleaning Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cage Cleaning   Cage Cleaning Icon_minitimeTue Jan 22, 2013 1:28 pm

i clean wheel everyday.and spot clean every day then full clean once a week.Theo is very tidy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Lou

Lou

Cage Cleaning Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cage Cleaning   Cage Cleaning Icon_minitimeTue Jan 22, 2013 1:29 pm

:O)) so is his mom Gem ... i only have to shake the crumbs off her liner always uses her tray x
Back to top Go down
gems

gems

Cage Cleaning Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cage Cleaning   Cage Cleaning Icon_minitimeTue Jan 22, 2013 1:30 pm

He definatley takes after her then Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Lou

Lou

Cage Cleaning Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cage Cleaning   Cage Cleaning Icon_minitimeTue Jan 22, 2013 1:31 pm

Smile good boy x
Back to top Go down
Botty31

Botty31

Cage Cleaning Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cage Cleaning   Cage Cleaning Icon_minitimeTue Jan 22, 2013 2:42 pm

I have to clean everything everyday , I must have the dirtiest smelliest hoggies x
Back to top Go down

Cage Cleaning Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cage Cleaning   Cage Cleaning Icon_minitimeTue Jan 22, 2013 2:53 pm

I tend to hoover the fleece liners - don't get too much mess to be honest, change the kitchen roll and wash wheels and bowls daily - full clean once a week x
Back to top Go down
horsy

horsy

Cage Cleaning Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cage Cleaning   Cage Cleaning Icon_minitimeTue Jan 22, 2013 3:59 pm

Felix is such a clean boy , unfortunately jasper even poops in his bed . Is vinegar and water best to wipe viv floor down ?
Back to top Go down

Cage Cleaning Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cage Cleaning   Cage Cleaning Icon_minitimeTue Jan 22, 2013 4:10 pm

I use this

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
horsy

horsy

Cage Cleaning Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cage Cleaning   Cage Cleaning Icon_minitimeTue Jan 22, 2013 5:38 pm

Will give it a try
Back to top Go down
tayer
tayer

Cage Cleaning Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cage Cleaning   Cage Cleaning Icon_minitimeTue Jan 22, 2013 5:57 pm

ooo i use that helen...the purple one...lol

my hogs are quite clean, except poppet...
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/PethauPigioghedgehogs

Cage Cleaning Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cage Cleaning   Cage Cleaning Icon_minitimeTue Jan 22, 2013 6:52 pm

I use any colour - just grab one when I am shopping!
Back to top Go down
tayer
tayer

Cage Cleaning Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cage Cleaning   Cage Cleaning Icon_minitimeTue Jan 22, 2013 6:54 pm

purple matches my kitchen same with the fairy liquid...sad...lol
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/PethauPigioghedgehogs
Melody
Admin
Admin
Melody

Cage Cleaning Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cage Cleaning   Cage Cleaning Icon_minitimeTue Jan 22, 2013 9:00 pm

I clean up the kitchen roll everyday, litter tray, bowls and wheel wash every day.

Fleeces get changed every other day although Puddin' and Ernie are super duper clean hoggies Very Happy

I got a small rechargeable Hoover for Christmas (I asked for it!) so that I could spot clean and I give a good proper scub and clean either Saturday or Sunday.

I use the blue one Helen, £1 odd in Home & Bargain Very Happy

I just use washing up liquid for my bowls and wheels

xoxox
Back to top Go down
hoggyhugs

Cage Cleaning Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cage Cleaning   Cage Cleaning Icon_minitimeWed Jan 23, 2013 3:55 pm

I clean his wheel every day too, together with his food and water bowls.

Hugs

JO xx
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Cage Cleaning Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cage Cleaning   Cage Cleaning Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Cage Cleaning
Page 1 of 1