Prickly-Critterz Forum
Prickly-Critterz Forum
Prickly-Critterz Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Albino Male

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
christina

christina

Albino Male Empty
PostSubject: Albino Male   Albino Male Icon_minitimeWed Mar 13, 2013 10:47 pm

Looking for some advice.

A friend of a friend has offered me a 2year old male albino. Haven't got any details yet only that she has loads of pets and is just about to give birth and has too many pets to cope with.

I have been told he is very friendly but was wondering what other questions I should ask. I have three girls and had all of them from hoglets from Charlie so never had this problem before.

Also I let the girls out all together in the evenings, can I let him out with them or separtely? Should I keep him in a separate room for a while or is it OK to put them in same room straight away?

I am sure I will think of a lot more questions (I am a bit of a worrier) but I would love your opinions and advice please, Thank you x

Back to top Go down
zombiewoman

Albino Male Empty
PostSubject: Re: Albino Male   Albino Male Icon_minitimeWed Mar 13, 2013 11:14 pm

Christina,

You will want to keep him quarantined away from girls for at least for 30 days or more. I have a place in same room but opposite corner and have sign stating quarantine animal. I wash before and after handling new animal. Boys and girls don't get play time together do to pregnancy. You will want to know what they are feeding him and keep him on that for a little bit and slowly convert to what you feed your girls. You might ask if he has ever been ill and does he like anything special or is there a trick to trimming toe nails. I am sure one of the ladies from over there will post soon. Lisa
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Qute-Quillz/318392471572041
Lou

Lou

Albino Male Empty
PostSubject: Re: Albino Male   Albino Male Icon_minitimeThu Mar 14, 2013 6:27 am

Hey Christine ...

All males should be kept away from females unless for a planned pairing/pregnancy i cant forsee any problems housing them in the same room , as i have never had any problems but i do check for mites when bringing a new hog home ...x

Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100003745145643&ref=t
Gaga

Gaga

Albino Male Empty
PostSubject: Re: Albino Male   Albino Male Icon_minitimeThu Mar 14, 2013 7:19 am

ive never thought about quarintine lisa, nice little idea!

when i rescued my Hugo i had him in the hog room straight away and did a mite check, just to make sure so i dont get mites on my pair, as he is male he will have playtime on his own, unless for a pairing as lou said.

some questions to ask are
any health problems?
been bred with before?
birthday too - so you can spoil him
you also want to find out if he has any places he doesnt like being touched
just general questions like that Smile xx
Back to top Go down

Albino Male Empty
PostSubject: Re: Albino Male   Albino Male Icon_minitimeThu Mar 14, 2013 7:57 am

Hi Christina

You do need a health background check - has he needed any vet treatment, general health, food preference and as Jake said his birthday.

He would need to be kept seperately from the girls as he will mate with them so he would need "solo" playtime and cuddle time.

If I know where any rescue hoggies have come from and know more of their background then I do not have the same concerns as if I was taking a hoggie in from a background I knew nothing about - if I know nothing about them, I generally treat for mites and in some cases ticks.

As long as you keep him to his home, seperate play time and cuddle time then this should really be sufficient in this case.

If you have the opportunity to go and meet him first and see for yourself how friendly he is -if you find he is friendly, the whole process of him moving to a new home will be a lot easier than taking on a huffy hog.

Good idea to weigh him and get his supply of biscuits and then gradually mix in your biscuits to change him over gradually.

If you need anything, please ask away xx

Back to top Go down
christina

christina

Albino Male Empty
PostSubject: Re: Albino Male   Albino Male Icon_minitimeThu Mar 14, 2013 9:50 pm

Thank you all very much for your advice. I am hoping to meet him very soon and I will definately be asking all these questions. If everything goes to plan he will be moving in Easter weekend. Thank you again xx
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Albino Male Empty
PostSubject: Re: Albino Male   Albino Male Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Albino Male
Page 1 of 1