Prickly-Critterz Forum
Prickly-Critterz Forum
Prickly-Critterz Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Albino Animals

Go down 
4 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

Albino Animals Empty
PostSubject: Albino Animals   Albino Animals Icon_minitimeThu Feb 23, 2012 3:16 pm

Albino animals are extremely rare and unusual. They have all the characteristics of others of their species except they are all white in color. Not one inch of their natural coloring comes through as their bodies are unable to produce a pigment known as melanin. Melanin creates the normal pigmentation and coloring in an animal’s skin, fur or scales. This lack of melanin generally results in the animal looking bleached all over, appearing white or pink.

Being white doesn’t mean an animal is albino. The true test is in the eye coloration. All albino animals have pink/red eyes whereas white animals with blue eyes are called leucistic, which means they may have a reduced amount of pigmentation in relation to a normal specimen of their species but it is not as severe as albinism. We have some of both pictured here.

Albinism is an inherited trait and is passed from adult to young. An albino offspring is formed from a specific combination of genes coming together in any species. Albinos are rare because the genes which cause albinism are recessive and rarely occur.

Approximately three hundred species across North America have albino members. There have been sightings of albino snakes, racoons, frogs and deer. It’s believed for every 10,000 mammals born, 1 will be albino and this shows how rare the condition really is.

Some famous albino animals include:

Snowflake – the world’s only known albino gorilla kept in Barcelona Zoo. Snowflake lived 39 years and passed in 2003 after suffering with skin cancer. It’s widely believed that Snowflake was the world’s most photographed animal.

Onya-Birri – a koala-bear kept at the San Diego Zoo. His name means “ghost-boy” in an aboriginal language.

Lightning – a deer born in Stirling in Scotland. Named Lightning because of his color and because he was born during a storm.

White Diamond – the world famous albino alligator who called the Serengeti park in Germany his home.

These animals are an exciting rarity that we should always feel privileged to witness.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Albino Chimp
Back to top Go down

Albino Animals Empty
PostSubject: Re: Albino Animals   Albino Animals Icon_minitimeThu Feb 23, 2012 3:17 pm

Cobra
Back to top Go down

Albino Animals Empty
PostSubject: Re: Albino Animals   Albino Animals Icon_minitimeThu Feb 23, 2012 3:18 pm

Peacock
Back to top Go down

Albino Animals Empty
PostSubject: Re: Albino Animals   Albino Animals Icon_minitimeThu Feb 23, 2012 3:19 pm

Alligator
Back to top Go down

Albino Animals Empty
PostSubject: Re: Albino Animals   Albino Animals Icon_minitimeThu Feb 23, 2012 3:19 pm

Bat
Back to top Go down

Albino Animals Empty
PostSubject: Re: Albino Animals   Albino Animals Icon_minitimeThu Feb 23, 2012 3:20 pm

Deer
Back to top Go down

Albino Animals Empty
PostSubject: Re: Albino Animals   Albino Animals Icon_minitimeThu Feb 23, 2012 3:20 pm

Dolphin
Back to top Go down

Albino Animals Empty
PostSubject: Re: Albino Animals   Albino Animals Icon_minitimeThu Feb 23, 2012 3:21 pm

Great Horned Owl
Back to top Go down

Albino Animals Empty
PostSubject: Re: Albino Animals   Albino Animals Icon_minitimeThu Feb 23, 2012 3:22 pm

Kangaroo
Back to top Go down
Lou

Lou

Albino Animals Empty
PostSubject: Re: Albino Animals   Albino Animals Icon_minitimeThu Feb 23, 2012 3:22 pm

I love Albino animals . Good post . I wonder if there is albino animals in every animal on the plant . This would be my favourite albino ...

Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100003745145643&ref=t

Albino Animals Empty
PostSubject: Re: Albino Animals   Albino Animals Icon_minitimeThu Feb 23, 2012 3:23 pm

Koala
Back to top Go down

Albino Animals Empty
PostSubject: Re: Albino Animals   Albino Animals Icon_minitimeThu Feb 23, 2012 3:23 pm

Squirrel
Back to top Go down

Albino Animals Empty
PostSubject: Re: Albino Animals   Albino Animals Icon_minitimeThu Feb 23, 2012 3:24 pm

Moose
Back to top Go down

Albino Animals Empty
PostSubject: Re: Albino Animals   Albino Animals Icon_minitimeThu Feb 23, 2012 3:25 pm

Otters
Back to top Go down

Albino Animals Empty
PostSubject: Re: Albino Animals   Albino Animals Icon_minitimeThu Feb 23, 2012 3:26 pm

Tiger
Back to top Go down

Albino Animals Empty
PostSubject: Re: Albino Animals   Albino Animals Icon_minitimeThu Feb 23, 2012 3:26 pm

Porcupine
Back to top Go down

Albino Animals Empty
PostSubject: Re: Albino Animals   Albino Animals Icon_minitimeThu Feb 23, 2012 3:27 pm

Hedgehog
Back to top Go down

Albino Animals Empty
PostSubject: Re: Albino Animals   Albino Animals Icon_minitimeThu Feb 23, 2012 3:28 pm

And of course, our beloved African Pygmy Hedgehogs

Back to top Go down
Lou

Lou

Albino Animals Empty
PostSubject: Re: Albino Animals   Albino Animals Icon_minitimeThu Feb 23, 2012 3:31 pm

I posted and is disappeared lol .. wierd ..

My favourite has to be the Albino Croc

Back to top Go down

Albino Animals Empty
PostSubject: Re: Albino Animals   Albino Animals Icon_minitimeThu Feb 23, 2012 3:35 pm

There were quite a few more as well, vultures, fish, lions and even turtles - just shows how diverse the albino gene is across the animal kingdom - I love the koala's
Back to top Go down
Melody
Admin
Admin
Melody

Albino Animals Empty
PostSubject: Re: Albino Animals   Albino Animals Icon_minitimeThu Feb 23, 2012 4:09 pm

I was fortunate enough to meet Snowflake at Barcelona zoo...

xoxox
Back to top Go down
Lou

Lou

Albino Animals Empty
PostSubject: Re: Albino Animals   Albino Animals Icon_minitimeThu Feb 23, 2012 4:09 pm

Meet or see him Mel .. that would be cool .x
Back to top Go down
Melody
Admin
Admin
Melody

Albino Animals Empty
PostSubject: Re: Albino Animals   Albino Animals Icon_minitimeThu Feb 23, 2012 4:14 pm

Well, I woldn't exactly say that I shook hands with him, but there was just a glass (thick piece) between us... there was also the most gorgeously handsome orangutan that took a shine to me and followed me everywhere there... it kept beckoning me over!

xoxox
Back to top Go down

Albino Animals Empty
PostSubject: Re: Albino Animals   Albino Animals Icon_minitimeThu Feb 23, 2012 4:18 pm

Lucky you - an ape magnet!
Back to top Go down
Melody
Admin
Admin
Melody

Albino Animals Empty
PostSubject: Re: Albino Animals   Albino Animals Icon_minitimeThu Feb 23, 2012 5:20 pm

lol!

xoxox
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Albino Animals Empty
PostSubject: Re: Albino Animals   Albino Animals Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Albino Animals
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next