Prickly-Critterz Forum
Prickly-Critterz Forum
Prickly-Critterz Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Hedgehog Bottom

Go down 
+2
gems
hoggyhugs
6 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage

Hedgehog Bottom  - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hedgehog Bottom    Hedgehog Bottom  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 16, 2013 4:20 pm

16 June 2013 13:38
Gill just loves baby feeding

PLEASE NOTE: This baby is NOT being fed with milk! Milk kills. We use a formula for animals.

Back to top Go down
Lou

Lou

PostSubject: Re: Hedgehog Bottom    Hedgehog Bottom  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 16, 2013 4:23 pm

awww he got there in the end lovely video
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100003745145643&ref=t

PostSubject: Re: Hedgehog Bottom    Hedgehog Bottom  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 17, 2013 5:34 pm

Update on the hoglets.

Fatty tearaway has spent so much time trying to eat the paper and the drawer front I figured he might be starting to wean so I gave him a small lid full of feed that he could take for himself.

First he pushed the lid round the cage with his nose, then he tried to eat the lid, half drowned himself in the feed then climbed in and paddled around in it.

Having been extracted, he rushed around like a nutter then grabbed the lid in his mouth, threw the feed all over the puppy pad then settled down to suck it. Sigh.

The tiny girl is causing concern. As the finders had kept her and fed her, I was unable to see how old she was when picked up nor what condition she was in. I suspect she was newborn and abandoned before she had a chance to have a first feed from mum. This is a death sentence and she is definitely not thriving. She was also ticking on arrival which indicates fluid on the lungs from incorrect feeding. Weight gains are tiny compared to the other baby but while she puts up a fight we'll keep going with her.

Please, if you find a hoglet get it to a rescue immediately, don't try to look after it yourself no matter how cute it is. You need the right feed, the right equipment, the right sterilising routines, the right heated housing, and most of all the knowledge of how to feed these guys, these are not puppies or kittens.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hedgehog Bottom    Hedgehog Bottom  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 19, 2013 9:09 am

Fatty Tearaway has got a toof. A teething hoglet is marginally less frantic than a tornado but just as destructive.
Back to top Go down
Lou

Lou

PostSubject: Re: Hedgehog Bottom    Hedgehog Bottom  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 19, 2013 10:07 am

Hope the little girl is ok x
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hedgehog Bottom    Hedgehog Bottom  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 19, 2013 6:54 pm

Ahhh Fatty Tearaway has just discovered the joy of babycat biscuits and self anointing. He has completely covered himself in spit and food. Delightful.

The tiny girl is still with us and still eating but not growing at all. She is going through the normal developmental stages of a hoglet, whiskers, nose, eyes and ears plus colour change but is still tiny.

It's unusual for these hoglets to last this long so I suspect we are either in for imminent hiatus or I'll end up with the world's first micro hedgehog.
Back to top Go down
Lou

Lou

PostSubject: Re: Hedgehog Bottom    Hedgehog Bottom  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 19, 2013 10:43 pm

aww I hope the little girl makes it
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hedgehog Bottom    Hedgehog Bottom  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 20, 2013 8:06 am

The Hedgehog Bottom Maternity Wing is now in full swing. Mum and 4 newborns just arrived found in a bag of compost.

Successfully transferred from bag of compost to maternity cage using the patented HBTCM (Hedgehog Bottom Transfer from compost to maternity) method and all appears well so far.

No pictures for at least a week I'm afraid but she has 4 of these

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hedgehog Bottom    Hedgehog Bottom  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 21, 2013 8:17 am

Yee ha! Today is National T-Shirt Day. So in commemoration of this momentous event, our t-shirt (and other stuff) shop is open.

Any t-shirt orders today, UK 21st June which ends at midnight GMT, gets free delivery if you quote the code TDAY2013. Overseas customers please check the final figure before checking out as I'm not sure how the offer applies to you.

It normally takes 2 working days for dispatch but expect a delay given the volumes likely to go through the stores.

Our shop is here
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Hedgehog Bottom Rescue - Hog Shop
This is the online presence of Hedgehog Bottom, a rescue centre in West Berkshire for the native Western European Hedgehog, Erinaceous Europae

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hedgehog Bottom    Hedgehog Bottom  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 22, 2013 12:37 pm

Good afternoon all.

Fatty Tearaway has now weaned himself with very little assistance from me. It would appear that Hipp Organic baby food made with Sweet squash and chicken is a huge hit with hoglets and needs to be devoured at all costs. Swimming in it is also good.

He now has that mixed in with some meat pate and it appears to be going down a storm. Weight is up to 145g.

Mum and 4 babies appear to be doing well although I haven't looked in the nest since they were originally settled. Mum comes out to eat, no babies have been chucked out and I can hear the little chirpers asking to be fed so all seems to be going according to plan.

All volunteers are tiptoeing around the place and talking in whispers so we don't upset her. Shhhhh.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hedgehog Bottom    Hedgehog Bottom  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 24, 2013 3:27 pm

Joy an update on the hog you brought in earlier.

She has just presented me with the most revolting thing ever to come out of a hog's backside. For starters it was full of dead maggots. Lord knows what's going on there, whether she's had flystrike and been invaded up the rear end, which I couldn't find any evidence of, or she's been eating something rotting.

Under the scope she's got roundworm - lots, fluke, coccidia and lungworm. Larvae wriggling all over the place which just goes to prove that a hog that's not coughing can still have lungworm.

She's had the Ivomec for roundworm which will also see off maggots, she's had antibiotics and fluids. I'll start her on Levacide in the morning as she's weak. Probably best if she stays here at least until she's reasonably clear and built up a little and then you can take her back for the remaining treatment.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hedgehog Bottom    Hedgehog Bottom  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 25, 2013 1:31 pm

Start the day in similar fashion to yesterday. Please God don't let it continue.

Phone call for two hoglets around 8 days old, found in a car park. They've just arrived thanks to a chap who drove them over from Burghclere. One is on its last legs and doesn't look like it's going to make it. Mouth full of fly eggs (flushed), very cold and doing open mouth gasps for air which is always bad.

The other looks viable, licked a tiny amount of warm rehydration fluid and both are now on heat.

The female that gave birth yesterday ignored her baby completely and it died at around 2 hours old. She has made a nest and was acting odd so there is a possibility she was having more. No sign of anything yet.

Fatty Tearaway is now eating by himself exclusively and runs around like a headless chicken in delight every time his dish gets filled.

Fannie Tearaway has picked up and is now taking feeds well. She's started doing jazz hands when presented with the syringe. Eyes should open in the next day or so.

The female with 4 babies appears to be doing well and looking after them properly, no babies chucked out of the nest but just to make sure I don't get too complacent, she started coughing her lungs up yesterday which is almost guaranteed to mean lungworm and she'll have passed it to the babies. Sigh.

Luckily the babies are now borderline OK to handle so I'll be starting worming on mum tonight and the babies as soon as it's OK to do so.

In addition to all the rest of the hassle had to deal with a call yesterday where a finder had been very badly advised by another 'rescue' resulting in the loss of the entire litter and mum's health now being so poor that she may have to be PTS.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hedgehog Bottom    Hedgehog Bottom  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 26, 2013 12:43 pm

Well a very sad day yesterday but with a happier ending.

The two babies delivered first thing both died. The larger of the two was having obvious difficulties on arrival and lasted for an hour. The smaller one looked viable but was horribly dehydrated and despite fluids died in the afternoon.

I suspect they had been without mum for some considerable time and in desperation had wandered out of the nest tying to find her. Pretty difficult when your eyes and ears are still shut. Sometimes you want to cry at what these little things go through.

On a happier note, Fatty and Fannie Tearaway are doing well. Fatty demolished an entire dish of baby biscuits all by himself yesterday and this morning was huffing and jumping when the mummy hand went in to check him. Barring any birth issues that aren't currently apparent, he will be fine and will stay here until he's large enough to fend for himself in the wild.

Fannie is taking syringe feeds very well, is putting on weight and about to open her eyes. Ears look like they're already open. She's not quite as advanced as Fatty was at this stage and isn't trying to lick up spills by herself so I expect weaning won't be quite as much of a breeze but she's looking promising.

Mum and 4 babies are looking after themselves.

The female that gave birth appears to be finished with all of that and nothing more is going to happen.

Prince Piglet Pumpkinsquash the Pfifth is doing great, still losing the weight slowly.

Son of Stumpy is off his heat pad, eating well but still doing the occasional nose clear. Will be off to the vet for a check and possible antibiotic switch.

Two of the hogs I was about to release have started coughing like loons, no sign of anything in the samples so not sure what's going on at the moment.

Everything else needs to be out of here ASAP so the phone is red hot.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hedgehog Bottom    Hedgehog Bottom  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 26, 2013 2:46 pm

Panic call, hedgehog down a drain floating in washing powder.

Found by a 2 year old who thought it was a birdie.

Unfortunately it's a large female that may or may not be lactating, not easy to tell when they've been cleaned with bio washing stuff.

She's a bit wobbly from cold, wet and shock, and very hungry. I'm going to have to take a risk and get her back as soon as she's warmed up unless they can find a nest with babies.

If you have a drain in your garden with no grate on it please cover it! NOW.

Swimming pool, ornamental pond? Either provide an escape route or leave shallow dishes of water round the edges of the garden and keep them topped up so the animals can drink without getting themselves into trouble.

We ended up with babies last year as mum and the other tinies had fallen into a swimming pool and drowned. If mum goes in the babies will follow.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hedgehog Bottom    Hedgehog Bottom  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 27, 2013 4:43 pm

Yesterday was gambling day.

I took the decision that the female from the drain needed to stay here. The finder and all her neighbours were on hoglet listening duty and nothing has appeared. Persil will therefore stay here now until I'm sure she'd safe to release.

Mum and the 4 babies have been left alone, food and water put in daily but otherwise no interference. After 7 days the nest stank so I had to do something about is as it was attracting flies. (Those who donated fly nets thank you! they are being well used.)

I don't like handling until 10 days if I can help it but something had to be done, so deep breath, grab mum and put her in a box, lift babies out with as much clean nest as possible then wade in. That is the messiest, most disgusting mother I've ever had in. They were knee deep in poo and she'd made no attempt to clean out. What a slut. All seems to be OK this morning.

I was giving Fannie her last feed last night when one eye suddenly popped open. She looked at me, I looked at her and she shut it again quick. I'm not THAT scary!

Both eyes are now open but she's still in the confused state of 'does not compute'. Give her 24 hours and she'll be all over the place and into everything.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hedgehog Bottom    Hedgehog Bottom  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 27, 2013 5:22 pm

Four more out this afternoon, Beaver to stay in a hutch for a week to finish a course of antibiotics then go home, Fifi, Naish and Hunter are going back to the wild.

Now, to all the volunteers, I don't want floods of tears round here when you find Hunter's cage empty. She needed to go, will have a lovely home and no, you can't visit.

Three of these had finders who indicated they wanted them back, all but one have not responded to emails so I'm afraid they have gone elsewhere. We can't keep them inside forever.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hedgehog Bottom    Hedgehog Bottom  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 28, 2013 1:44 pm

Fatty Tearaway is now Fatty Terminator.

He has turned into a ball of hissing huffing scariness. Well that's what he thinks anyway. It's actually rather funny but a bit on the ouchy side to pick up.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hedgehog Bottom    Hedgehog Bottom  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 28, 2013 4:47 pm

Oh poop. Just got Fannie Tearaway to weaning stage and two more coming in with eyes still shut. Bums bums bums.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hedgehog Bottom    Hedgehog Bottom  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 28, 2013 7:38 pm

Bad news, Mum and 4 babies are now mum and one baby. They all appear to have died naturally, no marks from mum having attacked them. The 4th one seems to be OK so fingers crossed.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hedgehog Bottom    Hedgehog Bottom  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 29, 2013 8:13 am

It never ceases to amaze me doing this job how you can go from completely miserable to totally ecstatic in 10 seconds flat.

The two babies that came in earlier having been dropped off at our vet were in a terrible state. They clearly hadn't eaten or drunk for some time and as there were no details about the circumstances in which they were found I have no idea what they've been through.

One was very flat, the other a little more aware but both had completely sunken tummies ad a lot of loose skin. These little ones should have a nice plump tummy.

I just went down to do the second lot of fluids and the flat baby has gone. It's so upsetting as he looked like he was curled up asleep, but sadly not. The second baby is still aware and wants to eat but is so thin I don't know if his organs are shutting down and nothing will save him. He'll get fluids every couple of hours through the night and hopefully can be saved.

Feeling totally gutted, I walked back past Piglet's cage and spied him running full pelt on his wheel! He jumped off and played a bit of noseball with his rattly, followed by another dash around on his wheel!

He may well have been on it before as it really is the most silent wheel I have ever met and no faulty plumbing noises to alert me. Go Piglet, weight now down to 521.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hedgehog Bottom    Hedgehog Bottom  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 29, 2013 5:40 pm

Two more lots of babies on the way. One lot from Basingstoke, one lot from Hampstead Norreys
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hedgehog Bottom    Hedgehog Bottom  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 30, 2013 6:31 pm

And....

I'll get there eventually, lack of sleep is making me think in small chunks

two more sent out today, to acclimatise and finish meds before release later this week. Mivicki and Wantage. Just hope they stay out of trouble this time.

Gosht, forgot about the other little. The boy who came in from the vet along with his brother who died soon after arrival.

Well having stayed up all night giving injected fluids, the following day I started syringe feeds. He is now fully hydrated and looking as a hoglet should, nice round tummy, eating well and this afternoon he opened his eyes for the first time so things are looking good.

OK peeps, update today, sorry it's late but I've been eyeing up mushrooms to see if I can turn into a domestic goddess. Failed. Ate them.

On the baby front:

Mum and her one remaining baby seem to be doing OK.

Mum and two babies that arrived yesterday are settled in and relaxed after their trauma.

Fannie Tearaway has teef, weighs 98g and is close to eating by herself.

The two littles from Hampstead Norreys are both hydrated, warm and feeding well. They are now marked and in with Fannie for company as they are very similar sizes and developments. Half an hour of mayhem ensued as they all climbed on each other and shoved and pushed but they have now settled.

Fatty Tearaway is no longer a baby. All the volunteers arriving for their weekly shift are amazed at the change. He is now a young hog and far too grown up to want hand feeds thank you very much.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hedgehog Bottom    Hedgehog Bottom  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 01, 2013 3:02 pm

This is the boy that came in the other day, flat and dehydrated. I post this to show even hoglets dream. Not sure what about, but it involves a lot of twitching.
Back to top Go down
Lou

Lou

PostSubject: Re: Hedgehog Bottom    Hedgehog Bottom  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 01, 2013 6:18 pm

aww so tiny
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hedgehog Bottom    Hedgehog Bottom  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 02, 2013 6:00 pm

There are certain noises you get used to hearing.

Hedgehogs snoring, hoglets peeping, lungworm coughs, contented snuffling, annoyed hissing and the strangulated cry of a volunteer discovering yet another female has given birth!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hedgehog Bottom    Hedgehog Bottom  - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hedgehog Bottom
Page 4 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next