Prickly-Critterz Forum
Prickly-Critterz Forum
Prickly-Critterz Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The hedgehog in my garden looks like it’s had one too many

Go down 
AuthorMessage

The hedgehog in my garden looks like it’s had one too many Empty
PostSubject: The hedgehog in my garden looks like it’s had one too many   The hedgehog in my garden looks like it’s had one too many Icon_minitimeFri Jan 06, 2012 12:43 pm

Can hedgehogs (or animals in general) get drunk from eating rotting/fermenting fruit?

A: Possibly, although it is more likely that the hedgehog is sick. We have seen elsewhere on the site that severe dehydration can lead a hedgehog to both daytime activity and a ‘drunken-like’ staggering. In effect, any hedgehog found out during the daytime (excluding a couple of hours either side if dark) and especially those found to be staggering should be provisioned with veterinary care at the first available opportunity. However, dehydration aside, the scientific literature is replete with references animals exhibiting symptoms we typically associate with having too much alcohol to drink. Moreover, a quick search string of “drunk animal” entered into video-sharing websites will bring up numerous home videos of many different species, from domestic dogs and cats to warthogs, squirrels and elephants who are acting in a way construed as being “drunken”.

Back to top Go down

The hedgehog in my garden looks like it’s had one too many
Page 1 of 1