Prickly-Critterz Forum
Prickly-Critterz Forum
Prickly-Critterz Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

If you need to rehome your hedgehog

Go down 
+3
tayer
Lou
Melody
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Melody
Admin
Admin
Melody

If you need to rehome your hedgehog Empty
PostSubject: If you need to rehome your hedgehog   If you need to rehome your hedgehog Icon_minitimeSat Feb 11, 2012 9:40 am

Sometimes in life, circumstances change and you may find through no fault of his / her / your own, your beloved pet hedgehog may need a new home.

This can be a very tough decision to have to make but if you know in your heart that you can no longer provide the care needed or your circumstances no longer alllow for you to keep your pet, then in the best interest of your prickly critter it would be best finding a forever home where he/she will be loved and given the full care and provisions that he/she needs.

There are plenty of people out there looking to give good genuine homes to hedgehogs but quite sadly we often see adverts for hedgehogs wanted, for free or as cheap as possible.

In the first instance, it is recommended that your first port of call should be to make contact with the person who bred your hedgehog. Most ethical breeders will offer a 'take back' service, however for those that cannot offer this then re-homing the hedgehog is the next best way forward.

When looking for that special forever home for your pet, please make sure you know that the potential new owner has fully researched the needs of a hedgehog including housing, diet etc. Hopefully you will be able to send him/her with their own belongings, favourite toys etc. If possible, please give the new owners a full care sheet outlining his/her favourite likes and dislikes etc. Also, please make sure that they are able to afford and have access to a vet who understands the needs of hedgehogs should they ever become ill.

You could even ask the new owner to register here on the forum where they can receive any support they need from our members.

If you are finding it hard to find a home or would like further advice or help then please contact us here at the rescue to see if we can help out or point you in the right direction.

Prickly Critterz- a helping hand for hedgehogs would like to ensure that all hedgehogs, of all species are given a good chance in life with the best care needed.

xoxox

Last edited by Melody on Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:15 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Lou

Lou

PostSubject: Re: If you need to rehome your hedgehog   If you need to rehome your hedgehog Icon_minitimeSat Feb 11, 2012 10:28 am

Great post Mel ..x
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100003745145643&ref=t
tayer
tayer

PostSubject: Re: If you need to rehome your hedgehog   If you need to rehome your hedgehog Icon_minitimeSat Feb 11, 2012 10:58 am

Thumbs up c
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/PethauPigioghedgehogs

PostSubject: Re: If you need to rehome your hedgehog   If you need to rehome your hedgehog Icon_minitimeSun Feb 12, 2012 2:57 pm

Great Mel xx
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: If you need to rehome your hedgehog   If you need to rehome your hedgehog Icon_minitimeSun Feb 12, 2012 7:27 pm

There seems to be quite alot of people advertising older hogs .there is one near me an albino male was 2 in january when i asked about him i was told he hasnt been handled since last summer Crying or Very sad and they have lost interest and no time.it makes me wonder what condition the hog and his home is like.feel sorry for him.
Back to top Go down
Lou

Lou

PostSubject: Re: If you need to rehome your hedgehog   If you need to rehome your hedgehog Icon_minitimeSun Feb 12, 2012 8:07 pm

we will be making some announcements ... regarding the rescue over the next few days .x
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: If you need to rehome your hedgehog   If you need to rehome your hedgehog Icon_minitimeSun Feb 12, 2012 8:48 pm

its a shame that alot of people purchase them and just loose interest and cant be botherd anymore.i know its happend with other animals for years but now alot hogs are being let down aswell.its very sad.
Back to top Go down
Lou

Lou

PostSubject: Re: If you need to rehome your hedgehog   If you need to rehome your hedgehog Icon_minitimeSun Feb 12, 2012 8:51 pm

It is very sad .. Ellie i have seen two rescues advertised on facebook why take them in if your going to sell them on .x
Back to top Go down
Melody
Admin
Admin
Melody

PostSubject: Re: If you need to rehome your hedgehog   If you need to rehome your hedgehog Icon_minitimeSun Feb 12, 2012 8:55 pm

I couldn't agree with you more Ellejo, that's why where possible we would like to advise people who find themselves in these circumstances on the best way to find a new forever home for these poor little hogs. Also, one of the many reasons we try and encourage as many potential new owners to really do their research beforehand and to take not consideration the 'what if's and buts' shoulld any of their situation change.

The sad thing is, sometimes people's circumstances do change and help is needed, however there are way too many people buying on impulse in the first place.

xoxox
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: If you need to rehome your hedgehog   If you need to rehome your hedgehog Icon_minitimeSun Feb 12, 2012 9:14 pm

so how does the rescue work? does the rescue buy hogs in need or do alot of people hand them in. sorry if this sounds a silly question.ha. Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Lou

Lou

PostSubject: Re: If you need to rehome your hedgehog   If you need to rehome your hedgehog Icon_minitimeSun Feb 12, 2012 9:19 pm

Both Ellie Jo .. we do pay to get some hedgehogs that we feel are in need more then others , and we are also given them . The Prickly Critterz rescue is very new and we are making some changes over the next few days ..so watch this space .x
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: If you need to rehome your hedgehog   If you need to rehome your hedgehog Icon_minitimeMon Feb 13, 2012 3:10 pm

i will watch this space. i havent asked the people for any photos of the hedgehog or his housing all i know is that he hasnt been handled in a very very long time. Mad
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: If you need to rehome your hedgehog   If you need to rehome your hedgehog Icon_minitimeMon Feb 13, 2012 3:32 pm

The sad reality is that people think that small pets do not need handling - such a shame
Back to top Go down
Melody
Admin
Admin
Melody

PostSubject: Re: If you need to rehome your hedgehog   If you need to rehome your hedgehog Icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2012 12:12 am

I thought seeing as more people are finding out about us.... and we have a lot more new members, I'd 'bump' this up....

xoxox
Back to top Go down
tiggyhedgehog

tiggyhedgehog

PostSubject: Re: If you need to rehome your hedgehog   If you need to rehome your hedgehog Icon_minitimeThu Mar 29, 2012 5:38 pm

this post really helped me, when i made the decision about tiggy and junior i didnt know what to do or say but this helped me thankyou x
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: If you need to rehome your hedgehog   If you need to rehome your hedgehog Icon_minitimeThu Mar 29, 2012 5:46 pm

Thank you Daisy xx
Back to top Go down
Lou

Lou

PostSubject: Re: If you need to rehome your hedgehog   If you need to rehome your hedgehog Icon_minitimeThu Mar 29, 2012 6:51 pm

tiggyhedgehog wrote:
this post really helped me, when i made the decision about tiggy and junior i didnt know what to do or say but this helped me thankyou x

Daisy you can still come on the forum and see updates on both Junior and Tiggy .. which should help .... your a brave girl .x
Back to top Go down
Botty31

Botty31

PostSubject: Re: If you need to rehome your hedgehog   If you need to rehome your hedgehog Icon_minitimeThu Mar 29, 2012 6:56 pm

I will keep you updated daisy on how tiggy is doing .... She is a beautiful girl and I will look after her for you :-) x
Back to top Go down
tiggyhedgehog

tiggyhedgehog

PostSubject: Re: If you need to rehome your hedgehog   If you need to rehome your hedgehog Icon_minitimeFri Mar 30, 2012 10:22 am

thankyou Smile xx
Back to top Go down
Melody
Admin
Admin
Melody

PostSubject: Re: If you need to rehome your hedgehog   If you need to rehome your hedgehog Icon_minitimeFri Mar 30, 2012 10:41 am

Hey Daisy... As hard as I know it has been for you, you have made the very best decision for Tiggy and Junior. We will always do our utmost best and more for all hedgehogs in our care and you can rest assured that both your babies will be very much oved and well looked after.

Big huge hugs to you Daisy, from me and my nearly full house xx

xoxox
Back to top Go down
Melody
Admin
Admin
Melody

PostSubject: Re: If you need to rehome your hedgehog   If you need to rehome your hedgehog Icon_minitimeTue Apr 17, 2012 10:55 pm

*bump

xoxox
Back to top Go down
tiggyhedgehog

tiggyhedgehog

PostSubject: Re: If you need to rehome your hedgehog   If you need to rehome your hedgehog Icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2012 9:02 pm

aww thankyou Smile xoxox
Back to top Go down
Elaine67
Elaine67

PostSubject: Re: If you need to rehome your hedgehog   If you need to rehome your hedgehog Icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2012 11:10 pm

Hi Daisy,

Junior's going to be a much loved, well cared for little hoggy.

My little girl Annice is 8. She used to have Stick Insects - her first pets. Every Friday she'd pick their food. She would choose every single leaf, and site it in their tank. She would get each bug out and 'give it a love'... and they were insects.

Annice has been saving 20p's. She gets them for being good and for doing little jobs. I think she has about £12. She wanted to spend the lot on toys and treats for Junior...

In addition, Helicia (aged 12) is looking forward to having Junior to cuddle and fuss - she says she'd love him to go to sleep on her lap.

As for all the practical stuff, leave that to me. I'm always here - reading up and asking (daft) questions. So I'm always a post away from help should I need it. I wouldn't have applied to adopt the lil guy if I didn't feel equal to the challenge of providing him with the best of care.

I hope that the weeks to come will put your mind to rest. I'll have to get you some photo's of him in his new zoozone with his bits'n'bobs around him.

Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: If you need to rehome your hedgehog   If you need to rehome your hedgehog Icon_minitimeThu Apr 19, 2012 7:36 am

And I need to get this little guy down to you ASAP - looks like the meet is the 5th May - let me see what I can organise.
Back to top Go down
Elaine67
Elaine67

PostSubject: Re: If you need to rehome your hedgehog   If you need to rehome your hedgehog Icon_minitimeThu Apr 19, 2012 9:12 am

Ok Helen,

If you could confirm asap I'd be grateful...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: If you need to rehome your hedgehog   If you need to rehome your hedgehog Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

If you need to rehome your hedgehog
Page 1 of 1