Prickly-Critterz Forum
Prickly-Critterz Forum
Prickly-Critterz Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Possible Rehome Needed

Go down 
+2
hoggyhugs
Nellie
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Nellie
Admin/Owner
Admin/Owner
Nellie

Possible Rehome  Needed Empty
PostSubject: Possible Rehome Needed   Possible Rehome  Needed Icon_minitimeSat Dec 27, 2014 10:16 pm

I have a lady coming across on Monday - she has inherited a hedgehog from a "friend" but she is struggling to cope with her as she doesn't come out of a ball!

The sad part is that this lady is approx. 5 years of age - as soon as I see her and get a feel of how she is, I will update, hopefully I can give the lady some tips to handle her and she can stay as it really isn't fair on her in her twilight years.
Back to top Go down
http://www.simplyexotichedgehogs.co.uk
hoggyhugs

PostSubject: Re: Possible Rehome Needed   Possible Rehome  Needed Icon_minitimeSun Dec 28, 2014 7:02 pm

Oh bless her, she does sound a nervous little girl. I hope someone local to you volunteers hun.

Hugs
JO xx
Back to top Go down
sue caldwell

sue caldwell

PostSubject: Re: Possible Rehome Needed   Possible Rehome  Needed Icon_minitimeSun Dec 28, 2014 8:25 pm

let me know how you get on Helen x
Back to top Go down
tayer
tayer

PostSubject: Re: Possible Rehome Needed   Possible Rehome  Needed Icon_minitimeSun Dec 28, 2014 9:28 pm

Awwwww, sad x
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/PethauPigioghedgehogs
Nellie
Admin/Owner
Admin/Owner
Nellie

PostSubject: Re: Possible Rehome Needed   Possible Rehome  Needed Icon_minitimeMon Dec 29, 2014 7:08 pm

Well, the rescue hoggie has been to see me today with her fab rescuer who just wants the best for her as she feels she has not made any progress in the time she has been with her.

After showing her how to pick her up and what to do, we made big steps forward with handling so much that she will be staying with her rescuer and I will continue to offer help and support.

Turns out this girl has been kept in a small cage - half the size of a Zoozone with no wheel or sleeping box, was not letting her go back in that and given her age, we have sorted things out from what I had spare, she now has a Zoozone 2, Fleece Liner, Heat Mat, Pigloo and a Larry Wheel - she needs to get some exercise as she is a tad porky.

Given my care pack out as well and due to the condition of her skin, I have advised her to treat for mites, my rug looked like a snow storm had hit!!

It may not be mites as she was bathed every week and this has probably caused the dry skin but given her living conditions and diet, it is a worthwhile precaution.

It makes my blood boil to know that the lady who owned her has another hedgehog which is being kept in a hamster cage so I am hoping that she is "persuaded" to give that one up as well - she is not good with animals so I shall be hoping that we get the other one ASAP.

In this day and age there is no excuse to keep an African Pygmy Hedgehog in such conditions and to feed such a poor diet.

The bare minimum cage size is a 3ft Vivarium or a Zoozone 2, they need a wheel, they need a heat mat or heat source, especially as they get older, they need to be fed on a varied diet consisting of a good quality cat biscuit, meat and veg - wet cat food is not an acceptable food.

Bathing - we have all seen the videos on You Tube but everybody needs to cut back on bathing, they do not need to be bathed more than twice a year and then that is only if they need it - continual bathing causes dry skin and can lead to respiratory problems if they are not dried off properly - it just isn't worth it especially in the winter months. Foot Bathing is all they need and again, only if necessary - whilst some hedgehogs "appear" to like water, most will avoid it and will only swim if they have to - so please bear this in mind. Don't do something that is not natural for them - it really is better for them to be treated properly - keeping their homes clean is all that is needed - they do not have a strong odour and if they get mucky quills, you can wipe with a baby wipe to clean them - I have only ever bathed two rescue hogs that had terrible skin problems and mites - they needed to have the dry skin washed away before they could be treated.

If you are not prepared to look after one properly then stick to a plastic fish in a bowl - I have taken many rescues over the last few years - some for genuine reasons and others, well, words fail me - you have to make time for them, plenty of play time over cuddle time keeps them fit and healthy, a good diet gives them all the nutrients they need - there are no short cuts to this - just what you have to do.

Above all, research research and research some more and make sure you check your breeder out properly - if they get rid of their retired hogs, avoid them as they should be responsible for them for life - not move them on to make room for a hog that can be bred from and above all, do not even think about having a hog if you cannot devote the time to look after one.

Hopefully, I would see less cases like I have seen in the last couple of weeks - it breaks my heart to see how they have been treated x
Back to top Go down
pammie
Rescue Committee/Carer
Rescue Committee/Carer
pammie

PostSubject: Re: Possible Rehome Needed   Possible Rehome  Needed Icon_minitimeMon Dec 29, 2014 7:30 pm

Well done Helen, an excellent ending for this little old lady x
Back to top Go down
hoggyhugs

PostSubject: Re: Possible Rehome Needed   Possible Rehome  Needed Icon_minitimeMon Dec 29, 2014 7:37 pm

Some people make my blood boil too love, why can't they do the right thing by their pets?

Hugs
Jo xx

Back to top Go down
Nellie
Admin/Owner
Admin/Owner
Nellie

PostSubject: Re: Possible Rehome Needed   Possible Rehome  Needed Icon_minitimeMon Dec 29, 2014 7:38 pm

I felt so flipping sorry for her Pam - luckily the lady who has taken her on is a huge animal lover and just showing her what to do and how to lift her etc has done the trick - she is having steamed chicken for tea tonight, but she woofs it down - planning on how to get the other one now, this Nellie shall not be giving up till we have her!
Back to top Go down
sue caldwell

sue caldwell

PostSubject: Re: Possible Rehome Needed   Possible Rehome  Needed Icon_minitimeMon Dec 29, 2014 9:36 pm

Good luck helen
Back to top Go down
fionac
Rescue Committee/Carer
Rescue Committee/Carer
fionac

PostSubject: Re: Possible Rehome Needed   Possible Rehome  Needed Icon_minitimeTue Dec 30, 2014 2:08 pm

Glad she's in better circumstances for her twilight years. Hope you can get the other one into better conditions too.x
Back to top Go down
Nellie
Admin/Owner
Admin/Owner
Nellie

PostSubject: Re: Possible Rehome Needed   Possible Rehome  Needed Icon_minitimeTue Dec 30, 2014 4:38 pm

Don't worry Fiona, I am keeping a check on the progress!
Back to top Go down
hoggyhugs

PostSubject: Re: Possible Rehome Needed   Possible Rehome  Needed Icon_minitimeTue Dec 30, 2014 8:47 pm

Good luck love, you are doing a great job.

Hugs
JO xx
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Possible Rehome Needed   Possible Rehome  Needed Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Possible Rehome Needed
Page 1 of 1