Prickly-Critterz Forum
Prickly-Critterz Forum
Prickly-Critterz Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Hello, new to the forum & learning about hedgehogs!

Go down 
+9
dovaston
Snufflehogs
pammie
netty66
tayer
Lou
Gaga
SueH
13 posters
AuthorMessage
SueH

Hello, new to the forum & learning about hedgehogs! Empty
PostSubject: Hello, new to the forum & learning about hedgehogs!   Hello, new to the forum & learning about hedgehogs! Icon_minitimeThu Jun 14, 2012 4:40 pm

Hi there,

I found my way to this site after seeing some very cute baby hedgehogs for sale. So, I'm here learning absolutely everything there is to know plus more. I would love one but I will not buy one until I'm absolutely confident I know I can care for and understand their needs and what I need to buy so my hedgehog is 100% happy. We've considered hedgehogs before Cam (husband) and me but now we are pet-less and pet-less doesn't not a happy home make.

I'm pet-less because my previous pets have been for the past ten years, rats and hamsters and their lifespans are too short. (Yes, I know hogs aren't rodents).. I had a cat but he was sadly run over. My quest for a pet is continuing.... but for hedgehogs... I'm learning and it's fun! Seeings pics of cute babies is awesome but I won't rush into anything.

So, that's my (lack of) hedgehog history! About me: My name is Sue, I'm 32 and live in Monmouthshire, Wales. I've lived all over the UK (Spalding, Luton, York, Newcastle, Edinburgh) and briefly in Russia as I teach EFL. At the moment I'm a stay at home mummy to my daughter, Katie who is two. I have husband Cam, we've been together 12 years and it's our 4th wedding anniversary this Saturday. We're going to meet The Gruffalo in Chepstow bookshop!

As well as Katie, I'm currently writing my first novel and am a member of a writing group, with the aim of publication in 2013. I also like: camping, caravanning, castles, books, fairies, wine, cider, tea and coffee Smile

That's me... I'm looking forward to getting to know some of you and and any advice, links on helping me learn about hedgehogs would all be brilliant. And hopefully one day in the not too distant future I too can have one Smile

xxx Sue
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hello, new to the forum & learning about hedgehogs!   Hello, new to the forum & learning about hedgehogs! Icon_minitimeThu Jun 14, 2012 4:47 pm

Hi Sue

Welcome to the forum - there is lots of advice in the stickies on the top of each section - warts and all - which we hope you will find of interest.

Any specific questions, please shout out - there will always be somebody about to help and offer advice.

I am currently mum to the following

19 APH
5 Tenrecs
4 Desert Hogs
1 Bearded Dragon
1 Uromastyx Lizard
1 Blue Tongue Skink
2 Dogs
1 House Bunny
1 Grunting Teenage Son
1 Tolerant Other Half - Nigel

I have been keeping and breeding African Pygmy Hedgehogs for over three years now and my love for them led me to tenrecs and then desert hogs.

I hope that things go well with your novel - I am an avid reader and admire you for writing your own book.

xx
Back to top Go down
Gaga

Gaga

PostSubject: Re: Hello, new to the forum & learning about hedgehogs!   Hello, new to the forum & learning about hedgehogs! Icon_minitimeThu Jun 14, 2012 4:53 pm

hello sue, i am Jake im 15, i have 1 aph called thistle, 1 puppy alled poppy and a cat called phoebe Very Happy

good luck with your book! i started writing a fiction book a year or so ago about the Titanic, i have a keen interest in the history of it, i started it, and it never got finished, one day i will finish it!

i hope you find the forum helpful, any questions just ask and someone will help you out Smile xx
Back to top Go down
Lou

Lou

PostSubject: Re: Hello, new to the forum & learning about hedgehogs!   Hello, new to the forum & learning about hedgehogs! Icon_minitimeThu Jun 14, 2012 4:54 pm

Hi Sue welcome to the forum . I am Lou . I am owned by 10 APH .. soon to be 11 when Murphy comes home on Saturday I also have Nigel and Sheila my desert hogs and one Tenrec called Tomsk .
I am also a breeder and have being doing so for nearly 3 years . I also have a cat called Bear and my children have 3 guinea pigs and one Rabbit and 4 out of the 10 hogs are theirs . I also have a very patient husband lol x

Good luck with your book thats fantastic ... x
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100003745145643&ref=t
SueH

PostSubject: Re: Hello, new to the forum & learning about hedgehogs!   Hello, new to the forum & learning about hedgehogs! Icon_minitimeThu Jun 14, 2012 4:56 pm

Thanks! Wow you have a lot of animals that's nice. Hopefully I've a few years before Katie starts grunting. Maybe though it's more common in males?

Right, back to reading Smile Oh thanks, novel work is done in nap times! First draft complete working on first edit. All good so far, hard work but rewarding.

No questions yet, I have them and then I find the answers. Oh but, what's best hog housewise for heating?
Back to top Go down
Lou

Lou

PostSubject: Re: Hello, new to the forum & learning about hedgehogs!   Hello, new to the forum & learning about hedgehogs! Icon_minitimeThu Jun 14, 2012 4:59 pm

Most hog owners will use heat mats that are run of a thermostat .
Back to top Go down
Gaga

Gaga

PostSubject: Re: Hello, new to the forum & learning about hedgehogs!   Hello, new to the forum & learning about hedgehogs! Icon_minitimeThu Jun 14, 2012 5:00 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

this link on the forum if you read the comments might answer your heat question sue xx
Back to top Go down
SueH

PostSubject: Re: Hello, new to the forum & learning about hedgehogs!   Hello, new to the forum & learning about hedgehogs! Icon_minitimeThu Jun 14, 2012 5:05 pm

Brilliant, thanks!
Back to top Go down
tayer
tayer

PostSubject: Re: Hello, new to the forum & learning about hedgehogs!   Hello, new to the forum & learning about hedgehogs! Icon_minitimeThu Jun 14, 2012 5:07 pm

Hiya sue, you sound like a very interesting person...Smile welcome to the forum and I'm glad you found us...Smile xxx
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/PethauPigioghedgehogs
netty66

netty66

PostSubject: Re: Hello, new to the forum & learning about hedgehogs!   Hello, new to the forum & learning about hedgehogs! Icon_minitimeThu Jun 14, 2012 7:36 pm

Hi Sue,
My name is Annette I have recently got a hoglet called Algernon. I have 3 Syrian hamsters, one goldfish, one dog, 3 children oh and my hubby!
This forum is great and everyone is very friendly although very mad too!! No question is daft or silly so ask away!
Back to top Go down
pammie
Rescue Committee/Carer
Rescue Committee/Carer
pammie

PostSubject: Re: Hello, new to the forum & learning about hedgehogs!   Hello, new to the forum & learning about hedgehogs! Icon_minitimeThu Jun 14, 2012 7:53 pm

hi and welcome!
how exciting writing your own book...what type of book is it? i cant believe no one has asked that yet!

im pam and i have 4 aph, a tenrec, a bearded dragon, a cat and lacy my dog. x
Back to top Go down
Snufflehogs
Admin
Admin
Snufflehogs

PostSubject: Re: Hello, new to the forum & learning about hedgehogs!   Hello, new to the forum & learning about hedgehogs! Icon_minitimeThu Jun 14, 2012 8:45 pm

Hi Sue!

My name is Melanie. I'm 36 years old. I have a husband and a 16 year old son. I also have a cat called Humphrey and a tortoise called Meldrew. As of tomorrow I will have my first APH! I'm very excited. His name is Hercules. There are loads of pictures of him on here in the 'Hoglet Pictures' section.

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://snufflehogshedgehogs.co.uk
Lou

Lou

PostSubject: Re: Hello, new to the forum & learning about hedgehogs!   Hello, new to the forum & learning about hedgehogs! Icon_minitimeThu Jun 14, 2012 9:47 pm

netty66 wrote:
Hi Sue,
My name is Annette I have recently got a hoglet called Algernon. I have 3 Syrian hamsters, one goldfish, one dog, 3 children oh and my hubby!
This forum is great and everyone is very friendly although very mad too!! No question is daft or silly so ask away!

affraid Mad that has to be Sheeley and Helen Netty .x
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hello, new to the forum & learning about hedgehogs!   Hello, new to the forum & learning about hedgehogs! Icon_minitimeThu Jun 14, 2012 10:02 pm

Oi - leave me a nd Sheeley alone xx
Back to top Go down
dovaston
Admin
Admin
dovaston

PostSubject: Re: Hello, new to the forum & learning about hedgehogs!   Hello, new to the forum & learning about hedgehogs! Icon_minitimeThu Jun 14, 2012 10:51 pm

Yep....leave us alone!!!!

Hello Sue and Welcome to our happy friendly little place. I am the sane one on here....

I have 4 Hoggles
6 Chickens
1 Cat/kitten (10mths)
2 Bunnies
1 Guinea Pig (not mine..my son's fiancee)
5 Children
1 Other half
1 Huge overdraft
Back to top Go down
roma keys

PostSubject: Re: Hello, new to the forum & learning about hedgehogs!   Hello, new to the forum & learning about hedgehogs! Icon_minitimeFri Jun 15, 2012 8:56 am

hi sue, i live in dorset with my 11yr old son, we have 4 jack russells, an 80+yrs tortoise called tommy and i have recently become forever mummy to my beautiful APH hope. welcome to the forum, it's a very friendly group Very Happy x
Back to top Go down
A M Y

A M Y

PostSubject: Re: Hello, new to the forum & learning about hedgehogs!   Hello, new to the forum & learning about hedgehogs! Icon_minitimeFri Jun 15, 2012 9:12 am

Hi Sue

Welcome to the forum.

I am owned by:
1 APH - soon to be 2
1 cat
1 bearded dragon
1 boyfriend
1 stepson.

Hope you find the forum useful, I know I did when I first started out xxx
Back to top Go down
zombiewoman

PostSubject: Re: Hello, new to the forum & learning about hedgehogs!   Hello, new to the forum & learning about hedgehogs! Icon_minitimeFri Jun 15, 2012 11:32 am

Welcome Sue, I am Lisa and we live over in the states with 6APH, two dogs, two cats and a tortoise. I have a wonderful husband and three teenage sons and all their friends. This is a great forum to be involved in , ask anything and some one will know or do research for you. We are a great big extended family on here. I am also an advid reader so can't wait to here about your book. Welcome
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Qute-Quillz/318392471572041
Botty31

Botty31

PostSubject: Re: Hello, new to the forum & learning about hedgehogs!   Hello, new to the forum & learning about hedgehogs! Icon_minitimeFri Jun 15, 2012 12:50 pm

Hi sue , I'm Jo, I have 4 hedgehogs , 3 dogs , a tortoise, a budgie, 2 teenagers and my partner mark !!! I have found this forum really helpful and everyone is really friendly and they help you with even the smallest things, I have sometimes felt stupid asking some questions but everybody has helped so if you need to ask anything please do because you will always get answered . Enjoy the forum xx
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hello, new to the forum & learning about hedgehogs!   Hello, new to the forum & learning about hedgehogs! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hello, new to the forum & learning about hedgehogs!
Page 1 of 1